1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long does mail from the U.S. take to arrive in Japan

Discussion in 'Japan Practical' started by scott757pc, May 28, 2005.

1. scott757pc

scott757pc scott
    後輩

May 21, 2005
    I sent a friend a package almost 5 weeks ago and they still have not recieved it.It was supporse to take about 2 weeks I was told at the post office,lol.Luckely I insured the package.
    My friend sent me a package from Japan and it took less than two weeks.
    Has anyone else had problems with mail getting lost,being sent from the U.S.
    Thanks everyone
    Scott

2. Keiichi

Keiichi Hi
    先輩

Mar 9, 2003
    Where in US are you sending from? For me (from Hawaii, which is about as close as you can get to Japan with the US Postal Service) using regular USPS for mail and packages took less than a week. About 5 business days or so. Though these are to larger cities like Tokyo, Kanagawa and Nagoya. Not sure about smaller cities.

Keiichi

:souka:

3. duff_o_josh

duff_o_josh okonomiyaki=bliss
    先輩

Apr 2, 2004
    normally there is more then one way to send an item with the time or arrival starting at 6 days to like 3 months. the price difference is like 10$ for it to get there sooner. it sounds like you didnt get the faster shipping so i am assuming you dont have a tracking number. all you can do it wait the full three months unfortunately.

4. kirei_na_me

kirei_na_me Where I'm Supposed to Be
    先輩

Jan 31, 2003
    Yeah, if you want something sent there quickly, you need to send it Express, where you can track it.

http://www.usps.com/shipping/expressmail.htm

We live on the east coast and we have sent packages that got there in three days.

Like duff josh said, you will probably have to wait several more weeks for it to get there.

Oh, and no, I've never, ever had any problems with any damages. I have sent jars of my preserves over there, and crystal pieces, that have gotten there without a problem.

5. Mike Cash

Mike Cash Delusions of Adequacy
    先輩 Donor

Mar 15, 2002
    It can also depend on what was in the package, what was written on the declarations form, and how much interest Japan Customs took in it.

6. Brooker

Brooker Anjin
    先輩

Apr 10, 2004
    If I recall correctly, it didn't take too long for me to send something to Japan (less than two weeks) but it took FOREVER to receive a package from Japan (over a month) because America is very cautious about inspecting packages after 9/11.

7. hintgiver

hintgiver 先輩
    先輩

Jun 2, 2005
    I am going a little more along the lines of what duff-O-Josh said. Packages in the US can ship two ways one way (the more expensive of the two) will take 7-14 days (I usually ship this way because that's how long it takes.

The second options takes about 5-8 weeks and, thought cheaper, in my opinion, is not worth the money you save.

When sending a package ask for the fastest and ask how much it will cost and move up from there.

Regular letters usually arrive in a week