What's new

MEXT 2012 for postgrad.. please help

mokstar

後輩
19 Feb 2008
Hello,

I'm from Canada.
I'm a graduate student in architecture would like to apply to grad school in Japan through the MEXT Scholarship 2012. I will greatly appreciate it if you guys could give me some advices to higher my chances of obtaining the scholarship.

I've already finished all the requirements.

Q1: How much do base qualification on school grades? I am worried. It is around B-, and I heard they prioritize school grades and look for A students. Besides my grades, I am confident in my proposal, my Japanese (intermediate) and my portfolio (architecture students keep a portfolio with all their works: hopefully I can show it if I get an interview)

Q2: Should I write my proposal in Japanese? I know proving my Japanese ability is important. I wonder if I should translate my essay into Japanese, but I am also worried that my poor Japanese language skills will lower the quality of my proposal. Perhaps I could attach the English version? but I dont want it to be messy. I recently found a Japanese private tutor who could assist me in translating it into an authentic Japanese Essay, but not sure if they want the proposal to be pure effort of the applicants, and no interferences at all.

Q3: Should I quickly contact a Japanese professor and see if I have any luck completing my letter of acceptance in advance, in hopes to higher my chances? (finding a Professor to surpervise my research) Although it isn't required at this moment.

My weakness: mediocre school grades
My strengths: decent proposal, some Japanese language ability (around intermediate level), good school portfolio (school works - architecture)

My university choices are 1. Tokyo university 2. Waseda 3. Nihon 4. Meiji

I am a hard-working, and strong-willed person who have dreamed to study my major in Japan since forever. This is a very important opportunity for me. I would really appreciate your feedbacks!!

*The dead in is on the 20th, I have about 5 more days to revise or do anything before that.
Thank you so so much!!

HI Canada :)

First, grades are not so important. Mine are not so good too (but not so bad also). More important is that u know what u want to do and u have professor that will accept u there. They want to see u enthusiastic :)

No, write proposal in English, it will be ok.

Try to find professor soon as u can.

If I pass test, Ill go to Tokyo Univ, Department of zoology. But I have to pass test first. Do u know where I can practice my language skills? I need conversation on Japanese, or I will not pass test :(

Ganbatte

Hello,
Q1: How much do base qualification on school grades? I am worried. It is around B-, and I heard they prioritize school grades and look for A students. Besides my grades, I am confident in my proposal, my Japanese (intermediate) and my portfolio (architecture students keep a portfolio with all their works: hopefully I can show it if I get an interview)

based on my experience school grade does have a strong impact.
I am an A student. I dont have many publication, or if i can say none. The only researches ive done are my undergrad. thesis and intersemester simple research.
Yet, Ive already got LoA from Tokyo Inst. of Technology, they also nominated me to get MEXT scholarship. im waiting for the announcement this July.

I am a hard-working, and strong-willed person who have dreamed to study my major in Japan since forever. This is a very important opportunity for me. I would really appreciate your feedbacks!!
*The dead in is on the 20th, I have about 5 more days to revise or do anything before that.
Thank you so so much!!

hard-working is a valuable trait for Japanese. You should make sure that they know it. Write it! That s what I did when I applied to TokyoTech., because my previous research wasnt related to the professor's research. I told him tht im willing to work hard. Then, he was the one who design a proposal so that I can write it in the MEXT form.

Sorry for late late response.

Hello natasa,Thanks for your information. It gives me more hope.
Right now I'm fishing for a prof who would accept me. My first choice is also Tokyo University. (probably everyone else's too) lol
If you want to meet native Japanese speakers to practice Japanese with, here are some good sites:
sharedtalk.com
lang-8.com
good luck!

Hello thuwaljogja,Thanks for your information, its really helpful!
Right now, I'm only worrying about how to approach a professor without screwing up my reputation at first.. If you have any tips would you mind sharing? are there any strategies besides going through all professors' thesises and composing thoughts about them to evoke conversations? thanks!

mokstar, thanks for websites.
here is my experience with professors... two months ago i have found one professor on okayama univ. i have read a lot of his works, wrote nice application letter... an d nothing... after a month, i send another. and still nothing. i was looking at top 30 jap.universities, and thinking that im not good for the first 10. so, i pissed off, and one night i send 7 letters, to top 7, i wrote short application letter, without much fuss, just: im finishing masters studies, i want to go to japan, i want to do this and thins, here is my cv. (of course, it sounded nicer, but it is basically it). in 3 hours i have got answers form tokyo and kyoto. :) both were willing to accept me. i decided to go to tokyo just because i hope that there i will have better opportunities. but i LOVE kyoto. so, my experience is: dont worry so much. if they have need for international students, the will accept u. just tell to them that u are hard working and it will be ok. u cant screw your reputation, your cv is important :)

thuwa, i have heard that grades are not so important (they are, but not sooooo), and more important is that u are persistent and u have strong will to do it. i have friend who is there for 3 years, and she told me everything i know about mext.

well, i think every university has its own policy,
for my case, i think there s nothing else I can promote myself about, except my grades and TOEFL score.
So, i conclude tht they accept me because of tht.
:)

Natasa, Thanks so much for your input! That was really helpful becaue I could see myself wasting tons of time designing the 'perfect' application letter and not get anything out of it at all. My last question, hope you don't mind, is after you've sent out the first time and got no feedbacks, did you send again to the same professors from the same universities? I am afraid that I might ruin my reputation at the first try. if possibe could I consult you my letter? haha
anyway, thanks so much for the tip..!

Mokstar.... yes, I've tried once again to same professor. But, he didn't answer. Japanese people are like that, they can't say no, so he probably didn't want me, but he didn't want to be rude. It's weird for me, but Japanese are like that. I'll try to find my application letter and I'll sent it to you. You will see that it's totally simple.

you guys have contacts in japan already? that's lucky! i never had anyone to ask, i just submitted my form, hope i pass....

but mine was complicated looking. lol. can we compare application letters?

i am hard working but i did not write it down....... where to write it??

Hello everyone,
My name is Iken and I'm from the Philippines.
In my country, the last day of submission for MEXT 2012 was May 27th.
I'm getting very anxious and I'm waiting for the email from JICC. This is my second time to apply. The last time, I didn't even get passed the first screening so that was really terrible for me. I hope this time I made my proposal clearer.
I think mid-June around the 15th-20th, the announcement would be made on who passed the document screening (well this is for my country, not sure on the others). Good luck to all of us! Please let's keep this thread going so we can update each other on our applications.

mokstar, i'm not sure if grades will have so much of an impact but if your proposal is clear and concise, i believe that would make your application very solid. good luck :)

you guys have contacts in japan already? that's lucky! i never had anyone to ask, i just submitted my form, hope i pass....

but mine was complicated looking. lol. can we compare application letters?

i am hard working but i did not write it down....... where to write it??

Hi! happy to see another applicant from my country :)
May I know what is your field of study?
Mine is International Development and Cooperation.

Is there anyone here who has the same field study as mine?thanks

Hi! happy to see another applicant from my country :)
May I know what is your field of study?
Mine is International Development and Cooperation.

Is there anyone here who has the same field study as mine?thanks

Iken :D hi!
that's my field too!
It`s nice to meet someone in the same field.
if it does`t bother you, may I ask, what Uni did you choose?

Hi mariel!

Sure! I have chosen Hiroshima Uni., Nagoya Uni and Ritsumeikan APU.
Sadly, when I called the embassy here in my country, I didnt pass the document screening again. I don't know what happened. I was also able to talk to some of the prof. and even got contacted 3 of them. Anyway, I hope to send another application next year.

Goodluck to you! you can send me a private message
if you want to know the professors i have contacted.

based on my experience school grade does have a strong impact.
I am an A student. I dont have many publication, or if i can say none. The only researches ive done are my undergrad. thesis and intersemester simple research.
Yet, Ive already got LoA from Tokyo Inst. of Technology, they also nominated me to get MEXT scholarship. im waiting for the announcement this July.

hard-working is a valuable trait for Japanese. You should make sure that they know it. Write it! That s what I did when I applied to TokyoTech., because my previous research wasnt related to the professor's research. I told him tht im willing to work hard. Then, he was the one who design a proposal so that I can write it in the MEXT form.

Sorry for late late response.
Are you still active on this blog ? i have several questions if you please

Back
Top Bottom