What's new

MEXT Scholarship 2016 (Research)

Hey this advice is amazing i didnt even know email tracking tools existed, i actually thought about the english communication problem but my japanese is not good enough to make a formal email so i guess ill just stick with that. Whats starting to make me panic is the fact that i already sent emails to another university and its happening the same thing. Ill totally check those tools and im gonna change from hotmail to gmail just to make sure. Thank you for everything

Edit: Here is some insight of my communication with the student support office just in case its useful for someone. http://puu.sh/jjQon/1abaaf4949.png
Using Gmail is a good idea. A friend of mine got a reply from a professor about a month after she mailed him. And most of these professors do understand English. So, don't worry.

Is it possible to slightly change the research theme/title?
I mean, it's stated under the guidelines that it's not possible but would they (MEXT) really insist your master's thesis theme/title to be exactly the same as the one you wrote in your application?

Todai's process of getting a letter is a pain thought isn't it? Registered mail, and whatnot. This is topped only by Keio or Waseda's processes... The latter of the two requires four pictures.

Glad to know there are other people taking a shot at applying to Todai! In my case, I only had to send an email with attachments but they did ask for two additional referees and mentioned the possibility of an interview. I guess the procedure varies amongst the graduate schools...

Is it possible to slightly change the research theme/title?
I mean, it's stated under the guidelines that it's not possible but would they (MEXT) really insist your master's thesis theme/title to be exactly the same as the one you wrote in your application?
Dont think so. I had asked the embassy people during interview if I can change my research theme and all they said no. (But you can change it later on, like when u go to Japan and actually start studying)

w00t I love my professor already (no-homo) :D I just received an email with my LoA and he told me the physical version is already mailed ^_^
Yayyy! I am so happy for you! :) My professor got my documents yesterday. I hope she is not too busy and can fill it up, etc, and send it to me very soon! By the way, if it's okay to ask, which department is it? :)

Todai's process of getting a letter is a pain thought isn't it? Registered mail, and whatnot. This is topped only by Keio or Waseda's processes... The latter of the two requires four pictures.

As @wywoo mentioned, the process varies among the graduate schools :)
I don't think getting a letter from Todai is a pain (compared to what we had experienced throughout the application process).
I plan to use DHL/FedEx because Malaysia's Japanese Embassy will only send out the documents to passing candidates on 7th August.
So, I am dealing with my academic supervisors to fill in the graduate school's designated recommendation form while waiting for the embassy documents to arrive :)

Just finished sending the PDF documents to a graduate school at Todai. I hope everything will go well since I still have to send the hard copy by post :confused:

Dont think so. I had asked the embassy people during interview if I can change my research theme and all they said no. (But you can change it later on, like when u go to Japan and actually start studying)
Thanks! I've asked the same question to the university that I'm applying to and they said it should be okay, as long as it's under the same graduate school/department.

Hi friends, I have passed the first screening and now i am in the process of contacting universities. I have been contacting the universities but no response till now (I am scared LOL), I just got a respond from one Prof in Tohoku university but unfortunately he is about to retire after 1.5 year. What do you suggest me to do ?? I need your advice.

Is there anyone applying for Waseda?
Hi Shinon, I am applying for Waseda University as well, I have it as my third option and I already sent all the required documents last week.

As they mention, they don't give you any kind of confirmation when they receive it or let you know that they are processing your LoA (I know they received my documents because I sent them using DHL), unlike Keio which lets you know when they receive your documents (I sent them via e-mail) and start processing your application.

Good luck with your LoA process as well!

Last edited:
Hi Shinon, I am applying for Waseda University as well, I have it as my third option and I already sent all the required documents last week.

As they mention, they don't give you any kind of confirmation when they receive it or let you know that they are processing your LoA (I know they received my documents because I sent them using DHL), unlike Keio which lets you know when they receive your documents (I sent them via e-mail) and start processing your application.

Good luck with your LoA process as well!
Mind telling us what you first two choices were?

I am debating whether or not to pursue Keio and Waseda as second or third choices. I have a national university with a very vocal and involved supervisor lined up there - if my second and third were private unis of Keio/Waseda level, I seriously doubt they would do me any good beyond simply filling up the two lines on my placement form.

Thoughts?

Is there anyone applying for Kyoto University? I have not get any reply from the professor. Are they on holiday?

Ajeng,
Did you contact the faculty administration of the respective Graduate Schools? I wrote to my desired GS (of Management) and I received an answer ~6 hours after I sent out the email.
Guys and girls, I have two questions and it would be great if someone could shed some insight on them:

1) Do you all have to send your documents by post? Most of my universities mentioned that I need to send them the Embassy set of documents by email, no one (except Kobe university) has mentioned any sending by post/air mail. I haven't applied for a university in Tokyo, though, so this might be the reason.

2) What happens if we obtain a Letter of Admission from a university that hasn't been listed on our Preference form? I have 3 universities, but am writing to 2 more in order to secure at least one LoA (hopefully). Things are a bit rough, as one professor redirected me to other colleagues of his and my other prospective mentors appear to be leaving in 2017.
Thanks a lot in advance!

Is there anyone applying for Kyoto University? I have not get any reply from the professor. Are they on holiday?
Its the holiday season now! keeping mailing and if possible try calling the university department people! they will contact the professors and tell them to get in touch with you!

1) Do you all have to send your documents by post? Most of my universities mentioned that I need to send them the Embassy set of documents by email, no one (except Kobe university) has mentioned any sending by post/air mail. I haven't applied for a university in Tokyo, though, so this might be the reason.
Depends on the university. :) some ask for it, others don't! but be prepared if they suddenly demand the documents to be mailed. Just confirm if they really don't want the documents mailed!
2) What happens if we obtain a Letter of Admission from a university that hasn't been listed on our Preference form? I have 3 universities, but am writing to 2 more in order to secure at least one LoA (hopefully). Things are a bit rough, as one professor redirected me to other colleagues of his and my other prospective mentors appear to be leaving in 2017.
I don't think we are allowed to submit LOA's from the universities which are not listed in our preference form. Try asking the embassy people. regarding the professors it is ultimately your decision. if the professor has directed you to his college, maybe your research areas match and it might be a good idea to contact that professor. :)

I am debating whether or not to pursue Keio and Waseda as second or third choices. I have a national university with a very vocal and involved supervisor lined up there - if my second and third were private unis of Keio/Waseda level, I seriously doubt they would do me any good beyond simply filling up the two lines on my placement form.

Thoughts?
Hello, I am not Kamuizero but I had been through similar struggle, although my second and third choices were national universities. After careful consideration and much thought, I decided to request an LoA from Todai only, because I am determined to go to university in Tokyo. I know such decision will drastically lower my chance of securing the scholarship, but I can foresee that studying in some city other than Tokyo is not what I really want.

So, it boils down to the question of what do you really want.
Ask yourself a few questions like:
1. Are those the best three universities that I can find to provide guidance on my research topic?
2. Am I willing to replace the private universities to the other national/public universities?
etc.
If the preferred universities still remain the same after your consideration, I see no harm in filling out your placement preference form with those choices. At least that is better than leaving the second and third choices blank.
I hope this helps!

Found out today I passed the primary screening! Time to send those documents.

Congratulations!

Thoughts?

Hi hojoojoh, my first choice is Keio University, from which I received my LoA yesterday :D.

My second choice is Nagoya University, I've been in contact with the admissions office as well as my prospective supervisor, as they told me that I should send all documents to the professor directly and he would have to contact the admissions office... So, I hope he has some time available to prepare the LoA for me hehe xD.

Third choice is Waseda... Lastest update, it seems that my supervisor will be retiring next year, so I think I should start looking for another supervisor just in case...

I think it would be extremely difficult to be assigned to a private university as a second/third choice if your first choices are national universities.

At least that is better than leaving the second and third choices blank.

Totally agree with you, it is better to be on the safe side and fill those three choices, as well as securing those LoAs if possible.

Hi hojoojoh, my first choice is Keio University, from which I received my LoA yesterday :D.

My second choice is Nagoya University, I've been in contact with the admissions office as well as my prospective supervisor, as they told me that I should send all documents to the professor directly and he would have to contact the admissions office... So, I hope he has some time available to prepare the LoA for me hehe xD.

Third choice is Waseda... Lastest update, it seems that my supervisor will be retiring next year, so I think I should start looking for another supervisor just in case...

I think it would be extremely difficult to be assigned to a private university as a second/third choice if your first choices are national universities.

Totally agree with you, it is better to be on the safe side and fill those three choices, as well as securing those LoAs if possible.
My first choice is really the national uni - Keio and Waseda are really second and third choices.

In fact, my LOA from my first choice national uni arrived via post today!

I just want to be triple-safe, you know?

Regarding the above poster's question about getting more LOAs: getting as many as possible before submitting to your embassy is a good idea I think. That way, you/they can ammend you preference form - replacing the schools from which no letters were received with the ones that ended up sending them, no?

Sounds like most of us are in pretty good shape!

Ajeng,
Did you contact the faculty administration of the respective Graduate Schools? I wrote to my desired GS (of Management) and I received an answer ~6 hours after I sent out the email.
Guys and girls, I have two questions and it would be great if someone could shed some insight on them:

Thanks a lot in advance!

I contact the professor to reconfirm if he is still interested to supervise me and this email was c.c to his assoc prof, assist prof and his staff. I shall follow up again tomorrow if there is still no answer by the end of today.

1) I think it depends on the university. For example the professor in Tohoku University requested that I send everything by email and keep the hard copy with me. While the professor in Tsukuba University requested I post it to him.

2) The embassy in Malaysia said that we can update the Preference form and submitted the updated form.

Hello, I am not Kamuizero but I had been through similar struggle, although my second and third choices were national universities. After careful consideration and much thought, I decided to request an LoA from Todai only, because I am determined to go to university in Tokyo. I know such decision will drastically lower my chance of securing the scholarship, but I can foresee that studying in some city other than Tokyo is not what I really want.

So, it boils down to the question of what do you really want.
Ask yourself a few questions like:
1. Are those the best three universities that I can find to provide guidance on my research topic?
2. Am I willing to replace the private universities to the other national/public universities?
etc.
If the preferred universities still remain the same after your consideration, I see no harm in filling out your placement preference form with those choices. At least that is better than leaving the second and third choices blank.
I hope this helps!

Congratulations!

Why not try other universities in Tokyo besides Todai since your priority is studying in Tokyo?

Back
Top Bottom