1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting in Japan without return flight ticket

Discussion in 'Japan Practical' started by Homerduff, Feb 10, 2008.

  1. Homerduff

    Homerduff ニ単ニ池ニ停?

    Jan 2, 2007
    Is it ok for me to enter Japan without a return flight ticket ? Or will they find this suspicious so they won't let me in ?
  2. Glenski

    Glenski Just me

    Aug 20, 2003
    Are you coming as a tourist or with a specific type of visa?

    Where are you coming from? Certain countries' airlines may be the barrier, not immigration or customs.
  3. Kyoto Returnee

    Dec 18, 2007
    I think possibly the later.

    They are genrally suspicous of foreigners so don't feel like the odd one out if and when you arrive.
  4. Homerduff

    Homerduff ニ単ニ池ニ停?

    Jan 2, 2007
    I'll be coming as a tourist from Belgium.

    Anyway, I currently do have a return ticket for April 15th. I could just keep this ticket and while I'm in Japan receive my return ticket for 2 months later. It's not that I'm losing money with it cause someone else is paying for my new return ticket.

    Actually, I first tought that I could cancel the ticket and still receive some money but now I'm afraid I haven't chosen for a certain option at the time of order that allows me to do this.

    So this should work right ? My passport will have a stamp for 3 months anyway right ?
  5. kenasto

    kenasto 先輩

    Apr 2, 2007
    You might not have to go as far as loosing money just to be able to show a return ticket. I would check a little more to find out if there is another way. As far as I know there is no strict law saying that everyone without proof a return flight will be denied entry into Japan. The overall impression of the certain immigration officer is important. He might not even ask for a return flight. Definetly you should not tell him you don't have a ticket yet. Knowing the exact return date etc. is better.

    Maybe showing a printout of a reservation (which you would cancel free of charge after entering) would be enough.

    One more thing to consider, today most tickets are paperless e-tickets anyway. It's hard to believe they would refuse entry to whose who don't have a ticket to show them.
  6. Glenski

    Glenski Just me

    Aug 20, 2003
    3 months or 90 days, Homer. Depends on your nationality, and 3 months does not equal 90 days, so be careful about overstaying even one day.
  7. Pachipro

    Pachipro JREF Resident Alien

    Jan 19, 2005
    Glenski is right. Don't chance it or you'll be banned from the country. I have never been asked ro show a return flight ticket, but that could be because it is already in their computer by the airline I flew with. I don' know, but what I do know is DON"T overstay your visa.
  8. FrustratedDave

    FrustratedDave Well-Known Member

    May 19, 2007
    There is no way you will be admitted into the country on a one way ticket, even if you have a three year visa. They simply won't let you in, end of story.
  9. Davey

    Davey 先輩

    Feb 5, 2005

    uuuh? Even if you have a three year visa... they won't let you in?

    I had a one year visa and a one way ticket. :geek:
  10. FrustratedDave

    FrustratedDave Well-Known Member

    May 19, 2007
    I had a three year visa and they would not let me in. I had to then go out and buy a return ticket so it could be entered in to the system. It waas then explained to me that you could not enter with a one way ticket.
  11. Mikawa Ossan

    Mikawa Ossan 気づいたらカッパだ

    Sep 17, 2005
    That might depend on the airport you enter.

    Although I don't remember specifically, I am pretty sure that I am here on a one-way ticket. At least I don't remember throwing out a return ticket (as it would have inevitably expired by the next time I went to visit my "home" country.

    At the time I had a three year visa. (Well, I still do, but it's not the same one.)
  12. Shouganai

    Shouganai 先輩

    Feb 19, 2008
    Is this a problem?

    I cant see this being a problem, particularly if you are getting a Japan Rail Pass. You could argue you intend to exit via Fukuoka via ferry to Pusan Korea, though maybe Korea has that policy. I cant recall it ever being a problem, though I just say I have a Japanese girlfriend, but thenI tend to.
    If you have a Japanese relationship, you suddenly smell like roses.:)
  13. Homerduff

    Homerduff ニ単ニ池ニ停?

    Jan 2, 2007
    I've asked for the reference number of my return ticket to the person who's financing it just to be 100 % covered if they ask.

    Thanks for the help.
  14. sk8rdal

    sk8rdal 後輩

    Apr 8, 2008
    Seems like everyone has a different opinion about the "return ticket". My question is, I'm a Canadian with a 1 year working holiday visa that is due to expire May 19. I will be flying to Australia May 4 and returning May 24. My visa will have expired by then along with my return flight to Canada which I have already extended once. I plan on entering on a 90 day tourist visa. Will I be required to show a return ticket when returning to Japan (Narita)? Is there some sort of card or form I can request at an Immigration office that will allow me to re-enter before I leave? Any help would be appreciated.
  15. lonesoullost3

    lonesoullost3 Economist in Residence

    Jul 1, 2005
    I'm going to be entering Japan in September with a 1yr "Cultural Activities" visa, and form what I heard, pretty much everyone who enters my program enters with only a one-way ticket.
  16. ArmandV

    ArmandV Seven Times To Japan

    Oct 18, 2004
    I really don't remember Immigration or Customs asking for my plane tickets to confirm that I have a return flight home. All they wanted was my passport and the card that was completed with the declarations.
  17. Glenski

    Glenski Just me

    Aug 20, 2003

    Not in your circumstances.

    It's the airline you have be concerned about. Unless you have a valid reason (ie, visa) which allows you to stay longer than a tourist, then the airline assumes you are a tourist. Tourists don't stay; they leave, and airlines will often want to see proof of that.

    Japan is also paranoid these days. I wouldn't be surprised if immigration looks more carefully.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  18. Shineko

    Shineko Mostly Harmless...

    Apr 20, 2008
    I have gotten into Japan with a tourist Visa, without having a specific return ticket. I had a return ticket, which I would have to use within a year, I only need to give the airline a call to get a return ticket reserved. They even let me in, even though I clearly stated I would be staying longer than just 90 days(as I did not really know what should I put into the paper for the tourist Visa application as I knew I would be staying there longer than that). The officer just said me to put 90 days in it.

    Before anyone says anything, I stayed there legally that one year I received my pre-college studen Visa few weeks later after the entry. The best was when I left, and of course they looked at the canceled tourist Visa first. The face of the working officer was unforgettable.
  19. sk8rdal

    sk8rdal 後輩

    Apr 8, 2008
    I'm back in Japan and thought I would share my new found knowledge about the "one-way ticket issue".
    It is the responsibility of the AIRLINE in the country you are departing from to ensure that you have a ticket out of Japan. If you do not have a departing ticket out of Japan, the airline will not let you check in. The airline is at risk of being heavily fined if they allow you to fly to Japan without an exiting ticket.
    Immigration at Narita did not check to see if I had a return ticket.
    When checking in at Brisbane Airport in Australia, they did ask to see my ticket out of Japan, (which I had purchased the day before).
  20. yusu0929

    yusu0929 後輩

    Aug 28, 2008
    I am a Canadian and leaving to Osaka in 2 days with tourist visa.

    Just phoned Air Canada and they told that you do not need a return ticket to check-in. You just need to explain it to the customs if they ask you.

    ..and you can always say that you are going to book a ferry to Korea at Fukuoka.
  21. Emoni

    Emoni My dirty underwear 900¥!!

    Sep 20, 2003
    Contact the consulate near you for a more accurate answer. Also, as everyone recommended above, don't play guessing games with immigration issues.
  22. yusu0929

    yusu0929 後輩

    Aug 28, 2008
    I got in fine last Sunday w/o returning ticket
    again only with a tourist visa

    I even had a desktop computer and LCD monitor with me and had extra luggages coming in by ship which I had to report at the customs even told the customs girl that I came to Japan to marry my gf.
    No question asked regaring returning ticket nor visa
  23. Homerduff

    Homerduff ニ単ニ池ニ停?

    Jan 2, 2007
    I also came here again with no return flight-ticket and on a temporary visa. They didn't ask a thing.

    It's all about your appearance I've noticed, if you look suspicious they might check you. When I was waiting to pass the immigration booth, I saw one young black guy with rasta hair taken to the office for further investigation. He was probably perfectly ok, but he just looked "suspicious".

Share This Page