What's new

Fall Recipes

Lot's of autumn recipes here. I didn't know. 👍 I was looking for a matsutake recipe but was glad to read epigene's info about imported matsutake. The local mushrooms are really expensive but if that's what it takes, I'll try it.

Grilled sanma with grated daikon & shoyu is one of my favorite dishes! 👍 But I don't like the way it smells up my place when I cook it so I just order it at restaurants. :)

Matsutake Meshi

I went to the supermarket at Shibuya Food Show the other day. A small Japanese mushroom (Iwate Ken) cost 2500 yen. Two large American mushrooms cost 2900 yen. Since I want to experience the full effect of Matsutake, I'm gonna try the Japanese mushroom from Iwate Prefecture.

No one's posted the recipe for this dish. Here's the version, I have:

2 cups rice
1 1/2 cups water
6 tbsp sake
1 cup matsutake mushroom, sliced
dash msg (optional)
2 tsp shoyu
1/4 tsp salt

Wash rice and drain. Combine rice with other ingredients. Cook in rice cooker until done. Let stand about 5 minutes before serving.

Yield: 4-6 servings.

I had an inspiration and thought matsutake meshi might be good as the main ingredient for omuraisu. Am I wrong?

Interesting idea! But...
Matsutake gohan is to enjoy the flavour of matsutake.
If you use it for omuraisu, the smell of omlette might kill the flavour (or crash against each other) - perhaps it is just a question of taste, but if I'd use kinoko (mushroom) for omuraisu, I'd rather use something like maitake, which has stronger in taste tha in flavour... you can add more kinoko, such as shiitake, shimeji, as well. And definitely "NO KETCHUP".

Thank you

Arigatou undrentide san,
Will do as you suggest--and no ketchup. I'll try some othe suitable okazu for matsutake meshi. Maybe nishime.

Anyway here's another good dish for autumn. Kabocha no nimono.

picW32EJK-1.jpg

You can find the recipe here: Japanese Style Simmered Sweet Kabocha Recipe - Food.com

Fall 2009

Summer officially ended yesterday, so it's time to resurrect this thread. Any more good recipes? Please share.

(Had my first sanma of the season last weekend. Oishikatta! 👍)

Sanma is great this season! Had it several times already since August. 👍

Bought some cheap matsutake last week and made tempura one night and matsutake-gohan the next night. Not as fragrant as the domestic (i.e., expensive) ones, but I can say I've had matsutake this year! 😌

Edit:
Would like to add that it is "shin-soba" season now! Soba at its most fragrant best!! Had some during the Silver Week holidays! 👍

Last edited:
Oden

I didn't know soba was an autumn dish. I'll have to try it soon.

Another dish that's great for autumn is oden (kind of a vegetable stew in fish broth). However, from my own example, most westerners will need to cultivate a liking for it. It takes time (like how some Japanese need time to cultivate an enjoyment of black olives). However, once you learn to like it, it's great and healthy! I recommend using a lot of mustard. Try it at an outdoor stall, yatai, or go to a convenience store - there's a price war going on and each item is only 70 yen. Great with beer!

Yataioden-1.jpg

The temp in Tokyo suddenly dropped from the low 30s to 20 C this week (15 C this morning) so autumn is definitely back again. Last Thurs was Autumn Equinox Day, a national holiday, so it's official as well.

Time to make some serious miso shiro.👍

(I like this thread. :))

Back
Top Bottom