What's new

As a nation, does Japan have a gloomy future?

edogaijin

先輩
20 Feb 2014
Title here says it all. This is meant to be a serious discussion. Given the low birthrate, shifting demographics, state of the economy and predictions of a massive earthquake... is Japan going to have a good future? My personal opinion is I see Japan going one of two ways: pursuing better relations with its neighbors and allowing more foreigners into Japan or scaling down on a "smaller Japan" and becoming even more isolationist and cut off from the outside world.

In the case of the latter choice, I'd expect that would have dire economic consequences for Japan and create problems such as a permanently devalued yen and a massive labour shortage in 30-50 years.

I'm having negative thoughts here and there.
I wonder when the day everyone in the world becomes happy will come?(Just my naive wishful thinking though).

Many countless things happened.
But Japan won't have gloomy future as long as many more people reach out to them, and try whatever people does best to help, closer and getting closer to at least hear out their voices and feelings.
There must be something we can do.
Well, for me I'm not the person who can do that right now.
As of now, I'm just all talk.

Gloomy future? Yes.
But with global warming and environmental degradation and the pressures that they will put on the worldwide food and water supply and international relations, I think that Japan's low birthrate and inability to adapt to a changing world are neither here nor there. We're all travelling in the same boat.

Back
Top Bottom