What's new

Please help translating

Ames

Registered
3 Dec 2016
Hi i was given this cloth print years ago by my Sensei. I do not know what it means. I have tried with some local japanese but with no luck. They said its old style and ro hard to be precise.
Would anyone please be able to help?

Hi i was given this cloth print years ago by my Sensei. I do not know what it means. I have tried with some local japanese but with no luck. They said its old style and ro hard to be precise.
Would anyone please be able to help?

It would be much easier if we could see it. There is no image.

Are you asking Japanese people who grew up and were educated in Japan? Or are you asking Aussies who happen to be of Japanese descent?

Oops my bad.

Attachments

• 1480759394164-951846183.jpg
    1480759394164-951846183.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 147
Okay.... you answered my question. Those are Aussies of Japanese descent. The ability to read Japanese isn't encoded in the DNA; they actually have to put forth effort to learn it. There is NOTHING old-fashioned or hard to read about that. They are BSing you.

Coming up with a clear English translation is eluding me, though.

Here is an explanation from the person who wrote it:

総合武術研究会 斬心塾
『斬心塾とは、体術を基本として、理(ことわり)にかなった技と
手の延長としての得物を用いることによって
最低限の我が身を守る術(すべ)を修得することをめざす場である。
武術を通じて日常に密着した精神を養い
体と精神を向上させるものとして、武術を活かすものである。
斬心明鏡』

Basically your standard martial arts body-soul and apply it to daily life hooey.

Last edited:
More precisely, the big text says "斬心明鏡" (zanshin meikyou), which is apparently the name of the DVD which the above video comes from.
The smaller text in the bottom left, 東郷秀信 (Hidenobu Tougou), is the name of the swordfight choreographer appearing in the video. Apparently he acted in the movie Red Shadow.

And indeed, there's nothing old-style or difficult about this. All the kanji here are still in very common use today.

Last edited:
And indeed, there's nothing old-style or difficult about this. All the kanji here are still in very common use today.

And written in a very clear and easy to recognize manner as well. If they couldn't read that, it's because they just never learned to read Japanese. Hell, three of the four large characters are taught in elementary school.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
I was going to frame it and hang it. But, i don't think i will know. I vaguely remembered being told it meant. To cut straight ( true). Look in the mirror and your reflection. But, my memory is not serving me well in old age.
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom