What's new

Japan Bashing

How far can a foreigner take criticism of Japan before it becomes inappropriate?

• No criticism is valid because it is not your culture and foreigners can't understand it.

Votes: 20 6.6%
  • A minor amount of criticism is acceptable, so long as it doesn't offend anyone.

Votes: 38 12.5%
  • Polite criticism is acceptable, as long as you take into consideration cultural differences while ma

Votes: 200 65.8%
  • Anything goes.

Votes: 38 12.5%
  • No opinion.

Votes: 8 2.6%

• Total voters
I don't think the issues over China are closely related to those over Japan in the 80's. I think the BIG differences are as follows...

Japan's products are high quality and they don't use known toxic ingredients, or substandard work.

The Chinese are communists.

-
My thoughts (from someone who never has visited their)

-> Japanese below the age of 40-45 years, World-War II guilt, must be tiresome. Show some respect. They had nothing to do with it

-> Their are exceptions to every rule

-> Germany and Japan were "more-or-less" equal in World-War-II. Yet Japan seems to receive more war guilt. The right-wing-nationalist, and old, but proud patriot makes this worse.

- -> Japanese culture and people, are a proud nation. Respect that.

- -> Stand up to truly obnoxious items. Mine recently was old Japanese soldiers parading in "Japanese World War II" uniforms. That is out-of-line. Millions of people all over Asia saw nothing but terror and fear, seeing that uniform.

- -> Japan gave us, back in 1980-1995 the best and affordable cars ever made. They are building the best hybrid-cars/small_cars.

_.

i think that because japan is so popular there are always going to be the objectionable ones that just have to put their 5 cents in. Those who actually care about japan(im worried about their decline in birth rates for example) should be able to criticize to a degree. big difference between bashing and criticism.

Japan receives more war guilt than Germany?
This may actually be true, despite the atrocities committed by the Germans. Japan often refuses to openly admit it did anything akin to that, despite the plethora of evidence, and it has a running wishy-washy attitude towards admitting comfort women or apologizing for the Nanking massacre or the Prime Ministers' visits to the infamous Yasukuni Shrine. They try to hide things like this in their history textbooks, too.

Sadly enough very true. I have an 'educated' doctor on another forum who vehemently cliams he has talked to the older 'comfort' women who were only complaining about not being paid enough and a former unit 731 'doctor' who claims that only death row prisoners were forced to undergo 'death' treatments. Since someone claimed tht only 3% are the vocal types, I'm wondering how big is the LDP and their supporters (the rural voters mostly with their 4 votes each)? Seems like it would be more than 3%. Brain washed and gullible as charged. Now if we could only get the bunch that believes in WMDs in Iraq we could have a real party!

Anything goes as long as the doctor, educated or not, is here.
Another forum is another one after all.
Advertise this site, and bring him/her here.

He goes by the handle of 'Oscar' in the 'Young Dude's Guide to Japan' forum. That forum primarily serves as a clearing house for tips and stories for guys who chase Japanese women in Japan and elsewhere, but they do also have another section that Oscar censors as he pleases whenever he can't argue his way out of a bag, which is most of the time. I doubt he would come here, he thinks he is too liberal after he has been kicked out of some other forums (which he declined to name). More than likely his rude manners and what he thinks passes for macho behaviour got him booted.

This may actually be true, despite the atrocities committed by the Germans. Japan often refuses to openly admit it did anything akin to that, despite the plethora of evidence, and it has a running wishy-washy attitude towards admitting comfort women or apologizing for the Nanking massacre or the Prime Ministers' visits to the infamous Yasukuni Shrine. They try to hide things like this in their history textbooks, too.
What? Whatever Japan feels about WWII I think people give Germany more war guilt/a hard time over it.

When people mention Germany what's the first thing that comes to peoples mind? The Nazis. What comes to people's mind when you mention Japan? Probably more likely the Samurai than WWII.

What? Whatever Japan feels about WWII I think people give Germany more war guilt/a hard time over it.
When people mention Germany what's the first thing that comes to peoples mind? The Nazis. What comes to people's mind when you mention Japan? Probably more likely the Samurai than WWII.

I don't think that's so true anymore, I know I don't automatically think Nazi when I think Germany.
Germany has done all it can and more to erase the stigma surrounding it's wrong doing in the war, they've apologized, made memorials, basically admitted they were wrong, formally apologized and did what they could to make it right and move on.

Japan on the other hand, all these years later still can seem to swallow their pride enough to just say, "we were wrong and we're sorry". That's all anybody is asking for. To try and get around that and all these years later still try to cover it up and deny it shows not only a lack of respect towards the victims but also true cowardice on their part.

Germany did do the worst crimes, by far, and it stuck, but at least they had the good grace to suck it up and say sorry.

I don't think that's so true anymore, I know I don't automatically think Nazi when I think Germany.
Well then I think you deviate from the average. Most people are pretty uninformed about the word around them and don't know how apologetic Germany has been and that they've even gone to the extreme of making it illegal.
Germany has done all it can and more to erase the stigma surrounding it's wrong doing in the war, they've apologized, made memorials, basically admitted they were wrong, formally apologized and did what they could to make it right and move on.

Japan on the other hand, all these years later still can seem to swallow their pride enough to just say, "we were wrong and we're sorry". That's all anybody is asking for. To try and get around that and all these years later still try to cover it up and deny it shows not only a lack of respect towards the victims but also true cowardice on their part.
Germany did do the worst crimes, by far, and it stuck, but at least they had the good grace to suck it up and say sorry.
Indeed. But all that being said, I think Germany still takes more heat for WWII. Well, outside of Asia at least.

I think nobody should bash any country, since it's hard to understand it's customs/culture etcetera when you haven't been raised there. I'm not sure what to say about politics though. People that run a country may not necessarily reflect a whole population's views, so I guess criticism is okay here, as long as it's constructive.

When people mention Germany what's the first thing that comes to peoples mind? The Nazis

Perhaps this is something particular to Arkansas or America. I would certainly be surprised if many people thought like that around here. If I asked people what was the first thing that came into their minds if I said Germany, I would expect the answers to be things like beer, efficiency, sausages or football rivalry.

Perhaps this is something particular to Arkansas or America. I would certainly be surprised if many people thought like that around here. If I asked people what was the first thing that came into their minds if I said Germany, I would expect the answers to be things like beer, efficiency, sausages or football rivalry.

I think music. I'm a big fan of german metal 👍

Indeed. But all that being said, I think Germany still takes more heat for WWII. Well, outside of Asia at least.

That's true. I think people remember it more as Hitler has become an icon of hate and fear, but I don't know if people would give Germans such a hard time anymore. I think the issue has been pretty much resolved and forgiven...but not forgotten.

On the other hand there are still countries calling for Japan to apologize and it's making the news how many years later. Japan is making it a far bigger issue than it really needed to be.

Well then I think you deviate from the average. Most people are pretty uninformed about the word around them and don't know how apologetic Germany has been and that they've even gone to the extreme of making it illegal.
I think you have it backwards, when someone mentions Nazis people imediately think of Germany. But, when Germany is mentioned most people think of something else, I know I think of Oktober fest. Maybe it is you that deviates from the average?

Well, first of all, Japan was way worse than Germany in WWII, there are many many sites that tell that story and I don't want o get into a disgusting conversation here about that. However i believe that that was 60 years ago, and nations change. I believe that bashing of anyone or anything should be acceptable, I'm not talking about flaming or physical violence here, but people should know what you think about them, this may be a radical opinion of mine here, but I bash all countries equally and I don't get offended when others do the same (maybe I'm just not very patriotic.)

No criticism is valid because it is not your culture and foreigners can't understand it.

One of the most dangerous and ignorant statements you can make in regards to another culture in my comparison. Looking, observing, criticizing, and analysis of another culture and practice, and further more, making it clear that it is important to back up and explain one's actions and meaning is absolutely critical to understanding the world and other cultures. The idea that "you're not of this group, you can't understand, you never will, you are not one of us and not the same" is a prejudiced and harmful mindset.

I completely agree with Emoni's post. Which makes this "Polite criticism is acceptable, as long as you take into consideration cultural differences while making it and know what you are talking about." the perfect option.

I mean what I say in a strictly educational focus of course. With the goal of understanding, analyzing, and ultimately benefiting both sides.

ANYONE who says "Oh, you don't understand, you aren't one of us." Is simply unable to answer the question and running away from the issue, or prejudiced. No one can understand how someone thinks and feels 100%, yes, but expressing and explaining can get you at least to 90%. Not saying or doing anything will assure it remains at 0% though.

I mean what I say in a strictly educational focus of course. With the goal of understanding, analyzing, and ultimately benefiting both sides.

ANYONE who says "Oh, you don't understand, you aren't one of us." Is simply unable to answer the question and running away from the issue, or prejudiced. No one can understand how someone thinks and feels 100%, yes, but expressing and explaining can get you at least to 90%. Not saying or doing anything will assure it remains at 0% though.

How long does it take?
it need more than 100 years.
i want to say " just read many books about that?
Or, is it an eternal mystery?

I think I call it stupid because time has already passed so much

How long does it take?
it need more than 100 years.
i want to say " just read many books about that?
Or, is it an eternal mystery?
I think I call it stupid because time has already passed so much

Sorry, I didn't understand this at all. I can't respond.

Back
Top Bottom