What's new

Scholarships other than MEXT

vegeta

後輩
1 May 2015
I would really like to know about other scholarships to Japan rather than MEXT. I didn't pass first screening for 2016 MEXT scholarship, and that is why I'd like to know about other alternatives.

thanks.

Why not try university recommdation route?

Or the smaller JASSO grad student scholarships. There are also nation/region specific ones but I don't know too much about them as Canada is exempt from most.

I left university, I don't think I can. Plus, MEXT is over for this year.

What scholarships exactly? do you know any that could serve me? I am not familiar with any of them really.

I left university, I don't think I can. Plus, MEXT is over for this year.

What scholarships exactly? do you know any that could serve me? I am not familiar with any of them really.

Even you graduated, you are still eligible to apply for university recommendation scholarship.

OK, nice info there! tell me how?

Is is connected with the MEXT scholarship (at the embassy)?

You have to find the universities that offers this type of scholarship. After that, you have to contact the grad school or your prospective professor and submit the necessary documents.
During the application process, they might ask you to take the entrance exam or the interview. Finally, the university will select the candidates and nominate them to MEXT.

Yes, as @b4lmung has said, you basically apply for entrance to the university as any person would. After that the school will move to nominate you. Of course, I think it would be best to speak about this plan with admin and faculty at the school before sending off an application. It is very do-able though and actually your 'failure' at the embassy works in your favour - the school's admin won't tell you to try the embassy route instead!

I would really like to know about other scholarships to Japan rather than MEXT. I didn't pass first screening for 2016 MEXT scholarship, and that is why I'd like to know about other alternatives.

thanks.

You could find various scholarships other than MEXT from this website :
Scholarships for International Students in Japan -JASSO

You could also take U-to-U MEXT scholarships as others said. The application period usually starts around the end of year. However, you should be aware that U-to-U MEXT scholarship is relatively more competitive than embassy recommended one since the quota of students is very limited for each faculty/department.

Anyway, I've failed U-to-U twice (for Kyodai and TMU) :D

You could find various scholarships other than MEXT from this website :
Scholarships for International Students in Japan -JASSO

You could also take U-to-U MEXT scholarships as others said. The application period usually starts around the end of year. However, you should be aware that U-to-U MEXT scholarship is relatively more competitive than embassy recommended one since the quota of students is very limited for each faculty/department.

Anyway, I've failed U-to-U twice (for Kyodai and TMU) :D
Could I ask about your experience with university rec?

Your uni has an exchange agreement with those two? Or you applied directly?

Also, was your failing to get the MEXT before or after writing the respective uni's entrance exams?

I am interested for friends who might try the Uni route.

Could I ask about your experience with university rec?

Your uni has an exchange agreement with those two? Or you applied directly?

Also, was your failing to get the MEXT before or after writing the respective uni's entrance exams?

I am interested for friends who might try the Uni route.

No exchange agreement. I apply directly with help from professors I've known at both universities.
They already told me that there was only 1 position available for their faculty at that time. Nevertheless, they encouraged me to apply and asked some documents as those needed for scholarship selection.

They told me my failed status at a faculty meeting to decide the awardee of scholarship. Thus, I failed before the entrance exam :D

No exchange agreement. I apply directly with help from professors I've known at both universities.
They already told me that there was only 1 position available for their faculty at that time. Nevertheless, they encouraged me to apply and asked some documents as those needed for scholarship selection.

They told me my failed status at a faculty meeting to decide the awardee of scholarship. Thus, I failed before the entrance exam :D
It is nice to have heard before having to unnecessarily written the exam though isn't it? This is a good system.

Can any one help me how to get an Univ recommendation. I did my summer research Internship form a univ at japan, how to & when to ask that prof to recommend me for mext? Does Univ recommendation guarantees the scholarship?

Can any one help me how to get an Univ recommendation. I did my summer research Internship form a univ at japan, how to & when to ask that prof to recommend me for mext? Does Univ recommendation guarantees the scholarship?

Do you mean the U to U mext or the G to G? Currently, I have passed the primary screening of MEXT 2016. I have accepted 2 recommendations (LoA) from two Professors. In my case, I contacted the Professor directly and it works. However, some universities website stated that you may have to contact the International Affair Office to ask for Professor's recommendation. In short, the International Affair Office will contact the Professor on your behalf. Tokyo University and Kyoto University did this.

I do not know the recommendation for U to U MEXT tho

The Rotary Club. I got one scholarship last year (14 man/month). You'll meet great people there. They support you and help you too. Look at their website.

Hi Nemuyoake! I am in a similar situation as the OP. I failed the embassy MEXT screening. However, I have already taken the entrance examination for my program (Master's) and passed, as well as kept in close contact with my prospective professor.

Sorry to piggy-back off this thread, but I am currently looking into the Rotary Scholarship in Tokyo. Do you have any tips for success? This year, a JLPT N3 level of Japanese is required for Tokyo. I would say my level is more around N4 to be honest. Nonetheless, do you recommend submitting my documents in Japanese? Also, were you interviewed in any way before being awarded the scholarship?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Yes, it'd be better to submit your docs in Japanese. There is an interview too (well, at least, I had one). They usually give scholarships to people from "poor" (developping) countries, but sometimes they try to diversify, especially when the person they have in front of them has a particular project that's useful to others. For example, if you want to become a trader, I don't think you'll get the scholarship. But, if you want to do a job like nurse, teacher etc., you have a big chance to get this scholarship. Your project must serve international relations between countries/people or be useful to the world/society, even at a small scale.

Back
Top Bottom