What's new

On an Exchange Program for 6 months, tips?

Athina Leung

Registered
31 Aug 2014
So I'll be staying in Japan for an exchange program at Sophia University's Faculty of Liberal Arts for the Fall semester.
I have most of my things ready, including accomodations and tickets, but haven't figured out the finer points of living over there. Some of the questions I have been looking the answers for are:
1. How does prepaid mobile phones work for foreign exchange students? I've read up that I'd need my student ID first before I can get one. In general, I'm confused as to how contracts/prepaid phones/cell provider work as we don't have that system for cellphones in my home country. Like where to buy, what to buy, what I need for a mobile phone contract/prepaid mobile phone. The only thing I understand as of now is that I'd need to get a new mobile phone and can't use the one I have right now.
2. Money/bank accounts. Do I set up a temporary bank account there? Or just deposit money in my home country and use the ATM machines? (I have parents' monetary support for the basic things such as dorm rent). I am planning to get a part time job there though. How should my family send me the money? I've had someone suggest to use PayPal as there is no charge between transfers and I can immediately convert it to yen when withdrawing cash in Japan, though I'm not sure how that works.
I'll probably have more questions later but for now those are the two that I hope someone can help me answer.
Thanks for any replies and pointers you can give! 😌

Those are two questions absolutely perfect for Sophia U to explain. I imagine you're not the first.

Hmm yes I suppose so but I imagine this is something that every foreign exchange student/people who stay for some period of time go through so I'm still hoping for input.

Back
Top Bottom