What's new

Mext Scholarship (for master's degree, study plan, and other questions)

Hime sama

後輩
20 Apr 2012
Hiii everyone i wanted to create this thread to ask few things since i'm planning on applying for the next scholarship (since my country is sh*t and i know asking them would be just a waste of time) and let people who have the same questions have their answers. maybe some find these question are stupid or something to you but it's really important to me so i really will love you forever if you help me out
  • So maybe you'll find this stupid but for me i'm lost "How to make a detailed and concrete study plan" (as they indicated for the attached file) in my country i've never written such a thing (i mean none in my country have ever wrote such a thing i had to look in internet to actually know what it is) so i'm asking people who applied or even the ones who already wrote a study plan to help in this, please!!!! T_T
  • the 2nd thing is my japanese isn't good at all (i'm improving ok!!!)so i really want to study japanese there (as they suggested for 6 months)but i want to ask is this 6 months will be counted in the 2 years of the master's degree or it'll be counted separably (which means the scholarship will be paid 6 months + 2 years of master's degree)? will it be in the same time i study for my major field or not?
  • the 3rd thing is will working part time will be allowed? i'm sure the allowance will keep us alive but well you want to do other things and you need money
  • when will you gonna take the admission exams for university i mean after 1st screening or after the scholarship is sure in your hands? how is the interview in the process of choosing?
  • how did you find the right prof for recommendation? and how did you convince him? (sounds stupid BUT our profs are like pure evil T_T wanting to see students suffer and on top of it they suck at teaching and they don't want you to be better than them in knowledge terms, i'm sure you have those kinda of profs right)
  • well in y country i will have my master's degree (i could've have it last year if not for debt credit sh*t i have *sigh* (kids don't be lazy even if your university is sh*t)) but i still want to apply for master's degree will they ask me about this? (because seriously i don't want to reply "well i learnt nothing from my university that's why i want to study in japan" this would be off putting).
  • for those who got the scholarship emmm do you seriously need 2000$ when you 1st arrive there? (if so i'll be doomed and i may seriously give up because i don't have 2000$ and I EVEN SERIOUSLY DON'T KNOW WHERE TO GET IT FROM) also is it easy for Muslims to live in japan (i mean life style and all)
  • last thing i guess, HOW TO HAVE A SUCCESSFUL APPLICATIONS T________T
LONG STORY SHORT please help me on this because as i read the guide many times as i become more confused hahaha SO PLEAAAAAAAAAAAASE help meeeeeeh
PS:if you can't answer than you let me know MEXT email because i can't find it for some reasons maybe i'll ask them directly for clarification on some of these questions
IN THE END THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE EVEN IF YOU JUST READ IT AND DIDN'T ANSWER.
HAVE A BLESSING DAY ~~~

hi!
you are preparing for applying for the MEXT scholarship! i used to have a hard time when i have no idea about MEXT scholarship like you. i'm studying in Japan as a MEXT scholarship student now, and will be a regular master's course student from next year. i'm not sure that my advice would be helpful for you. And my English Ability is not good actually!!(sorry for this XD)
anyway....
1. you mainly seem to be worried about writting research plan for application. i recommend to read lots of research papers or books about the field you are interested in including the papers published by researchers not only from your own country but also from Japan. Then you can find the ideas about your own research and the resean why your research should be carried out in Japan. And refering to this page might be helpful when you write your research plan.
Articles
2. in my home country, there is a Japanese language paper exam for all applicants of MEXT scholarship, so we need to be quite fluent to speak in Japanese in order to pass the paper exam. but i think you don't need to worry about your Japanese ablity if you are not from east Asian countries. i know many Mext Students who can't speak in Japanese at all, although the most of the Mext students who can't speak in Japanese are from Western countries or Africa..... SO.. that's why Mext students are here as a research student(kind of extramural student) first time, and they get a chance to study Japanese language and prepare for the entrance exam of the university you want to enter for maximum 2 years. the scholarship is provided for maximum 7years. (research student 2 years + Master's course 2 years + Doctor's course 3 years) But you don't need to wait for being regular master's course student for 2 years. if it's possible, you can be a regular student after 6 months or 1 year passed. it's up to your effort and ability!! XD
3. part time working is possible as a MEXT student with your supervisor's and University's permission. but basically we don't have a work permit. so you need to talk with your supervisor if you want to work.
4. you need to pass the admission exam for university during your research student period(2 years). the admission policies for international students vary according to each university, so u need to check the policy of the university you want to enter.
5. in my case, i found several Japanese researchers from the research papers i was really interested in. so i picked up several professors i want to be supervised by, and contacted him by E-mail that i want to study under his guidance.
6. hmm i think it's okay if your life plan and research plan can show the logical cause for applying for master's degree. :D
7. it is necessary to bring around $2000 as you wrote. because the first scholarship is provided when 3-4 weeks passed after you get to Japan. so you need to prepare that amount of money for the rent and living expenses. :(
i'm sorry that i don't know it's easy to settle in Japan as Muslim student, because i'm not a Muslim.... :( but there are lots of muslim students from Indonesia, Malaysia and few from Middle east and Africa in my university. and also there are some halal menu in cafeteria and i heard that there is a praying room for muslim students. ;)

this is the advice all i can give you. i hope that they would be helpful for you and you can study in Japan as a MEXT scholarship student someday! :D

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your reply it helped me for a few things and you are right i'm really worried about the research plan because i think it's critical for this application (or any) and i really want to get this scholarship i have 4 months to write it so thank you for the link i'll read it carefully :)

Hi Hime Sama,

I obtained MEXT scholarship and will be studying in Japan from April 2015. As you pinpointed right, research plan is the biggest issue and the key to convince a comittee to choose you for the scholarship among all applicants.From my experience, more detailed you think through whole this thing, higher the chance is...and easier interview for you - they ask about your research plan ( and those 3 questions).
I recommend you to read following thread on the forum, mostly its begining where you can found usefull links such as one from another scholarship grantee who wrote a guide how to get scholarship - MEXT Scholarship 2015 (Research students).

2) dont worry about japanese exam, I gave them empty paper since I cant speak Japanese ( I am from Europe).Therefore, I will be taking that 6 month language course (also included in the plan)
4) I will be research student from April 2015 and I will take entrance exam for PhD in June so I could start as PhD student in October 2015. Interview bothers me too, but my professor told me not to worry about it, I just need to make TOEFL ( thats for PhD, dont know about Master).
5) finding professor is also the biggest issue. Generally, it is not necessary to already have one during application process, but I managed to have one which also helped me to get the scholarship. Again, more you prepare ( in comparison with other applicants), higher the chance is. I recommend you following page https://www.g-studyinjapan.jasso.go.jp/univ_search/
- search universities and search for researcher´s list
- read their articles and studies
- write them email with your purpose and brief explanation of your plan to study
7) yeah, that amount of 2000 USD is ridiculously high, especially for me even though I work. I come from country with low salaries, but yes, I will try to bring that amount of money for each case. Some people got first money after few days, some not.I contacted some Slovaks w)ho got the scholarship and one of them got money in cash just after his arrival ( but that was like 10 years ago).

Hi Hime Sama,

I obtained MEXT scholarship and will be studying in Japan from April 2015. As you pinpointed right, research plan is the biggest issue and the key to convince a comittee to choose you for the scholarship among all applicants.From my experience, more detailed you think through whole this thing, higher the chance is...and easier interview for you - they ask about your research plan ( and those 3 questions).
I recommend you to read following thread on the forum, mostly its begining where you can found usefull links such as one from another scholarship grantee who wrote a guide how to get scholarship - MEXT Scholarship 2015 (Research students).

2) dont worry about japanese exam, I gave them empty paper since I cant speak Japanese ( I am from Europe).Therefore, I will be taking that 6 month language course (also included in the plan)
4) I will be research student from April 2015 and I will take entrance exam for PhD in June so I could start as PhD student in October 2015. Interview bothers me too, but my professor told me not to worry about it, I just need to make TOEFL ( thats for PhD, dont know about Master).
5) finding professor is also the biggest issue. Generally, it is not necessary to already have one during application process, but I managed to have one which also helped me to get the scholarship. Again, more you prepare ( in comparison with other applicants), higher the chance is. I recommend you following page https://www.g-studyinjapan.jasso.go.jp/univ_search/
- write them email with your purpose and brief explanation of your plan to study
7) yeah, that amount of 2000 USD is ridiculously high, especially for me even though I work. I come from country with low salaries, but yes, I will try to bring that amount of money for each case. Some people got first money after few days, some not.I contacted some Slovaks w)ho got the scholarship and one of them got money in cash just after his arrival ( but that was like 10 years ago).

hiiii thank u for ur reply the thing is i don't know what to write in the research plan i seriously have no clue, i wanted to contact many advisers to ask them about it but i'm sure they would want it all prepared. and i'm sure since i'm from north africa it would be harder to get one T_T.
omg i know this must be sudden but can we stay in contact just how it went for u or how did u write research plan, i know i want Computer Networks but i don't know how to make it detailed (like what to study each week or month or something) but it's ok if u don't want to lol
and thank u again for the reply have a good day.

hiiii thank u for ur reply the thing is i don't know what to write in the research plan i seriously have no clue, i wanted to contact many advisers to ask them about it but i'm sure they would want it all prepared. and i'm sure since i'm from north africa it would be harder to get one T_T.
omg i know this must be sudden but can we stay in contact just how it went for u or how did u write research plan, i know i want Computer Networks but i don't know how to make it detailed (like what to study each week or month or something) but it's ok if u don't want to lol
and thank u again for the reply have a good day.

Sure, if anything, write my private message

Hi Hime Sama,

5) finding professor is also the biggest issue. Generally, it is not necessary to already have one during application process, but I managed to have one which also helped me to get the scholarship. Again, more you prepare ( in comparison with other applicants), higher the chance is. I recommend you following page University Search - University

Hi Hime Sama,

5) finding professor is also the biggest issue. Generally, it is not necessary to already have one during application process, but I managed to have one which also helped me to get the scholarship. Again, more you prepare ( in comparison with other applicants), higher the chance is. I recommend you following page University Search - University

hi bccapower.
I am from Bangladesh. Last week I have applied for MEXT as Master's student through university recommendation at UTokyo. I am passed preliminary screening though there are two more selection. I dont know what will happen. My CGPA is 3.426 out of 4 ( 2.60 out of 3 )scale. I have no paper and TOFEL or IELTS score but have foreign laguage proficiency justyfied my university Bangladesh Agricultural University.

I sent a research plan to the professor but he rejected it and he wrote a high qualified research plan for me and sent to me for grammatical correction. I corrected some sentence nd sent it to him.

Can you tell me, the % of possibility to get the scholarship??????

hi bccapower.
I am from Bangladesh. Last week I have applied for MEXT as Master's student through university recommendation at UTokyo. I am passed preliminary screening though there are two more selection. I dont know what will happen. My CGPA is 3.426 out of 4 ( 2.60 out of 3 )scale. I have no paper and TOFEL or IELTS score but have foreign laguage proficiency justyfied my university Bangladesh Agricultural University.

I sent a research plan to the professor but he rejected it and he wrote a high qualified research plan for me and sent to me for grammatical correction. I corrected some sentence nd sent it to him.

Can you tell me, the % of possibility to get the scholarship??????

Hi RAFA, I am sorrz, but I cant say the odds you will get the scholarship since I am not an examiner.
Use your professor´s research plan as a base.He sent it to you and that must mean he wants you so stick to it and build everything on it, thats all I could recommend you.

Now it depends on other factors like how many other applicants there are and what kind of plans they have.

Hi RAFA, I am sorrz, but I cant say the odds you will get the scholarship since I am not an examiner.
Use your professor´s research plan as a base.He sent it to you and that must mean he wants you so stick to it and build everything on it, thats all I could recommend you.

Now it depends on other factors like how many other applicants there are and what kind of plans they have.

Thank you for your reply..

Hi
I am from India. I am planning for my research study (PhD) for April 2016. I have a query. Is Japanese language really necessary to take the MEXT Scholarship examination? Can I skip the test and what happens if I don't take the japanese test?
Thanks

Hi
I am from India. I am planning for my research study (PhD) for April 2016. I have a query. Is Japanese language really necessary to take the MEXT Scholarship examination? Can I skip the test and what happens if I don't take the japanese test?
Thanks

Hi! Ram

As long as I think, Japanese ability is not that important for MEXT scholarship applicants except for South Korean students.

It was important for me since many people can speak in Japanese in Korea. (I am South Korean.) so I need to my appeal myself with Japanese ability to get the scholarship.

As a matter of fact, I'm not sure about Indian students, because I know two MEXT indian friends in my Uni who are very fluent in Japanese.

But, Around me, most of MEXT scholarship students don't have any Japanese ability at all first time when they got to Japan except a few students. (they are from all over the world.)

So.. I think you don't need to worry that much about Japanese ability.

For detail, I think you need to ask for detail information to Japanese embassy in India or somewhere like this, because each embassy might have different policies by countries.

I wish you a luck, mate. ^^

Last edited:
I have the same questions... but i have more:

1- how do they pay you? I mean... If I just arrive to Japan now, how they contact me and pay me?

2- About accommodation... is it my responsibility or just the university's students' office one?

Hi All ,
I am selected for MEXT at UTokyo. I will be enrolled in this october. My professor congratulate me a few days ago via email. Can anyone tell me how many days need to get the letter of acceptance? can anyone informe me plz??

Hi everyone,
I have been nominated through embassy recommendation for MEXT Scholarship and obtained acceptance letter from Tohoku University.

I have query about job prospects after graduation.I am going for Masters in biomedical engineering.

Hi everyone, I have just passed the primary screening of MEXT research student 2016. Igot two LoAs from Tohoku University and Gifu University. Hope I can get through the secondary screening!

Hi everyone,
I have been nominated through embassy recommendation for MEXT Scholarship and obtained acceptance letter from Tohoku University.

I have query about job prospects after graduation.I am going for Masters in biomedical engineering.
hello i just found this forum and i hope this is still active
i am currently applying to the Mext scholarship through embassy recommendation
i just wanna ask you about your research plan and how you did it and what are the hardships that you faced

Back
Top Bottom