1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To slurp or not to slurp??

Discussion in 'Japanese Food & Recipes' started by neko_girl22, Oct 5, 2003.

?
  1. Yes, I can

107 vote(s)
    71.3%
  2. No, I can't

14 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. I have never tried

19 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. I think it's disgusting!!

12 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. m477

m477 Sempai

The way I see it, slurping is pretty much mandatory as far as ramen goes. Slurping is the only way to eat it quickly without scalding yourself, and if you eat slowly it will get cold before you're done.

2. playaa

playaa Dog Youkai
    Donor

I can slurp, havnt done it out in public yet though :) Should be interesting.

3. RockLee

RockLee Hullu

There have been studies that when you are slurping you can taste the things you eat better...hehe...I'm brought up without the slurping...when I do..I just say to my parents: "In Japan it is polite to slurp...soooo...". :) Usually they tell me even so not to do it -_-;

4. sayuri

sayuri 十人十色

The first time i slurped was quite fun. Actually since then, i can't imagine myself NOT slurping when eating those burning hot noodles.

I remember i was at the Japan Center in London with my boyfriend and we had ordered Curry Udon (oooooohhh so delicious :cute: ) and i started slurping like crazy and he started blushing, he was like :eek:kashii: "are you mad?! what the hell you think you're doing? stop it, you're embarassing me" that made me laugh i was like "stop being such a p***y and slurp your udon too, that's the japanese way of eating" :p . The japanese people around me didn't pay attention at all, but the brits were *shocked* :eek:

I just think you have to adapt yourself to the country you're going to. It's not easy to eat with chopsticks but you have no choice but to use them, you might not like the idea of slurping your noodles but that's how you're supposed to eat them.
    Consider yourself lucky, because in some countries you have to eat with your hand (no cutlery of any kind is used) and trust me that ain't easy at all (unless you've mastered the technic of course....)

:dance: DO THE SLURPING :ramen: ! :cool:

5. Budderfly

Budderfly Kouhai

A friend of mine (who's Japanese) told me that in Japan it's okay for men to slurp but women shouldn't. It bad manners.

6. Lina Inverse

Lina Inverse Sempai

Udon and Ramen are meant to be slurped! You can't really fully enjoy them without slurping! :ramen:

7. sora

sora 先輩

..lol..i never really tyr to do that..lol..i think my friend tried that once though..^^''

8. Brooker

Brooker Anjin

I understand that slurping is ok in the Japanese culture and I respect that, but, for me, hearing the sounds of people eating has always been a big pet peeve - it causes me to loose my appetite. But I rarely ate ramen in Japan because it didn't really agree with me, so it wasn't that big an issue.

9. yimija

yimija Now it's me

we all have

Yes ! Shirts can be washed, Kirei_na_me !!!

I say : Let's slurp our head off !!!

but then you can't do it if you're invited in the white house (that is if it happens to you, one day) nor if you are in "non initiated company ". But I know I love it within my own personnal circle. Food taste much better that way. It's a way of life, too. But let's not shock or disgust others.

It's like in some arabic countries, if you are invited, you MUST (really HAVE TO) burp at the end of the meal, otherwise you might imply that you were not fed correctly and/or the food was not enjoyable. It's a great insult no to burp.

So, why not ? Let's slurp !!

10. reicheru

reicheru bara gohon

Aw man, this is making me want to go make some soba! I love slurping!

11. michi

michi Regular House Cat

wow, i never knew that slurping needed to be taught.

I thought it was one of those instinctive things, like chewing...or such.

12. Wakaranai

Wakaranai 先輩

When drinking coffie I slurp.

13. King of Tokyo

King of Tokyo The Funky Homosapien.

Yes, Yes and Yes, slurping is unavoidable, and the best way to noodles :ramen:

14. jieshi

jieshi Japaustralian

i didnt think it was possible for people to not be able to slurp noodles! oh well i love slurping noodles. when i have noodles at home i slurp them and my mum tells me to shut up and then i say "mum its the correct etiquette for showing the noodles taste good" and then shes off my case

15. Jean-Francois

Jean-Francois Sempai

I don't slurp and I don't like people slurping when I am eating. It is so noisy... >_<

There are Japanese people saying that it is a custom in Northern China to slurp their udons too. Actually, there are a lot of southern Chinese slurp even when they are eating instant noodles.

16. misa.j

misa.j Sempai
    Donor

I had "somen" yesterday, tried to slurp once or twice, but I hated it.
    Slurping makes hard to eat for me, soup splashes all over my face, suck too much air and noodles at the same time that make me gag.

I used to be able to slurp, though I don't think it's that much fun either.

17. mushroom hunting

slurping is fun. im proud to say that im pretty noisy when i do it.

18. Nuala

Nuala Hell's Finest Daughter
    Donor

I went to a noodle house in my town once and I ordered ramen. I sat down at a table with the bowl of ramen and I slurped it. They asked me to leave because the mannered customers were being offended by it.

19. TimF

TimF Sempai

I can slurp if I want to but I can cut it out at anytime it I guess all depends where I am at. But when it comes to drinking the broth of the ramen you almost have to slurp that beacuse it is so damn hot you only take it in small slurped ammounts. :ramen:

20. Lina Inverse

Lina Inverse Sempai

You just need some slurping practice! :haihai:
    Hold the noodles with your chopsticks while slurping so they don't go all over the place splashing the broth everywhere.

21. misa.j

misa.j Sempai
    Donor

You're very kind to give me that advice, thank you. :)
    I had been slurping for 25 years when I ate noodles in Japan, but I think I lost my skill.

22. Sinspawne

Sinspawne ...what?!...

Never tried slurping noodles.. i lift it up with my fork to cool it off...
    My parents raised me so well, that it rendered me incabable of slurping :oops:

I'm serious. I just can not eat anything in public that i have to slurp.
    If i slurp and a person walks by, i feel very uncomfortable even embarrassed.

is there any evening courses on slurping noodles? :D
    :ramen:

23. Apollo

Apollo Cat lover

nope.......I don't slurp my noodles. -but I can, if forced!! :lol:

Well, it is not polite to slurp here in Europe, so I don't, I was raised that way I guess.
    My mother who is Japanese, doesn't slurp her noodles - I think it is because of conventions in Western countries.

24. Hero

Hero Kouhai

Hahahaa.... When I heard that slurping is to show you like the food.. I slurped all the time 'cause all them noodles were always d**n good, huhuhu

Since on the subject of food/noodles... don't try to take someone elses food from their chopsticks using your chopsticks. It's bad manners, as I've found out while trying to take my girls noodles, lol.

DOH~! >.<

25. RockLee

RockLee Hullu

When somebody dies, they pass on every piece of bones to eachother into the urn....that's why they don't do it ;-)....also if someone takes something, the other one can't take that.

*ontopic : I slurped so much while in Japan, especially with the ramen en udon and SOBAAAAAAAAAA!!!! oishii !!!!!!!! damn I miss Soba :(