What's new

How does modern Ainu really feel ? I'm very curious

Cantonesepow

後輩
29 May 2015
I still feel like I can't grasp the true feeling of Ainu people. If there is any ethnic Ainu here please message me or reply to this thread. I feel very fascinated by a Ainu, I wish to talk with an ethnic Ainu but never had the opportunity to meet one.

Here is my observation of Ainu today: From what I learned, at least on youtube and wikipedia.

- They clearly identify strongly as ethnic Ainu
- They are clearly trying to preserve Ainu tradition and culture
- They feel discriminated by the Japanese and many hide their identities.
- Their numbers are small from 25,000 officially to possibly 200,000 people.
- They were invaded and colonized by Japanese

.NOW MY QUESTION

Do they want to be independence and form a Hokkaido nation?

Do they want the Japanese people out of their land?

Do they acknowledge most of their own people look 0% Ainu and are in fact mixed with Japanese or are just Japanese assimilated into Ainu?

Do they understand ancient pure Ainu, and the Ainu before Japanese colonization century look almost like Caucasian? ( even if they weren't genetically ).

I'm asking this because I notice that most of the Ainu pictures in in the 1868 - 1960's look totally different to most of the Ainu pictures in 1995 to 2015 . And also all Ainu in past can speak their Ainu tongue but today only a few can speak Ainu, they can speak only Japanese.

How do they correlate and identify with each other? clearly the Ainu in these two centuries were completely opposite of each-other in appearance and linguistically? Do they acknowledge that they are different Ainu's ?

This is how Ainu in the 18th -20th century look.

21an4nb.jpg

And this is how most Ainu in last 20th-21th century

25rgq34.jpg

Last edited:
You are pissing into the wind with this topic here. Probably 98% of our posters are non-Japanese. The topic has been raised several times in the past years and I don't recall any Japanese replies to speak of and it's more likely you will have a Martian post here than an actually Ainu. If you read and understand Japanese , finding a website with actual Japanese posters might get you some replies , but you are really wasting your time here.

You are pissing into the wind with this topic here. Probably 98% of our posters are non-Japanese. The topic has been raised several times in the past years and I don't recall any Japanese replies to speak of and it's more likely you will have a Martian post here than an actually Ainu. If you read and understand Japanese , finding a website with actual Japanese posters might get you some replies , but you are really wasting your time here.

98% of the poster are non-Japanese?????? I though this was a Japanese forum.
What is the forum ? white people and foreigners worshiping Japanese culture ?

And by the way I can't write or speak Japanese.

Okay, so this forum is made of Gaijin worshiping everything Japanese ( people. culture, history )

I can't believe it's so hard to find a community of Japanese people posting in a English speaking website. Yeah, I felt pretty delusional to think I would find a ethnic Ainu here. Although a guy I know did talk with an Ainu but it was on a writing Japanese forum.

JREF=Japanese reference , kind of like an GOOGLE answer site. Many non-Japanese come here to learn about anything to do with Japan. Some come to learn about Manga and Japanese music. Many come here for help with the Japanese language. Some are traveling to Japan in the future and have questions to help with their trip. We have many students who want to come here to study under programs like Mext. We are lucky enough to have many non-Japanese who live in Japan and help members with their questions. We have a few Japanese members who are also super helpful in helping non-Japanese members with their questions. JREF is a super helpful site and usually a super polite topic site with controversial topics being largely ignored. When topics and posts get too argumentative , which is rare , they often get locked down. Members who join just to bring up controversial topics usually have a hidden agenda of their own , sometimes tied to a personal dislike of Japan and it's people.
Maybe some of our helpful members can recommend some sites in English that will give you better feedback.

98% of the poster are non-Japanese?????? I though this was a Japanese forum.
What is the forum ? white people and foreigners worshiping Japanese culture ?

And one obsessed Chinese nut.

Disappointed there are no Japanese biting your troll bait?

Back
Top Bottom