What's new

MEXT Scholarship 2016 (Research)

Me again!

I did some research online gathering questions people get asked during the interview. This is everything I could find from other people's experiences. I have compiled them here. Hopefully someone will find them useful!
  • Tell us about your research proposal.
  • Why Japan?
  • How will your research benefit Japan and the United States?
  • Why should we pick you?
  • Tell us about your undergraduate thesis.
  • Why should we give the scholarship to you to do art instead of a scientist or engineer? Why is art important?
  • Are you sure you can do all of this work?
  • Why did you choose this school? Why did you choose this program? Why these professors?
  • What is your Japanese level?
  • What's your impression of Japan? What interests you about Japan?
  • Share a personal experience in Japan. What's the best thing that happened in Japan? What was the worst?
  • Are you afraid of Earthquakes?
  • Is your family/boyfriend okay with you leaving the United States?
  • When you return home to the United States, how will you act as a bridge between the two countries?
  • Tell us about your hobbies.
  • What will you do with your studies if you don't get this scholarship?
  • Are you applying for anything else?

Yes, any advice for the interview will be greatly welcomed.

I am an artist proposing to do research in art and animation... Should I bring a portfolio? Will they allow me to use it during the interview? My biggest concern is demonstrating what I want to do without visuals... But I suppose that's a concern for everyone, if you're doing physics all the way to painting. :)
So I had interview yesterday at Los Angeles Consulate. It was much relaxed and the interviewers were very nice. The interview session was about 20 minutes and I was asked by three people (one from local university and two from the consulate). The questions were basic just like any other Interview when you are applying for job so don't over stress yourself. "Be confidence and have fun." Sounds odd but that is tr best advice I can give you all.

Regional differences notwithstanding, the above list seems to cover most of the possible questions IMHO.

Just keep in mind that:

1) The beforementioned regional differences. Countries with more cordial ties with Japan / similar societal constructs (e.g. Malaysia) seems to have less of the whole "will you be able to adapt" aspect. Conversely, in countries that are culturally dissimilar with Japan, you can prolly expect the interviewers to be more concerned about your ability to adapt.

2) Your proposal and it's "Japan" factor. If your proposal is more clearly "Japan-centric" (e.g. Research into Japanese culture or politics or architecture or something), they're prolly gonna dial down the "Why in Japan" part. Prolly.

Also if your research is extremely technical in nature (like the theoretical physics guy a page back), expect them to not be able to poke much holes in your proposal and they would probably find another line of questioning.

3) Be mindful of trap questions. While I'm not sure if it was just out of the whims of my particular interviewers and if it had any direct impact on the interview itself; but in my case they did ask if I had any intention to conduct "additional" research outside of Japan during my studies there (which will clearly breach the terms of the MEXT scholarship). To which I declined, stating the terms of the MEXT scholarship would prevent me from doing so.

Again, not saying that they will actively try to trap you with cunning questions. But just be mindful nonetheless.

IMHO anyway. But as always, YMMV.

In the end though, while preparing for the interview would undoubtedly be useful, you also need to just be yourself. They just really want to see if "you" are a fit for the scholarship after all.

So yeah, "be confident and just have fun" is indeed very good advice.

Still wondering if putting private universities is counterproductive at the end, in MEXT guidelines it says:
6.1. If a candidate wants to enter either a public or a private university other than a national university, the grantee's preference specified in the Placement Preference Form may not be met due to budgetary reasons concerning school fees, etc.

Any thoughts?

Still wondering if putting private universities is counterproductive at the end, in MEXT guidelines it says:
6.1. If a candidate wants to enter either a public or a private university other than a national university, the grantee's preference specified in the Placement Preference Form may not be met due to budgetary reasons concerning school fees, etc.

Any thoughts?

From my readings on the Web, this clause is just that, a clause. It's there to make sure nobody sues MEXT for not placing people into the Universities they want.

While I've heard people get placed into their first choices even though it's Private, I've also seen people get placed into their third choices "even though" it's Private and the ones above it were National Unis.

In short, while theoretically having all 3 choices be National Universities might help your placement chances, in reality IMHO it's more the issue of vacant placement spots rather then whether or not it's Private.

Look at it this way, if your first choice is a hot (amongst MEXT, non-MEXT foreign students AND local Japanese ones) degree/doctorate in Todai (or any of the other hot Unis, aka the big 5 + Waseda / Keio), and your second choice is a less targeted course from a less prominent Private U, chances would be they would put you into the one with more vacant Placement spots (which, in this case, would most possibly be your second choice).

Maybe. Although I'm sure some number crunching is also involved, as we know MEXT doesn't have limitless budgetary resources at their disposal.

In all honesty though, even my theory above is sometimes suspect. Sometimes I even wonder if they just pick our universities at random instead lol.

As for me, other than hoping and praying HARD I'd actually pass the first (and second) screening, I do hope I get placed into my first choice, even though it's Private AND in those top 7.

Last edited:

Any thoughts?

I'm going to sound crazy, but I only have one choice for a school. I only put that single school on my placement preference form and it's a popular private university (Keio). I know it means by chances are low, but I don't think my chances are zero. There are several blogs across the web I've been referencing for this application process, and many of them got into private universities. I don't think I would have gotten an interview if MEXT was going against funding private-school students, so...

Fingers crossed, ha.

Hello everyone, I would just like to ask some questions or help but first I'll start with a small introduction. As of now, I'm an upcoming 4th year undergrad student here in the Philippines and I am really interested to do my master's in Japan, specifically Tohoku University and I'm planning to pursue Aerospace engineering.

So my quite confused which comes first? Should I contact my prospective professor in Tohoku first before apply for the MEXT Scholarship or it is the other way around?
Next is what's the best time for it? Also, I've read in the early pages that some people are making research proposal. Is it for the master's program? Actually, I don't know what should I do first and there's this entrance exam to worry about. Hm, I would like to also know if the exam is really difficult. Well, should it be expected because it's Tohoku? (I really want to study there tho </3)

Thanks for your time :)

I'm going to sound crazy, but I only have one choice for a school. I only put that single school on my placement preference form and it's a popular private university (Keio). I know it means by chances are low, but I don't think my chances are zero. There are several blogs across the web I've been referencing for this application process, and many of them got into private universities. I don't think I would have gotten an interview if MEXT was going against funding private-school students, so...

Fingers crossed, ha.

I remembered a few people from the past years got into Keio with this scholarship, and one of their rules in obtaining a LoA is that you can only have Keio as your choice in placement.

I also read from one of the blogs that as many as 30% of the MEXT students were placed in private universities. Probably old statistics but not bad I reckon.

Hello everyone, I would just like to ask some questions or help but first I'll start with a small introduction. As of now, I'm an upcoming 4th year undergrad student here in the Philippines and I am really interested to do my master's in Japan, specifically Tohoku University and I'm planning to pursue Aerospace engineering.

So my quite confused which comes first? Should I contact my prospective professor in Tohoku first before apply for the MEXT Scholarship or it is the other way around?
Next is what's the best time for it? Also, I've read in the early pages that some people are making research proposal. Is it for the master's program? Actually, I don't know what should I do first and there's this entrance exam to worry about. Hm, I would like to also know if the exam is really difficult. Well, should it be expected because it's Tohoku? (I really want to study there tho </3)

Thanks for your time :)

I think contacting a prospective professor in this case would be logical. Are you planning on applying for embassy recommendation? If so having a professor would help. You will also need to contact the professor in the case of University Recommendation (if any are to be offered).

In most cases I think you will need a research proposal anyway. It's one of the main components of the application. As for exams, I think the professor would be the best to advise. Although you can probably ask for past exams, or find them on the university's website. I have seen many of them posted.

Any thoughts?

I had the same question so I called the embassy and asked them. They said having a private university in your Placement Form is fine, but in this case you should have a very strong reason for it. They also suggested that in this case I should put one private university and two public ones, but this is not a rule, of course.

So if you are really sure about your choice in a private university don't hesitate, but maybe you should explain why that specific university.

Good luck everyone :)

I remembered a few people from the past years got into Keio with this scholarship, and one of their rules in obtaining a LoA is that you can only have Keio as your choice in placement.

I also read from one of the blogs that as many as 30% of the MEXT students were placed in private universities. Probably old statistics but not bad I reckon.

I've heard Keio prefers being the only option too. That's convenient, because it is the only school I'm interested in. I'm pursuing one of the Global30 programs and Keio's program is the only one that fully encompasses what I want to study... 30% is not bad at all. Let's hope I knock this interview out of the park! :)

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on all of this. This forum has been such a big comfort in this process!

From my readings on the Web, this clause is just that, a clause. It's there to make sure nobody sues MEXT for not placing people into the Universities they want.

While I've heard people get placed into their first choices even though it's Private, I've also seen people get placed into their third choices "even though" it's Private and the ones above it were National Unis.

In short, while theoretically having all 3 choices be National Universities might help your placement chances, in reality IMHO it's more the issue of vacant placement spots rather then whether or not it's Private.

Look at it this way, if your first choice is a hot (amongst MEXT, non-MEXT foreign students AND local Japanese ones) degree/doctorate in Todai (or any of the other hot Unis, aka the big 5 + Waseda / Keio), and your second choice is a less targeted course from a less prominent Private U, chances would be they would put you into the one with more vacant Placement spots (which, in this case, would most possibly be your second choice).

Maybe. Although I'm sure some number crunching is also involved, as we know MEXT doesn't have limitless budgetary resources at their disposal.

In all honesty though, even my theory above is sometimes suspect. Sometimes I even wonder if they just pick our universities at random instead lol.

As for me, other than hoping and praying HARD I'd actually pass the first (and second) screening, I do hope I get placed into my first choice, even though it's Private AND in those top 7.

Fingers crossed, ha.

I had the same question so I called the embassy and asked them. They said having a private university in your Placement Form is fine, but in this case you should have a very strong reason for it. They also suggested that in this case I should put one private university and two public ones, but this is not a rule, of course.

So if you are really sure about your choice in a private university don't hesitate, but maybe you should explain why that specific university.

Good luck everyone :)

Thank you for the reply.
I see your points. I wanted to put Keio as my first option because it has a really good program and professors for environmental issues. Still, I don't want to put only Keio… what if that fails and end up without University lol?, I rather go to Nagoya in that case.
In two days I send the documents so I must decide now.

Good Luck Everyone.

Thank you for the reply.
I see your points. I wanted to put Keio as my first option because it has a really good program and professors for environmental issues. Still, I don't want to put only Keio… what if that fails and end up without University lol?, I rather go to Nagoya in that case.
In two days I send the documents so I must decide now.

Good Luck Everyone.

How neat would it be if we both got into Keio? I hope that happens! Good luck to you.

I had the chance this year to talk to a professor from KEIO who has several MEXT students and while he didn't specifically say anything like that, He did tell me that if you put KEIO or a Private University (such as Waseda, etc.) as your first option and a National university as your second, chances are MEXT will place you in your second option. So, a way to improve your chances of being placed in KEIO is to choose private universities for all of your three choices.

Good luck to everyone!

I think contacting a prospective professor in this case would be logical. Are you planning on applying for embassy recommendation? If so having a professor would help. You will also need to contact the professor in the case of University Recommendation (if any are to be offered).

In most cases I think you will need a research proposal anyway. It's one of the main components of the application. As for exams, I think the professor would be the best to advise. Although you can probably ask for past exams, or find them on the university's website. I have seen many of them posted.

For the university recommendation how does that work? Should my university have a linkage to Tohoku first? Also the research proposal, I have made one in my undergrad course because I'm in the science department but does the engineering department require a research proposal?

For the university recommendation how does that work? Should my university have a linkage to Tohoku first? Also the research proposal, I have made one in my undergrad course because I'm in the science department but does the engineering department require a research proposal?

I think there are different types of University recommendation. Many are through university exchange, in which your university should have a connection to Tohoku. But I believe there are general university recommendation as well, where the university in Japan would help recommend you to MEXT (there is a separate thread for this on this forum). The process is a bit different and you would apply through the professor in Japan or the school.

I think the research proposal is very important and is a requirement for all applicants in any field. I am not entirely sure about University recommendation, but from what I have read it would be a requirement as well.

The selection process of university recommendation is slightly different from embassy recommendation. In embassy recommendation, the consulate/embassy is the one responsible for screening and nominating the candidate to MEXT. In contrary, for university recommendation, you will be nominated by the university directly.

The selection process of university recommendation also varies from university to university. Some university might not require that your previous university have to sign the MOU with them before. So, please contact your prospective university for more information.

However, you still have to submit the research proposal. They will use it as the screening material.

The selection process of university recommendation also varies from university to university. Some university might not require that your previous university have to sign the MOU with them before. So, please contact your prospective university for more information.

However, you still have to submit the research proposal. They will use it as the screening material.
Hello b4Imung,
In my university, they only have MOU with Nagoya and Yokohama. So it means that I need to do my research proposal. I'm quite unsure with what to write. It is because what I'm doing right now for my undergrad research is not related to aerospace engineering. Maybe I should ask the my prospective professor regarding this.

For US applicants, the consulate coordinator told me that the U.S. sends very few students. I've read that each consulate recommends like 1-2 students

I have a... kind of unrelated question.
Are any of the local government of your countries involved on the selection of the people who can start the process with the embassy?

For example, here in Mexico, the Foreign Relations Ministry selects the people who can submit their papers to the embassy and be called for the language tests.

I'm just really interested in knowing if this is applied somewhere else.
Yes. In India, the Indian government is involved in selecting the people who can apply for the scholarship. There are 2 Interviews conducted. One by the Indian govt and another by the embassy!

Yes, any advice for the interview will be greatly welcomed.

I am an artist proposing to do research in art and animation... Should I bring a portfolio? Will they allow me to use it during the interview? My biggest concern is demonstrating what I want to do without visuals... But I suppose that's a concern for everyone, if you're doing physics all the way to painting. :)
I would suggest you carry it with you :) just stay calm and be yourself! Look at the previous replies on this thread for the Interview questions! :)

Hey guys! Do you know how long the Embassy takes for contacting the selected students? (After the exam/interview)

hello! I have been MIA ): but I'm finally submitting my documents tomorrow.. hopefully I get my reply:: *too bad is not until the 15th and then the interview and exam on the 23rd ;_;*

everyone seems like they are just waiting for their results.

good luck everyone

Back
Top Bottom