What's new

Research Proposal

Fitanimal

後輩
20 Apr 2015
I know the research proposal is the most critical part of the application. But I'm not sure how I should fill out these 3 fields described in the form. I already have a 7 page proposal written. So I was thinking, would it be acceptable to fill out those 3 fields in brief response then include my research paper? My research is on exercise physiology so it wouldn't be in Layman's terms. Therefore I would think that the professors of the selected university would be the ones to actually read it.

1 Present field of study

2. Your research topic upon arrival in Japan: stipulate the research you wish to carry out in Japan

3 Study program in Japan: (Describe in detail and with specifics - particularly concerning the ultimate goals(s) of your research in Japan

Fitanimal,

Nice to see a fellow American weightlifter! :)

The research proposal is indeed important, but it does not need to be that detailed (in jargon) because only the embassy will review it. It is completely unrelated from whether the professor at a university wants to accept you -- you don't ask for provisional admission letters until after passing the embassy first screening (interview/exam).

My research plan was only four pages. I described my present study (master's degree, USA) in about 3/4 page, and presented my proposed study in about 2 pages (including two figures and references), and one page for an outline of my envisioned schedule/timeline to complete this study.

It's a little more important to focus on how you will discuss the proposal in the interview...I can 95% guarantee there won't be any technical questions, only asking why you need/want to conduct this research in Japan, and whether the project is feasible/valuable. I do highly suggest contacting professors right away, even though you don't need acceptance until later. It's nice to have names/details to discuss in the interview with the embassy.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the informative response. The only thing hard for me to write is an outline of schedule since I don't know which particular university I will be accepted nor which professor I will work with. Also would it be acceptable to attach my whole research proposal along with the form? I'll fill out the fields in brief response but my research proposal is what will say much specifics on what I want to investigate for the professor's interest. I can see now why this whole process has been a pain for most people.

Back
Top Bottom