What's new

What do Japanese listen to the most?

TokyoTom

後輩
2 Jun 2012
Hey there. I live in America and I'm sick of the ****** music we have. At my school there are a bunch of annoying kids who think they're thug just because they listen to rap. There are also a lot of losers who try to act redneck because they listen to country music. I hope this cancer hasn't spread to Japan. Japanese people are the most disciplined on Earth, and this disease must not change that. I know death metal and pop are huge in Japan, something I don't mind. I love traditional Japanese folk music. Hope it's still alive over there.

Various kind of music in Japan, rap isn7t that popular but hip hop and R&b are doing pretty well here as well.
Non-Japanese artists are mainly pop artists though.

Who said death metal was popular in Japan? I think you're thinking of Sweden and Scandinavia. Trust me if you're sick of American bull sh*t music, death metal is the way to go. If you want, I can recommend a ton of great bands that beat the crap out of the horrible abomination that is the mainstream. To start with, I recommend Dead By April, The Unguided, and In Flames. I can give you more if you want.

I heard Bump of Chicken in a department store the other day. Their new stuff is pretty much heavily plaid on the radio, even though their new stuff is pretty bad compared to their old stuff.

From what I've gathered, rock music, and rock-influenced music seems to be more widely popular in Japan than the States, or here in Scandinavia. Listening to the radio here and in the US, I hear either classic rock (always the same songs too) or pop dance songs. I really want to visit Japan and go to some concerts!

I think tht teens would be teens in any country. They treat their music preferences as a way for self-expression and really - ther's hardly something easier than that. Here's how this works: "You like RAP - I like RAP= we are friends forever. Those who don't like RAP are different. They can't be our friends." (RAP was a mere example though any genre can be used in this context). Therefore, these are not music preferences but rather a trait of character so typical of the 'difficult age'.

Unfortunately, most of the Japanese population (maybe even more in most Western countries I know of) will be into exactly what you put in front of them. These days idol groups are very popular, in particular AKB48 and similar groups. Also, K-pop is very popular now, and ofcourse there's "anime music", though that's a very loose term...
However, there are sub groups in Japan too!
The hardcore rock/punk/melocore scene is pretty strong right now. And there's of course the Visual Kei community and heavy metal community (though they seem to mostly be into foreign music), and there's the hardcore techno/ravers scene, but I don't know much about them.

Traditional Japanese music is not generally popular with the kids now, but I'm sure there are interest groups for them too!

Back
Top Bottom