What's new

What Japanese Foods DON'T You Like?

What Japanese Foods DON'T You Like?

• Total voters
I must confess ... 😊

I find Nori a little too strong in flavor for me ...

It's one of the reasons I prefer Sashimi to Sushi ....

ニ淡ニ停?。ニ停?

I really don't like wasabi
It's too spicy for me
Even having only a tiny bit, It burns my tongue
And I really don't like it when they put it into the sushi and don't tell us

wasabi, umeboshi, and karashi mustard, are probably my 3 arch nemeses in the world of Japanese food. Oh and I guess uni, ikura, and products made with anko.... I don't have much of a sweet tooth to begin with.

Actually I take back wasabi, if just a dab of it is mixed in with soy sauce (for sashimi), i kind of like it. But keep it off my sushi!!!

Last edited:
For those who said they didn't like Kanimiso, it is NOT the brain of a crab as indicated in the poll. It is an organ that has the fuction of the pancreas and the liver. I totally understand how people find it disgusting to eat the BRAIN of an animal but the pancreas and the liver?? Doesn't sound so bad now, is it? I love Kanimiso myself. It's rich and creamy and absolutely delicious on a piece of toasted Rye bread.

Hello!

Basically I like all Japanese food.

But, I can't eat namako. I hate namako's texture and black and pimplyツ

face. I think many Japanese people also dislike namako.

Oogh, wasabi... Yucky. >_<
I was tricked into eating a big chunk of it when I was younger, and disliked it ever since.

i dont like sea-urchin. just tastes weird.

but i love sushi. i eat it as often as possible. luckily we have some good restaurants here in hong kong.

I haven't tried a lot of those foods on the list. The one I voted for was wasabi. I can't belive people eat this. Anyway, can any of you that have tried a lot of japanese food tell me what most of these taste like?
Because I know every food has a taste alike. xD

For those who said they didn't like Kanimiso, it is NOT the brain of a crab as indicated in the poll. It is an organ that has the fuction of the pancreas and the liver. I totally understand how people find it disgusting to eat the BRAIN of an animal but the pancreas and the liver?? Doesn't sound so bad now, is it? I love Kanimiso myself. It's rich and creamy and absolutely delicious on a piece of toasted Rye bread.

I have never tried this myself, but I am intrigued by it. The thought of it being brains or any other organ doesn't disgust me, given that I've had cow brains, eyes and tongue. I wish I could taste all those foods listed on the poll that I haven't tried yet. Especially okonomiyaki.

I'm rarely disgusted by any food. I always try to taste it first. Like the first time I tried wasabi. As soon as I was about to eat it, I felt a chill down my spine because of it's disgusting smell.

There ARE some things I won't try though. *cough*horse meat*cough* It just doesn't seem right. As well as deer and lamb meat. UGH!

I'm generally a very adventurous eater, and so far the only Japanese foods I don't really like are nattou and raw shrimp ><

Wasabi. I love spicy foods, but wasabi sort of burns your nostrils and not exactly your mouth. It's just not my sort of thing.

Ikura is also something I don't really enjoy. They say if it's REALLY fresh you don't get that much of a fishy taste, but I don't know

I'm a wasabi fanatic, I can eat it without any toppings no problem. But some things that I steer clear of are the Crab Brains, Raw Horse, Fried Grasshoppers, Pickled (Anything, except saurkrautz (SP) but thats German), and Nattou..

yakiton

One of the new kind of restaurants around Tokyo since a year or so ago is the yakiton restaurant. It's like yakitori but instead of chicken on wooden skewers, pork is used. While I'm a big fan of yakitori and tonkatsu, I find yakiton very unappealing. It's too chewy and less tasty than either yakitori or tonkatsu.

The Spanish Tapa bars that are sprouting around in Tokyo with big legs of ham displayed and carved right in front of you are, IMO, a much better option. But order beer or regular wine to go with your food instead of sherry.

Sushi/sashimi: obvious
Sukiyaki: vegetables, tofu and beef cooked ina pot, dipped in a raw egg
Okonomiyaki: pancake with a variety of ingredients and toppings
Udon/zoba: Japanese noodles, endless local varieties
Tempura (tendon): seafood, vegetables and other things deep fried in Tempura batter
Ramen/somen: another variety of Japanese noodles (somen are usually eaten cold in summer)
Donburi: bowl of rice with different toppings
Gyoza: dumplings of Chinese origin
Shabu shabu: Japanese meat fondue
Yakitori: grilled chicken skewers

I don't like eating all fish.Spend more time with your family and friends,eat your favorite foods,visit the places you love

Sorry to burst your bubble, but japanese food and korean/chinese food share TONS of the same food. In korea they eat as much onigiri as japanese, and in china they drink ramen and udon like no other. Ignoring the fact that the japanese colonized both countries they have been trading food recipies for thousands of years >>

I selected "Nothing" because I'll eat anything and 99.999% of the time like it. And if I don't like it, it's only like "Meh...I could live with out it" as opposed to "yuck~".

I grew up eating lots of cajun food, so Okra never strikes me as being Japanese. I've prepared and eaten it many times both Cajun and Japanese style though.

I've had many first experiences with Japanese food not knowing what I'm eating. The first times I ate kanimiso, konnyaku, basashi, octopus, and uni I had no idea what they were. Well, I figured out the octopus when I noticed many tentacle shaped parts. Every time I was just like "Hm, that tastes pretty good."

Back
Top Bottom