1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who likes Japanese Breakfast

Discussion in 'Japanese Food & Recipes' started by Davey, Apr 9, 2005.

?
  1. Love it

35 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. Hate it

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  3. Its okay

14 vote(s)
    16.9%
  4. Never tried

33 vote(s)
    39.8%
  1. bezz

bezz 先輩

早寝早起き朝ごはん

Statistics show that gangsta&thugs tend to skip breakfast, MEXT concluded that they must be rehabilitated by forcing kids eat breakfast.

Just like geriactrics studies tell that people tend to die in hospitals therefore such institutions should be demolished at once in order to get better life expectancy.

Link

2. sl0thmachin3

sl0thmachin3 iron monkey

Rice, raw egg and soy sauce?? I haven't tried that yet. How is it prepared? Does one put egg on top of the rice then mix?

My usual breakfast is fried rice and left-overs from last nights dinner. If I feel a bit creative I'd make a special fried rice with vegetables and tuna, chicken or beef and egg mixed in.

3. Dogen Z

Dogen Z aka YOSUQUE

The traditional breakfast is basically grilled fish (usually salmon), rice, miso soup, and pickled veggies. GREAT STUFF! The raw egg and natto are optional. But Tokyo is now living on Internet time so most families have a quick western style breakfast of toast and coffee (maybe fried eggs) or cereal. Healthier people have yogurt and/or granola. You can get an Egg McMuffin almost everywhere, but NO Breakfast Burrito! Tohoho. :(

4. bartbeanie

bartbeanie 先輩

i never a japanese breakfast before, but the possibilities seem endless:)

5. Dogen Z

Dogen Z aka YOSUQUE

Breakfast at Denny's

Picture of traditional Japanese breakfast at Denny's, just 500 yen. :)

[​IMG]

Most people, however, opt for the morning set which is a thick, thick piece of toast with jam and butter, small salad, and coffee/black tea (egg & ham, optional)

[​IMG]

#55 Dogen Z, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  6. Chidoriashi

Chidoriashi In imagination land

Hmm, (traditional) Japanese breakfast foods are really not all that distinct from other Japanese foods. So I suppose I like it.

7. kusangai

kusangai 後輩

True. Raw egg is intimidating but I love green tea!

8. Oread

Oread 後輩

Yes! I love having a large breakfast as I wake up absolutely starving in the morning. Rice, egg, miso soup, pickles, seaweed, and/or fish sounds very yummy for breakfast. I usually just have oatmeal though because it's so cheap. Sometimes I have natto rice and a smoothie. Sometimes I have miso soup with an egg poached in it and rice. I always have green tea. Hot gen-maicha in the winter, iced green tea in the summer with some sort of fruit flavor added.

9. 4321go

4321go Happy

I'd like to see the picture of every item of them~

10. bakaKanadajin

bakaKanadajin 先輩

Going from what my students say..

Kids: pan (plain, white, styrofoam-like bread)
    Young men: onigiri and black coffee, or often nothing at all
    Girls: yogurt drink

I like the Japanese breakfast but I prefer my own Western breakfast of oatmeal fruit and fried eggs. If I had a Japanese wife who made me a Japanese breakfast though, I would not complain!
    :D

11. Mothling

Mothling

I must admit, I have never had the "Japanese Breakfast" as described here, though I am certainly interested in trying it! I am in the same boat as sl0thmachin3 though, how exactly is it prepared? It it really as simple as just breaking the egg and pouring the insides on top of some cold rice, and eating?

12. Petaris

Petaris Sailing away...
    Donor

I've had the traditional style Japanese breakfast when I stayed with my wife at a traditional style hotel. It was ok, but not really my thing. I don't mind having miso soup in the morning though. I don't usually care for the miso soup made in restaurants as it tends to be a bit salty but the one my wife makes is really delicious! :D

13. Nuala

Nuala Hell's Finest Daughter
    Donor

I like the idea of onigiri and black coffee for breakfast.

14. Yukakko

Yukakko 後輩

I am Japanese and I know the Japanese breakfast.
    But I eat bread for breakfast.
    I like the Japanese breakfast, but I don't have enough time to prepare it in the morning.
    My mother may think so too, so I have eaten bread for breakfast since I was a little child.

And we can eat miso soup or rice with a raw egg or something which is likely to be in the Japanese breakfast not only in the morning.

15. DemstarAus

DemstarAus 先輩

Yum! I could eat that! I LOOOOVE green tea. Natto looks really tasty! Anyone know where you can get it in Australia? Oh man, natto, rice and an egg, I could really go for that right now!

16. TorranceE

TorranceE Banned

Basically I do not eat breakfast because I do not like to eat early in the morning. I once tried Japanese breakfast but I did not like it. so I am not sure if I did not like it because it was Japanese or just because I do not like breakfast in general.