What's new

Bad bachelor degree requires alternatives to the MEXT Scholarship?

Higashikata

Registered
5 Aug 2018
Hi, after looking carefully into the Monbukagakusho Scholarship system for a graduatee degree on the Japanese universities i got discouraged when i saw the information regarding the bachelors grades. Due to psychological issues from my house although i did get a bachelor my grades are kinda bad (ill receive it in september but i think my average grade is 52) and i am not sure if i can pass with that grade at all which is really sad because i still have a degree in the end. Are there any possible alternatives to this scholarship for Japan or even normal routes to enter a university there without requiring a high degree of bachelor? Even the fact that someone has a degree should at least count towards another method if not the Monbukagakusho.

Scholarships are merit based so they want the best students and a way to filter the applications is by using grades so there is nothing you can do about that.
A way to bypass the grades is to apply to a non high ranking university and pay the tuition yourself.

Scholarships are merit based so they want the best students and a way to filter the applications is by using grades so there is nothing you can do about that.
A way to bypass the grades is to apply to a non high ranking university and pay the tuition yourself.

Thanks for the response but can this normal proccess of applications also be completed through the embassy? Because i can't really do it all myself and i don't have people around me who have any idea of these stuff either. Also i checked some other scholarships than MEXT, like the Rotary one and they gave it to students with worse grades than me so maybe there might be some that dont pay a big attention to grades but even if there aren't i hope the embassy can still guide through the normal proccess

Last edited:
Also a last question, what about seeking an undergraduate scholarship as a graduate? Since my High School grades are good enough, some scholarships (not the MEXT) do not have the 22 years old age limit for undergraduates which might give people the option to get undergraduate scholarship even if they already have a bachelor? Another reason why i ask this is that my bachelor is not related to what i want to pursue for masters (i didnt have a choice to pick here) which gives another barrier to entry even with the normal route of paying tuition myself so maybe there is this way too, im asking this in the place of everyone who has this issues not just for me.

Have you tried looking for local government and/or private scholarships? JASSO has a TON of scholarship opportunities it collects and makes available in their brochure: JASSO

Definitely give that a good look and see if any of those apply. Apart from that, I know JASSO offers a scholarship for currently enrolled students in Japan (so you would have to be accepted and in Japan first), and the GPA requirement is 2.30.
The Monbukagakusho Honors Scholarship for Privately-Financed International Students - JASSO

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom