1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeking information about artist H. Kanaya

Discussion in 'All Things Japanese' started by rdiane1, Jul 31, 2003.

1. rdiane1

rdiane1 New Member

Jul 30, 2003
    I have a tile painting by H. Kanaya. Where can I find information about this artist and this artist's work?

On the back of the 3-tiled painting are some notes about the artist:

"H. Kanaya, a young artist of Kyoto who finds greater inspiration in the masters of the Edo period than in the works of Wester painters. His traditional Oriental techniques are finding an increasing following among the sophisticated art lovers."

2. docbudd

docbudd 後輩
    後輩

Mar 25, 2005
    Re: Artist H. Kanaya

I also have a painting by Kanaya on three ceramic tiles with the same type of label glued on the wooden back. My painting has two brown and grey-blue birds sitting on a think branch surrounded by plum colored blossoms. I noticed that you posted your query two years ago. Did you receive any useful information? I don't know anything else about the artist, I found your query when I did a Web search for the artist.

3. rdiane1

rdiane1 New Member

Jul 30, 2003
    I did receive one private message from someone else with a tile Kanaya painting, but that person didn't know anything about the artist either.

4. maggiesmithers

後輩

Jul 20, 2006
    I was given a set of two, three framed tiles by H.Kanaya.They are of mallard ducks landing upon a pond. My uncle was in Japan and purchased them sometime in the late fifties. Mine also have the wooden backs with the short biography. Where do we go for more information or to find more of Kanaya's work?

5. rdiane1

rdiane1 New Member

Jul 30, 2003
    I still have not been able to track down any information about this artist. Either this person is still an unknown and the paintings are worthless, or they're very rare and are priceless! Either way, I like mine!

6. ArmandV

ArmandV Seven Times To Japan
    先輩

Oct 18, 2004
    Did you try Google or other search engines?

7. scotty9375

scotty9375 後輩
    後輩

Mar 18, 2009
    h. kanaya

I also have 2 tile paintings by same person. Have contacted university in area and will hopefully hear from them soon.
    Will post info t get. Scotty

8. scotty9375

scotty9375 後輩
    後輩

Mar 18, 2009
    kanaya

I HAVE NOT FOUND ANYTHING. THE UNIVERSITY IN THE AREA KNOWS NOTHING.
    SORRY! I THINK WHAT I WILL DO IS PUT A PRICE ON IT MYSELF (between $3,000.00 and $10.000.00) see if i can create a market for these particular tile painting. ANYBODY GOT ANOTHER SUGGESTION ???

9. nice gaijin

nice gaijin Resident Realist
    先輩

Aug 8, 2005
  10. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 松葉解禁
    Staff Member Moderator

Feb 22, 2008