1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Mojibake 文字化け

Dear valued Members, due to the recent forum conversion a lot of threads in the 日本語 section still display garbled Japanese characters. We are aware of the situation and work hard on resolving this issue. As all the corrections have to be done manually, this will take some time. We thank you for your patience and understanding!

Need a word or phrase translated?

Discussion in 'Translations' started by Buntaro, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Buntaro

Buntaro 窶ー^窶慊ョ窶「s窶伉ォ
    先輩

Dec 27, 2003
    Need a word or phrase translated? Feel free to ask.

Many bilingual people on this forum would be more than happy to help beginners with questions about Japanese vocabulary. Even grammar questions.

What word or phrase would anyone like translated into Japanese or English?

2. Elizabeth

Elizabeth 先輩
    先輩

Apr 22, 2003
    OK--I have a couple to start on:

ニ誰ニ椎?ニ湛ニ筑ニ湛窶堙家辰ニ椎?ニ知ニ辰窶堙嫁陳セ窶堙≫?堋ス窶堙??堋ォ窶堙債「窶愿コ窶怒ナ津ェ窶堙戸彑窶板敖」窶堙??堋「窶堋、窶「\窶佚ィ窶堙ー窶堙や?堋ッ窶堙ァ窶堙ェ窶堙??堋「窶堙ゥ窶怒窶堙ー窶敞停?堙≫?堙??ケA窶堙ィ窶堙懌?堋オ窶堋スツ。窶堋ソ窶堙・窶堙≫?堙??愿ッ窶堋オ窶堋サ窶堋、窶堙??堋キ窶堙仰。窶堙??堙?窶佚・窶佚娯?堙固陳セ窶杯窶堋ェ窶堙ュ窶堋ゥ窶堙≫?堋ス窶堙娯?堙?、窶「ツカ窶邸窶堙?窶板昶?ーテー窶堋オ窶堋ス窶堋「窶堙?スv窶堋「窶堙懌?堋キツ。

ツ青シ窶ーツ「窶堙娯?「ツカ窶ーツサ窶堙?静堋触窶堋オ窶堙??遺?藩??堋ク窶堙≫?堙??愿コ窶怒窶堙娯?冦ナスツッツ人窶堙俄?堙才彑窶板敞坦ニ停?愴致ニ椎槌鍛ニ誰ニ湛窶堙??堙?窶堋「窶堋、窶堙冷?堋ォ窶堙?窶堙娯?堋ェ窶堙や?堋ォ窶堙懌?堙??堙≫?堙??堋「窶堙ゥツ。ツ (Since the first contact with W. European culture, Japanese intellectuals have felt obsessed (?) by the idea of a logic complex?)窶堙俄?ケテ溪?堋「窶堙??堋オ窶堙・窶堋、窶堋ゥ窶堙仰?
    窶愿コ窶怒ツ人窶堙坂?堙??堙?窶堋キ窶堙ェ窶堙射彑窶板昶?堙ー窶慊・窶堙敘?O窶堙ェ窶堋オ窶堙「窶堋キ窶堋「窶堙ァ窶堋オ窶堋「窶堋ゥ窶堙ァ窶堋ス窶堋ヲ窶堋ク窶卍才?凪?堙ー窶佚凪?堙≫?堙??堙坂?堙遺?堙ァ窶堙遺?堋「ツ。(Since Japanese people tend to lose their logical footing quite easily/naturally, care must be taken never to neglect such things.)
    窶堙ュ窶堙ェ窶堙ュ窶堙ェ窶堙坂?堙??堙ェ窶堙吮?堙?彑窶板昶?廬窶堙??堋?窶堙ォ窶堋、窶堙??堋オ窶堙??堙?ナ塚??堋オ窶堙?彑窶板昶?廬窶堙??堋?窶堙ィ窶堋キ窶堋ャ窶堙ゥナス窶凪?堙坂?堙遺?堋「ツ。ツ(ツ?ツ?ツ?ツ) (However much we try to be logical, it can never be too much?).

1 person likes this.
  3. Buntaro

Buntaro 窶ー^窶慊ョ窶「s窶伉ォ
    先輩

Dec 27, 2003
    Hi Elizabeth!

Wow, that is more than one word or phrase! Also, I am on the road right now. When I get home tomorrow, I will pull out my Kan Ei Jiten and see if I figure out those kanji!

-Buntaro

1 person likes this.
  4. Elizabeth

Elizabeth 先輩
    先輩

Apr 22, 2003
    I know, don't feel badly, though, Buntaro, it doesn't have to be only for you... :) I had already tried them out on a couple other people whose English wasn't enough to pull them through and simply figured someone here may be able to fill in the parts I've missed.

1 person likes this.
  5. M10

M10 New Member

Jan 1, 2004
    how can I say "so.. if I anwser some wrong words dont be surprised."
    and "can you speak English ?" in Japanese? thanks ^^

1 person likes this.
  6. Elizabeth

Elizabeth 先輩
    先輩

Apr 22, 2003
    "Saa, machigai ga areba (well, if there are mistakes), odorokanaide/ bikkuri shinaide/ kudasai (don't be suprised).

"Eigo wo hanashimasuka?" ツ ツ 

1 person likes this.
  7. Glenn

Glenn 一切皆苦
    Donor

Jan 8, 2004
    ツ好ナ?テッツ心窶堙娯?ケツュ窶堋「窶堙娯?堙??ケA窶堙≫?堋ス窶堙娯?堙坂?堙??堋ア窶堙??堋キ窶堋ゥツ。ツ債キ窶堋オツ出窶堋ェ窶堙懌?堋オ窶堋「窶堋ア窶堙??堙ーナ陳セ窶堙≫?堋ス窶堙ァ窶堋キ窶堙昶?堙懌?堋ケ窶堙アツ。

I think that you are very close. "Since having made contact with Western cultures, Japanese intellectuals have been haunted by a 'logic complex.'" How does that sound?

I would say that you have got this one too. Here is my attempt: "Because Japanese people seem to be apt to fall behind in logic, they must constantly take care not to neglect it." This one was somewhat difficult owing to the hazy referent. I am guessing that the main clause is referring to "logic complex," but I am unsure about that.

I think you have understood this one correctly as well. Maybe, "no matter how hard we try to be logical, we can never be too logical."

You seem to be right on with your translations; I just decided to try my hand at them.

1 person likes this.
  8. Elizabeth

Elizabeth 先輩
    先輩

Apr 22, 2003
    ニ辰ニ停?愴断ニ達ニ但ニ段窶堙娯?徒窶堙娯?堙吮?堋、窶堙可住窶堙ア窶堙??堋「窶堙懌?堋キツ。

窶堋ア窶堙ア窶堙俄?堋ソ窶堙ュツ、Glenn窶堋ウ窶堙アツ!窶禿ウ窶堋オ窶堙??堋ュ窶堙ェ窶堙??堋?窶堙ィ窶堋ェ窶堙??堋、窶堋イ窶堋エ窶堋「窶堙懌?堋オ窶堋スツ。

ツ催?津」窶堙娯?「ツェ窶堙娯?ーp窶禿ウ窶堙坂?堋ソ窶堙・窶堙≫?堙??堋?窶堋「窶堙懌?堋「窶堙遺?堙娯?堙??ケC窶堙俄?堙遺?堙≫?堙??堋「窶堙ゥ窶堋ッ窶堙?。窶堋ィ窶堋サ窶堙ァ窶堋ュツ青ウナ?m窶堙俄?禿ウ窶堋キ窶堙娯?堙坂?堙吮?堙??堙ア窶堙??「s窶ーテや?拿窶堙??堋キ窶堙仰。

1 person likes this.
  9. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank SECURITY-you SPAM/we BAN
    Staff Member Admin

May 21, 2003
    Great test !!!!

I ran these phrases through my new Japanese translating program. It came out looking like something the "Mad Hatter" from "Alice In Wonderland" would say. I'd heard these programs didn't work that great and now I know it's true !!

Frank

:D

1 person likes this.
  10. Elizabeth

Elizabeth 先輩
    先輩

Apr 22, 2003
    The syntax and wording aren't really natural for any of them so it's not too surprising, Frank. There's one mistake I noticed in my part -- should be "daitai no kotoba wa" instead of "ga" but as long as you have the time why not try that through your translator as well? It will no doubt come out clearer. :p

1 person likes this.
  11. Elizabeth

Elizabeth 先輩
    先輩

Apr 22, 2003
    And now that I think about it this is more along the lines "however logical we are, it is never enough." Nihonjin ni totte mo rikaishinikui hon kamoshiremasen ne.

12. M10

M10 New Member

Jan 1, 2004
    domo arigatou Elizabeth :bow:

1 person likes this.
  13. Glenn

Glenn 一切皆苦
    Donor

Jan 8, 2004
    I think that you are right. That seems to make more sense, and flows better too. I guess the 窶堙??堋オ窶堙??堙? was the part that really threw us in that one (does it mean supposing, or trying to do?). :)

1 person likes this.
  14. Kuro_Tsubasa69

Dec 10, 2003
    Hey, would 'I am number one' be translated as 'Boku wa Ichiban desu'?

1 person likes this.
  15. Elizabeth

Elizabeth 先輩
    先輩

Apr 22, 2003
    As far as I'm aware anyway the literal rendering of 窶堋?窶堙ォ窶堋、窶堙??堋オ窶堙 is trying without success, which would of course break the meaning down to the point of absurdity here. Perhaps the phrase is intended more as a literary device or somehow idiomatically. At any rate I'm pretty sure he's referring to Japanese perceptions of themselves as "however logical" (we make think we are being) in the everyday sense, not within the context of systematic logic as it is usually thought of in the west. Which may flow better but still gives my translation a slightly odd ring, how can you be both logical to the fullest extent possible and it still isn't enough ?

1 person likes this.
  16. Elizabeth

Elizabeth 先輩
    先輩

Apr 22, 2003
    Yes, I guess our first instincts were closer all along. It does apparently only refer to trying without success when used with "ga" -- Denwa wo shiou to shimashita ga.....(I tried calling but couldn't get through).

1 person likes this.
  17. Buntaro

Buntaro 窶ー^窶慊ョ窶「s窶伉ォ
    先輩

Dec 27, 2003
    Hey Elizabeth (or anyone else)

How do you say "Check out that cute looking girl." in Japanese?

1 person likes this.
  18. Elizabeth

Elizabeth 先輩
    先輩

Apr 22, 2003
    窶堋サ窶堙娯?堋ゥ窶堙ュ窶堋「窶堋「ツ鞘?披?堙固スq窶堙ーナ陳ゥ窶堙?陳ゥ窶堙ォツ(窶堙ヲツ) (?) I've seen it around, but we should probably call in the experts for this one. To check out in the sense of go find some girls I think you can use 窶「ツィツ色 (look for, select) and if all else fails there's always the old standby ツ鞘?披?堙固スq窶堙ーニ蛋ニ巽ニ鍛ニ誰窶堋キ窶堙ゥ. :p

1 person likes this.
  19. Golgo_13

Golgo_13 先輩
    先輩

Nov 27, 2003
    Instead of "sono", I would say "ano" -- implying greater distance than "sono"

Sensei G-13
    :bow:

1 person likes this.
  20. Buntaro

Buntaro 窶ー^窶慊ョ窶「s窶伉ォ
    先輩

Dec 27, 2003
    Elizabeth Sensei! Golgo Sensei!

Thanks for the help with "check her out."

How about "check it out," as in "Let's go check out that cool-looking restaurant"?

Yoroshiku onegai itashima~~~su!

-Buntaro

1 person likes this.
  21. Buntaro

Buntaro 窶ー^窶慊ョ窶「s窶伉ォ
    先輩

Dec 27, 2003
    Hi Kuro_Tsubasa69!

Yes, your translation of 'I am number one' is correct at 'Boku wa Ichiban desu', although you need to be aware that there are words more plote than "Boku". Some people would be offended by that word.

ALso, you could expand your sentence. Number one at what?

-BUntaro

1 person likes this.
  22. Elizabeth

Elizabeth 先輩
    先輩

Apr 22, 2003
    I suppose the verbs would be 窶堋「窶堙≫?堙??堙昶?堙ヲ窶堋、窶堙ヲ for let's check out or just 窶堋「窶堙≫?堙??堙昶?堙ォツ(窶堙ヲツ)again for check out. But how then to say cool-looking restaurant ???

1 person likes this.
  23. Kuro_Tsubasa69

Dec 10, 2003
    @ Buntaru: Number one at everything! *niko niko* ;) But, I realize 'Boku' isn't all to polite....I just got into a really bad habit of using that first subject pronoun. ^_^;;;; To be more polite, it should be watashi, correct? (And thanks for verifying that my sentence was correct! :bow:.)

1 person likes this.
  24. Buntaro

Buntaro 窶ー^窶慊ョ窶「s窶伉ォ
    先輩

Dec 27, 2003
    "Number one at everything"? Let's see... I would just say, "I can do anything!"

"Watashi wa, nan demo dekimasu yo!"

Yes, Watashi is more polite. And, if you want to be really, really, really polite, you could say Watakushi. (Accent the second syllable.) But that is really too polite....

2 people like this.
  25. Buntaro

Buntaro 窶ー^窶慊ョ窶「s窶伉ォ
    先輩

Dec 27, 2003
    "cool-looking restaurant"?

kakkui resutoran?

shibui restoran?

suteki na restoran?

o share no restoran?

1 person likes this.