1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's your favorite Japanese food?

Discussion in 'Japanese Food & Recipes' started by thomas, May 15, 2002.

?
  1. Sushi/Sashimi

147 vote(s)
    37.3%
  2. Sukiyaki

17 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Okonomiyaki

23 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. Udon/Zoba

31 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. Tempura

25 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. Ramen/Somen

76 vote(s)
    19.3%
  7. Donburi

16 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. Gyoza

14 vote(s)
    3.6%
  9. Shabu shabu

13 vote(s)
    3.3%
  10. Yakitori

21 vote(s)
    5.3%
  11. Tonkatsu

11 vote(s)
    2.8%
  12. Nikujaga

3 vote(s)
    0.8%
  1. curry and udon!!

and tempura! XD

is tofu considered Japanese?:confused:

if it is then that too! ^_^

2. neko_girl22

neko_girl22 先輩

I loooove tofu too.

I am going to an asian medicine doctor and he's given me this STRICT diet to adhere to : no meat, oil of anykind, sugar & milk.

so... I eat washoku everyday! so now, I looove fish - saba and aji especially.... oh and I love somen! I'm pretty restricted to what I can eat, but as soon as I'm off this diet I'll go straight to karaage - yummm.

anyone like nato? I haven't the courage to try it yet!

3. tasuki

tasuki 先輩

If you like smelly cheese, nattou is just like it, I find. The feeling in the mouth is not quite the same, however. If you like the feeling of beens in very sticky cheese in your mouth, you should like it. Yet, you'd be surprised just how many people just can't stomach the stuff here either, so there's no shame in avoiding it. I've only had it a couple of times in 5 years here...

It's funny that you say that you eat Japanese style every day now that you're on a diet... I find Japanese dishes very fat, myself...

Back on track, can anything top okonomiyaki? Or tonkotsu ramen?

4. Maciamo

Maciamo Twirling dragon

There are too many dishes to be listed, but here are those who spring to mind : tantanmen, miso ramen, jajamen, tofu gratin, katsudon, soborodon, kaisendon, hijiki, sushi, negitoro maki, subuta...

I guess most people don't know half of them, as they are either home-cooking (hijiki, soborodon...) and thus difficult to find in restaurants, or not so common for foreigners (tantanmen, jajamen, which are kinds of "ramen", the first is in red hor soup, the second without soup, but to dip in a thick meat-ginger-bambu sauce).

5. neko_girl22

neko_girl22 先輩

that sounds so yum Maciamo!! I'm going to ask my husband to make it for me, especially jajamen sounds yummmm! (If it fits my diet. Imagine - a Japanese man who likes to cook wow!)

P.S - someone said Japanese food is fatty, which a lot of it can be today - but I'm talking about TRADITIONAL washoku - grilled fish, rice, somen, tofu, sashimi, tsukemono etc......

6. kirei_na_me

kirei_na_me Where I'm Supposed to Be

haha...nzueda...it is weird to have a Japanese man that cooks! Mine used to love to cook. I will never forget the look on my Japanese friend's face as my husband told her about how he used the "bouquet garnis" in his recipe for curry rice... :p hehe

#56 kirei_na_me, Jul 9, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2003
  7. neko_girl22

neko_girl22 先輩

Greetings to a fellow gaijin wife! we are a rare breed! The rest of western women out there don't know what they're missing out on.......... hehe

:love:

8. Gackt's Twin Fan

:mad: Not trying to sound weird, but you know those Japanese places where they cook in front of you... The smell of the oil they use makes me feel sick. I haven't had any different kind of Japanese food, the smell of that oil haunts me. :(

9. kirei_na_me

You are not alone! We have those teppanyaki restaurants everywhere around here. Of course, teppanyaki isn't real traditional style Japanese food.

I got so sick at one of those teppanyaki places one time. I think it was because they drown everything in soy sauce... :eek:

10. Haivart

Haivart 先輩

That is very different than "traditional" Japanese cuisine. In fact, I believe it to be more American than Japanese (and it's not mentioned in any of my Japanese cookbooks). Japanese cuisine is light and delicate, in my opinion. No heavy flavors, very little oil. Others will expand, and maybe make clearer what I've said (please do).

11. Gackt's Twin Fan

I though you'd all laugh at me. My cousin loves those places, but I don't know how she could with that smell. I haven't been to any other place like that, but is there a Japanese food you'd prefure(sp) me to try. I don't mind trying new things.

12. kinjo

kinjo Sempai

I've never really gotten to try any. My sister says it smells really bad and it makes her sick, while my cousin thinks its really good.

13. neko_girl22

neko_girl22 先輩

Teppanyaki is entertainment for gaijin, rather than traditional cuisine......
    It's true, that in traditional food, they don't drown the food in sauces, they let the food speak for itself...

14. justin

justin The Rise of Cobra

Sushi is my favorite kind of Japanese food! Wish I knew how to make it! Are there any good Japanese steak dishes?

15. blockhar

blockhar 先輩

i personally love some karaage and gohan. this is a great combination for me and japanese rice is good, i can eat it by itself. Also eat the karaage with some mayonaise. its the best.

16. eimik

eimik 先輩

kabayaki

doo doo doo

17. neko_girl22

neko_girl22 先輩

karaage and rice!!! yes!!! YUMMM! I adore karaage.
    Ebifry is pretty darn good too!

Now that the temperatures are dropping a bit, I'm loving nabe! and today we bought "Hot carpet" .... eating nabe, sitting on the electric carpet, and drinking sake on a cold night.... mmmmm heaven!! :p

18. djl_ottawa

djl_ottawa Student of Japanese Stuff

With my fiance having lived in Japan for 3 years she is always making something. There is this one item I love and I cannot remember the name it of. She says that alot of students make it. It looks almost like a pancake with things in it, like chicken, veggies. and its pan fried. Which you then dip in either mayo or something else (not sure the name. Man my memory is BAD today).

I also LOVE tempura, raman noodles with miso soup base (I have the paste stuff in my fridge at home), Yakitory. Oh and I LOVE red bean paste cups. (yummy)

19. kirei_na_me

Okonomiyaki? ;) I've eaten that so much I'm sick of it. I used to love it with Kewpie mayonnaise and okonomi sauce.

20. kirei_na_me

My vote was for donburi. I love oyako donburi. I also love katsudon.

Other things I can't live without are tempura soba, futomaki, daifuku, nikuman, inari zushi, takoyaki, kitsune udon, etc. etc. etc. .etc.....

21. djl_ottawa

djl_ottawa Student of Japanese Stuff

Yes! thats it.. I can say I have not had it enough to get sick. I am told its like the Craft Dinner we have here. (macaroni and powdered cheese for those wondering). Its cheap to make.

22. spine

spine Kouhai

Sushi for me, but I had this dish once and it was great. Sorry don't know the name but my wife had Tempura and that was good too.

Anyone go to Kamehachi in Chicago for shushi?

23. neko_girl22

neko_girl22 先輩

When you used to make Okonomiyaki K-N-M did you make it Hiroshima or Kansai style? But your hubby comes from neither of those places so perhaps you made an original one ;)
    I would never tell my kansai husband but I think my fav is Hiroshima hehe

24. rancidswim

rancidswim 後輩

TEMPURA!!!!!!!!!!!! anytime anywhere anyday :D

25. Mandylion

Mandylion Omnipotence personified

Yudofu. Fantastic stuff.