What's new

Tokyo Food scene

MartiniBar

I'll Eat That
29 Aug 2007
So my sister is in Japan for the next year teaching English, I think she's in Gunma. Anyway, I'm planning on visiting her in October and we're spending a week in Tokyo. I need help finding places to eat. Specifically, I want to try the "weird" food Japan has to offer. At least weird by western standards.

Good old Sis isn't a help. She has no desire to help me and told me to do research on my own because she not particularly interested in eating strange stuff. But she'll watch me eat it.

So please, suggestions on where to go and what to eat would be highly appreciated. I know Tokyo is huge, so if there is a certain district I should pay extra attention to, please enlighten me. Some things I do want to try is whale, blowfish, and I heard a rumor about dolphin being served. I've seen some cable shows about odd Japanese foods like frog sashimi and multiple course meals made from turtles. Basically anything that you cannot find on a menu in the US.

Thanks y'all.

I don't know much about "weird" foods, but this is a famous whalemeat restaurant in Shibuya. Lunch starting at 1500 yen and dinner at 5000 yen:
Kujira-ya

As for blowfish (fugu/fuku), it is a winter delicacy, so prices for blowfish, which is expensive to eat even in season, may be higher in October. However, restaurants shouldn't be hard to find in Tokyo.

I have a feeling that Gunma has its share of interesting foods to eat, so you should check out local fare as well. :)

Thanks so much for the tip. Researching restaurants is so daunting because there just so many. And I still don't quite understand the layout of the city either. Oh well, thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom