What's new

Questions about MEXT Undergraduate student/Special training student 2014/2015

bakaneko06

Registered
9 Jan 2014
Hi everyone ! I'm new here~~I come from Morocco and I was hoping to apply for the MEXT scholarship this year but there are many questions popping in my head about the procedure and everything so I'm gonna list these questions and I'd really appreiate if you could help me by answering them because I'm really confused about many things x_x
Oh first of all I graduated high school last year and now i'm a freshman in university in english department but the field I was hoping to apply for in Japan is "Fashion design" which was my dream since aalways ! :D
So here are my Questions :

1-Can I apply for Fashion design as an undergraduate student or does it have to be on the category of Special training student ?
(I found some universities that had Arts department but didn't specify if they had fashion design so i'm curious to know)
2-For the examination do I have to pass Mathematics ? (me and maths are like oil and water..Big no no T-T )
If yes are there any books that helps for that? I only studied maths in arabic and french not english ><
3-If the college i'm apllying for has english courses do I need TOEFL as a requirement?
4-if the college i'm apllying for has only japanese courses do I have to have like JLPT or EJU..etc?
5-Does the grades in my current year in university count as well or is it just high school grades ?

That's all I could remember so far ! Thank you in advance !
Oh one more thing if there is anyone here that is familiar with the MEXT scholarship procedure and is from Morocco as well Please contact me ! It'd be great if we could help each other ^o^ !

Sounds to me like most of you questions can be answered by the individual school that you are interested in.

Unnnn....but isn't it the MEXT that chose for us the school? that's what everyone told me ! at first I searched for schools but then they told me no you are not the one to chose so I was very confused ><

I do believe for undergrad MEXT chooses your school so there isn't really a universal answer to some of your questions.

Your best bet is to ask the embassy that is handling the selection.

I was approved as a Special Training Student (I intend to study Photography) this year and, even though I might not be the best person to answer you these questions as I don't even know what Uni I'll attend in the 1st year yet, I'll try to help you!

1. If you can find a University with a Fashion Design degree you CAN apply for a undergraduate scholarship, but keep in mind that in Japan art-related courses are more common in Special Training Colleges. e.g. Bunka Fashion Institute (3rd in the world in Fashion Colleges/Universities) is a Special Training College.

2. Well... I think it depends on which course you'll choose. I mean, if you were applying to an engeneering course I think you would need a great score on the test. The thing is... I applied for Photography and went HORRIBLE in the math test. I'm not exaggerating, I didn't score even half of the test. lol But be sure you know at least a little about the subjects, because if you get 0 points you are OUT.

3. I don't think so. But it seems like it's very difficult to find good courses in english, tbqh, I think it's better to learn Japanese and attend classes in Japanese.

4. It depends on the college/uni. If they have an English site, there's usually a "For International Students" page and all the information you'll need is there. It seems like 90% of the times you'll be required to do a Japanese written test but if you have JLPT N2 or a specific score on EJU (I don't remember it, sorry) you won't need to do it.

5. I'm not sure but I think they do.

Oh, just one thing: MEXT don't really choose your school. Some seniors told me that in the end of the 1st year you'll give MEXT a list of the colleges/universities you want to go to and MEXT will see if they accept you or not (based on your 1st year performance).

Don't forget about the Japanese consulate/embassy in your country! They usually have all the information about MEXT scholarships you'll need during the application process.

I hope I helped you somehow!

Thank you so much Toribikki-san I was really losing hope because there were too many confusing things in my head !!!
especially about maths lol i'm glad we don't have to score perfectly at it!!
I think I will go To ambassy for further and more detailed informations .
Anyhow thank you once again for taking the time to answer all of my questions,it really helped !! ^^

For the specialized training, can I choose to just remain with studying the Japanese language, to get a bachelor's degree in rather than a diploma? And one of the listed fields of study is "culture". Can anyone elaborate on this? If it's the study of Japanese culture then I like it. But would it also be a diploma?

I don't want to apply for the undergraduate scholarship, because it's too competitive, so i'm looking for alternatives in specialized raining, where I can actually go further with my technical studies to a university level and attain a university degree. My interests are in Political Science, International Relations, Japanese Language and Culture, even thought these aren't technical subjects. I guess I'm just looking for some advice, insight on what I should do. Should I just apply for the undergraduate scholarship. Just to try my luck?

Back
Top Bottom