What's new

Please help me identifying the ingredients for this cucumber 'sashimi'

RonK

後輩
9 Mar 2015
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I am hoping someone might be able to help me identify the ingredients for this super delicious cucumber 'sashimi/sushi' of sorts. I'll give you a little back story.

I was fortunate enough to be able to travel to Japan to work for two and a half months last year. I had a wonderful time. While there (In Yokosuka) I stayed at a place named Hotel Yokosuka. It was a charming little hotel built in the 1970's I believe. Near by was a restaurant that I was so happy to have found. It reminded me of a sushi place I would find back home. I visited this place several times before my trip was over. It was here that I met some very nice locals who made me feel very welcome in their country.
One night that I had stopped in to have a meal. I asked the young man (he later told me he was 32) who I think might have been the owner, to bring me some foods that the locals in Yokosuka would order, and he was happy to abilge. One of the first things he brought me was this cucumber sliced thin almost like sushi. It had some sort of brown sauce, toasted sesame seeds, and some sort of red seasoning sprinkled on top( I can't recall if the seasoning was spicy or not, I don't believe it was).
Long and short, I am hoping that someone might know what the ingredients were used to make this delicious dish.

Here is a photo of the outside of the restaurant. If anyone could clue me in on the name that would be cool too.

image hosting over 10mb

Here are a few of the other things he brought out for me.

This is sake and cod fish seminal sacks. Didn't know if I was going to offend him if I didn't like it, especially since I asked him to bring me food that the locals would order.( he told me that it is Japanese delicacy and only available in the winter time). It was good almost buttery In flavor.

image upload no resize

upload img

Delicious tuna.

image hosting free

Assortment of fried goodies.
If I can remember right it's fried slices of ham, fried fish, fried oysters, and some creamy mayonnaise shrimp.

photo upload

And last but not least a picture of me with the 'owner' the night before flying home. Although a little blurry.

images upload

If you post coordinates or a dropped Google map pin I can try to go over and ask for the recipe if you want.

It'll probably be well outside of my abilities to translate, but I can post it and perhaps other members will be willing to help you with that.

If you post coordinates or a dropped Google map pin I can try to go over and ask for the recipe if you want.

It'll probably be well outside of my abilities to translate, but I can post it and perhaps other members will be willing to help you with that.

I think this is it:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425860005.867825.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425860020.069923.jpg

Oh great. Thank you mike. Would you be able to tell me what the English translation for the restaurant would be? Or how you would spell it in english(aribic font)?

Oh great. Thank you mike. Would you be able to tell me what the English translation for the restaurant would be? Or how you would spell it in english(aribic font)?

Yoizzanmai

Seems to be a chain.

Back
Top Bottom