What's new

Butohkan performances in Kyoto

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Are any of our members residing in or visiting Kyoto ? We were offered two tickets for a performance at the Butohkan, a theatre space devoted to Butoh.

Butoh (舞踏 Butō) is a form of Japanese dance theatre that encompasses a diverse range of activities, techniques and motivations for dance, performance, or movement. Following World War II, butoh arose in 1959 through collaborations between its two key founders Hijikata Tatsumi and Ohno Kazuo. The art form is known to "resist fixity" and be difficult to define; notably, founder Hijikata Tatsumi viewed the formalisation of butoh with "distress". Common features of the art form include playful and grotesque imagery, taboo topics, extreme or absurd environments, and it is traditionally performed in white body makeup with slow hyper-controlled motion. However, with time butoh groups are increasingly being formed around the world, with their various aesthetic ideals and intentions.

Butoh - Wikipedia

Butohkan: 舞踏館 BUTOH-KAN

The only string attached is that you will have to write a review (blog or article) and publish it on JREF. Please reply to this thread if you are interested.

I think that is where I went with my father in-law a number of years ago. If it is the place it was certainly interesting. We saw a performance, I guess you could call it a play, that was very interesting. It was quite an experience. I would recommend it, though I do believe it was quite expensive.

Thanks @Petaris , I'd love to see the performance myself, but unfortunately we have no opportunity to go to Kyoto any time soon.

The Butohkan asked us to announce the opening of their third weekly performance, "Antigrativon, Lovely Face," a Butoh piece by Fukurozaka Yasuo.

If someone would be willing to visit their performance and write up a review for JREF, we can still provide you with a complimentary ticket.

Fukurozaka Yasuo "Antigraviton, Lovely Face" 袋坂ヤスオ『反重力子 花のかんばせ』 | Peatix

With a handmade Noh mask and a very distinctive expressive style that is highly praised, Butoh artist Fukurozaka Yasuo's new piece is definitely a performance to anticipate.

Performances will be every other Saturday at 6pm and 8pm, starting from September 9—if you are interested in a complimentary ticket, please email us here and we can reserve a spot for you.

Information is as below:

Performance by Fukurozaka Yasuo
Set design by Fukunishi Jiro
Mask created by Fukurozaka Yasuo
Running time: 45 minutes *Doors open 20min before curtain.
Price: General 3,800JPY Student 3,000JPY
*Student Discount—Students receive ¥800 refund at venue with i.d.

From elemental physics we know the concept of antimatter, where electrons are equivalent to positrons, and neutrons are equivalent to antineutrons. When matter and antimatter meet, they each spark brilliantly then vanish.

When thinking of electrons or positrons, I can picture a little "particle" in my head. However, when it comes to gravitons or antigravitons—the theoretical particles of gravity—I can't picture anything like this.

Something odd always appears if I try to materialize what transcends the limits of mental representation. This is even more the case when the body is involved. This particular oddness has no place in the world and only a fleeting [non]existence, and could even be said to be a form of "antimatter" itself.

If so, then isn't it [un]reasonable that its encounter with "matter" would yield a glinting beam of light?

[Fukurozaka Yasuo—from a drunken Journal entry]

Back
Top Bottom