1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Mojibake 文字化け

Dear valued Members, due to the recent forum conversion a lot of threads in the 日本語 section still display garbled Japanese characters. We are aware of the situation and work hard on resolving this issue. As all the corrections have to be done manually, this will take some time. We thank you for your patience and understanding!

Stroke order of 窶堙? doesn't follow the rules?

Discussion in 'Learning Japanese' started by syneris, Oct 25, 2010.

1. syneris

syneris 後輩
    後輩

Oct 25, 2010
    Hello, I'm learning to read and write hiragana and the stroke order of mo doesn't appear to follow the normal rules. Why do you draw the vertical stroke first before the two horizontal strokes? Is there a reason for it or is it just an exception?

2. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 禁漁期
    Staff Member Moderator

Feb 22, 2008
    も was made from the 草書体[そうしょたい] of the kanji 毛[モウ, け]. So, the stroke order of も was also from the the stroke order of 毛.
    Incidentally, the stroke oder is different in 楷書体[かいしょたい]. (The link of the wiktionary page doesn't work due to garbled characters. Please search 毛 on Wiktionary. The page has the flash of the stroke order.)

3. syneris

syneris 後輩
    後輩

Oct 25, 2010
    Okay thanks, it just seemed odd that 窶堙? draws the hook first while ニ停? and 窶禿 draw the horizontal lines first like the stroke order rules i've read.

Probably same thing with 窶堙 窶堙ュ 窶堙ェ ? Those 3 will most likely be the hardest for me to remember which is which.

4. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 禁漁期
    Staff Member Moderator

Feb 22, 2008
    ニ停? was made from 窶禿 in ナセツイツ鞘?倪?佚 unlike 窶堙?. That's why those two kanas have different stroke orders.:)

窶堙? 窶堙ュ, 窶堙ェ are from the 窶伉青鞘?倪?佚 of 窶扞, ヒ彗, 窶氾ァ respectively.