What's new

Japan has new and not to mention, much stricter Copyright Laws

For about hundred bucks You may buy overseas linux account and use command line client. That is quite untraceable.
Will You pay hundred bucks for downloading music?

Seems like the TSA in Japan...go overboard on security measures and punishment, then people will go to sleep again after initial news hype, and there will be workarounds again...it's all about money and who gets what from whom...

You mean Japan will only be checking old white women and infants?

100 dollars sounds like a good investment if you ask me. Isn't it?

Just trying to understand how much You are ready to pay for stolen music :LOL:

BTW, Japan has two most pirateous neighbors: china and russia. I think that You may get all music for free if You will make good friends here.

Just trying to understand how much You are ready to pay for stolen music :LOL:

BTW, Japan has two most pirateous neighbors: china and russia. I think that You may get all music for free if You will make good friends here.

I do have a question though, Does this law only apply to music or prolly elsewhere? What if they do not have the copyright over that material or something, can you still get sentenced for that?

Just stripping the copyright notification off a work does not strip it of copyright protection.

Try taking the price tag off an item in a store and walking out with it, saying you thought it must be free.

Just stripping the copyright notification off a work does not strip it of copyright protection.

Try taking the price tag off an item in a store and walking out with it, saying you thought it must be free.

This issue goes far beyond matters of copyright and music... :/ Definitions of piracy, what is being criminalized, penalty weight vs. crime, region restrictions, and excessively poor electronic distribution of content among tons of other issues are mixed in with this issue. Not to mention idiots making laws about concepts and topics that they seem to know little about in practice.

What irks me most is that they are now targeting downloaders. The situation is trickier than targeting uploaders since downloaders may be oblivious of the content until they finish download it. However, just by initiating the download, the downloader are subject to this law already... You can simply trick someone to download some illegal content, telling them that it's a homemade video for instance? And copyright holders have been known to have a history of overreaching copyright, targeting people who download legitimate contents. Definitely the law can be used as a tool to persecute people.

In Japan now, universities totally ban torrents, immediately shutdown the network if they detect any torrent traffic. I find this very stupid since there are many legitimate torrents, like linux distros. But well, people are just super paranoid about anything related to torrents these days. Even the P2P is a taboo word in many laboratories AFAIK.

And this kind of stupid law is not the end yet. The lobbyists here are pushing for the law to install network sniffers at ISP level to detect copyright infringement before they reach the internet. This, however, is crazy since that same sniffer can be used to sniff out people's traffic - a big violation to privacy. Unless there is anyway to legitimate access HBO and whatnot without waiting for a year, I'm gonna go with torrent.

Totally agree. I get so sick of seeing fear posters about downloading in Japanese universities...

I think the deal problem is not that people download crap illegally... But that the "Industry" still overvalues it's product far more than what it's worth. Especially in this day and age of easily accessable legal digital downloads (which again is overpriced). Who wants to pay $30 bucks for a physical cd or $60 to $100 or a movie that probably isn't worth it anyhow.
If say a digital download for a new album or movie would be like $5 then i myself would be more apt to get it than hunt for a bootleg
or illegal download.

haha the public response has shown just how effective this new legislation has been. Records sales are DOWN, which proves I'm not the only one who listens to a lot of music that--if I couldn't get it for free--I wouldn't miss much.

Back
Top Bottom