What's new

Favorite Japanese snacks, desserts, drinks, etc. ?

Merging

Originally posted by kirei_na_me
Didn't we just do this a few threads down?

I've merged the 2 threads under this new title. Caramboo had started both topics.

Maciamo:cockroaches.... I just had to throw up! I must give it to you for being courageous. Never in a million years would I eat a roach.
Not even if I was in N.K. I would just go starving!
That must be an adventurous delicacy. More power to you!

My favorite drink is C.C. Lemon and the sekkihan rice roll.
My favorite candy are the meiji chocolate almond and white chocolate covered- strawberries. mmmmm

I love pocky ^^ when my friend went to japan she brought back pocky for me and I have loved it ever since (i think i scared her i glomped her) I love sugar! if it has sugar it's good (okay there are exceptions.) although this sounds kind of disgusting to a lot of people, the other day my dad brought home domino's dots. U know the sugarry stuff that comes w./them? I sorta.....drank it. yummy! sugar!:devilish: 👏 :)

i like spicy stuff!!!
ooh...and Mister Donut!!! Especially the donut pops i tried in Japan!!! Anyone tried that? Darn.... they aren't available in Singapore....

This is my new favorite...

Attachments

• burgers.jpg
    burgers.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 191
Well, the "bun" part is cookie, the "burger" is chocolate, and then there are actually bits of sesame seeds on top as the sesame seeds. They are very tasty little hamburgers... ;)

haha YUMM!!!
I haven't seen those here, but then I do purposely skip around the chocolate/sweets section........ :(

I just found those tiny burgers a few days ago, i thought they were going to be a atleast the size, of the palm of my hand, but they are soooo tiny *lol* , they look quite big in the picture. But they are very tasty, i can stick a whole packet of them in my mouth.. :)

ooooh my gosh i absolutely love
1. mochi with aduki paste
2. anpan
3. those chocolate things with the strawberry bit that someone mentioned before...the lil cone shaped things
4. raaaaaaaaaamen!!!
5. omochi like the ones you get at new years...
6. pocky!!! and yan yan
7. ocha!!! mmm mmmmmm....green tea ice cream!! woooo!

and much much more...heheh being nice and youthful i can eat almost anything without getting too tubsy wubsy :) actually i like nearly every food that comes out of japan. 😍

actually i dont know if this is well known, its a tube of candies with a little collectable plastic stamp at the end, its called Juicy or Jyuu C something like that and the candies specially the pink ones (peach?) are sooooo yummy!! i havent had any for a while tho my supplier closed down and i cant get them anywhere else!!! hmmm now that i thin kabout it, theyre white with flecks of pink...mmmm...:giggle:

oh man, i know this awesome japanese restaurant in Brooklyn that's not too expensive, i'd like to believe their food is authentic -- their miso and tempura tasts right, but i'm just a dumb amerikan -- but it sure is good.

anyone suggest a good japanese cookbook, maybe? also; other good japanese dishes i should try

====================================================
food kicks ***

Everytime I get paid I stock up on Pocky, Yan Yan, and gotta have the ramune!😄
I get some other stuff too (look at hellokittydiva's post up there) but those three are what I live for nyoo!
🍜

I think through wizzywig.com you can buy all these popular japanese snacks. mmm, wish i would have bought some imports in hawaii while i was there durrying the summer. :(
Ohh, i like chicken. and pie. but not chicken pies, they are nasty. and milk chocolare, i love milk chocolate. and saly and vinegar chips, they good. :p I like salted peanuts and all other kinds, cashews and even water chesnuts. :p

(I will exclude any non-Japanese snacks here.)

Pocky (all varieties), dried green peas with wasabi, lychee jelly, Hi-Chews (tried it once-not bad), tempura, drinks with boba, and some other snacks that I can't remember. I did try this shave ice that resembled cream anmitsu...actually I ate one of those yesterday at the mall. Now that I think about it, I think it probably was...:D

Just as a side note, at Suncoast, where I buy my anime DVDs, manga, and Newtype USA, they have a stall that sells many varities of Japanese snacks. Unfortunately, they're a little overpriced...\ :eek: /

I LOVE onigiri. It looks like a triange of white with a rectangle of black in the top middle, this forum has an avatar of it

Japanese Snacks: Pocky and other sweets

American: Pizza and sweets

Drink: Hot coco, Green Tea, and Beer (American, Mexican, or Japanese)

They have pound cakes that look like a cut log with tree rings called Baum Kuchen (German for "tree cake") . But my German teacher in high school told me this was made up by the Japanese and it doesn't exist in Germany.

Golgo_13 said:
They have pound cakes that look like a cut log with tree rings called Baum Kuchen (German for "tree cake") . But my German teacher in high school told me this was made up by the Japanese and it doesn't exist in Germany.
Why did that idiot tell you such nonsense? Of course it exists over here! Baumkuchen is a very well known and and well liked German speciality. Your teacher is a complete retard if he doesn't know that! :p
For some reason unbeknownst to me, it seems to be quite popular in Japan. Example: in the anime "Neon Genesis Evangelion", when Asuka tells Shinji to think German (so he can synchronize), the only thing he can come up with is "Baumkuchen" :D
Here's a recipe if you want to try it out yourself:
Baumkuchen recipe

"Why did that idiot tell you such nonsense? Of course it exists over here! Baumkuchen is a very well known and and well liked German speciality. Your teacher is a complete retard if he doesn't know that! "

I had that conversation with my teacher, a native of Kiel, who was not an idiot or retard by the way--he had a Ph.D., what degree do you have?--in the late 1970s which is about 25 years ago. Were you around in Germany 35 - 40 years ago when he was last there?

Has Baumkuchen always existed in Germany since time immemorial?

Or was it reverse-imported from Japan after it became popular in Japan?

Anman, mochi, edamame, onigiri, kaki, nashi, any kind of cake, macha aisu, 'dars' milk chocolate, lemonwater, green tea, hiamugi, cold and sweet milk coffee - and sometimes a 'sapporo super dry' or a good sake. (I leave away the non-japanese things) 🍜

BTW, Baumkuchen really is a well known traditional cake in Germany! I even watched a report in Japan about a japanese baker who went to Germany to learn how to do it. And my mum always told me, that she loved to eat it when she was still a child, that was back in the early Sixties and in North Germany, too! So, Golgo, in spite of your teacher having a Ph.D. he must have missed something there, I think. But according to my experience men often don't know about things like names of cakes and other stuff that is more 'women-related', especially those who are not that young anymore. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom