What's new

Update to samurai ancestor search: Seeking Japanese-speaking assistance

Sorry to bother you again, but would the names of the brothers on the monument be in birth order? In other words, first born, then second born and so on?

As for your ancestor's, yes. However, it's not so common. Usually, the names are listed in the order of the death dates on the tombstone. Also, as I mentioned previously, the position of the eldest son is also unusual. That's why I think the tomb was erected by a descendant of Tsunetarō, as I wrote.

By the way, a long vowel and short vowel or voiced consonant and voiceless consonant must be distinguished in Japanese, respectively. こたろう and こうたろう are completely different names, for instance. I think you meant ひろぞう Hirozō / Hirozou by Hiroso.

Thanks, you've made an excellent point. Unfortunately, this uncle has been identified as Hirozu, Hiroso, and Hirosu by family and census records. This has created a lot of confusion. At least we know now the correct pronunciation and spelling.

As for your ancestor's, yes. However, it's not so common. Usually, the names are listed in the order of the death dates on the tombstone. Also, as I mentioned previously, the position of the eldest son is also unusual. That's why I think the tomb was erected by a descendant of Tsunetarō, as I wrote.
You mean Tsunejiro, right? The ongoing confusion for everyone has been "who is Tsunetaro?" and I think it somehow mistakenly entered the conversation here.

Thanks, you see it makes a big difference as we try to identify Tsunejiro's brothers from census and ship's records. Starting with Tsunejiro, we estimate the next brother was born 1 - 2 years afterwards, the next brother 1 - 2 years after that, etc.

This might cause more confusion, but it seems that ひろし Hiroshi is also possible to me...

You mean Tsunejiro, right? The ongoing confusion for everyone has been "who is Tsunetaro?" and I think it somehow mistakenly entered the conversation here.
Ooops, sorry. Yeah, I meant Tsunejirō.

If it's written in some kind of kanji, not in hiragana or katakana, yes, it's quite easily misread. Or more likely, the kanji 博, 弘 or 宏 can be read both Hiroshi and Hiromu, so it's "unknown which is correct", not "misread".

Back
Top Bottom