What's new

culture::backside::yakuza

moyashi, the suspense is now killing me lolol,
you cant give me a sentence about implants then stop, haha:D

They make donations to relief funds!! ahhh, they must be quite soft at heart, but I understand they have a rep to protect, and this action proves that they are not all bad.👍

ok since you asked. An ex-girlfriend mentioned that they like inserting pearls.

@donations
Yeah, it was quit interesting when I saw that. It wasn't really a relief fund but more direct. They gave out blankets and food stuff directly to victims of that earthquake.

@manners
At times, Yakuza are quite mindful of their manners especially when it comes to the elderly. I've seen them hold doors open and allow elderly go first quite a few times.

It's sad but it seems that the Yakuza maintain the code of old Japan much more than others in Japan. Not really knights in shinning armor but still they can be thought of as knights.

Ahhh, now that's a lovely sentiment,

you know, the last couple of posts have really made my outlook on the yakuza change some, from the vicious, riotous, out of control gang to a much nicer, simpler gang, with a bit of care in community life, so to speak, maybe there are the few who run madly around towns etc., but all gangs have that kind, the respect side that you spoke of has to be admired and acknowledged. However, this probably doesn't come with the tuff, maybe it's there because of maturity and the inner knowledge that one day they will be elderly and waiting in long lines for service and some young yakuza will be as polite, just out of manners of course. 🙂

As for the pearls:eek: lol,

The Yakuza, the modern samurai...
:D

Well, another aspect of their acticities is their relationship and cooperation with ultranationalist political groups, not so pleasant and benevolent.

Well, yeah business is strictly business and there is no farting around when it's time to make some clear cut above margin profit.

Yes, they uphold most of the Samurai sense of honor and duty to their [gumi] family. If you're not family well .... stay on your toes.

@ chinkasu

Tell us why you believe they are [2-bit punks]

coming from outside Japan, I have an interest in the yakuza. If you know something I don't, please tell, haha 🙂 🙂

I'll be looking forward to your post. 🙂

think of gang members in your home country. do you admire them? are they noble? or are they idiots who hide behind childish images of themselves as something more than the criminals they truly are?

a punk is a punk.

anyone with some $ can get a big tatoo and buy some bad suits. nothing admirable there.

Ahhh see what you mean.

Although here the gangs are slightly different, they cant be seen or spoken too, but there are routes to complain or be heard threw
also the gang members are a little more for the people than against them, (example) If a home is broken into by the so called unrulely boys,or just boys who have nothing to do but cause problems, then a gang could arrive at your door unanounced and ask if you require any assistance or If you have an idea of who might have carried out the burglary, if you push the issue, then all items that was taken are normally returned by a gang member and the affender is punished severly.

@ home-service
Now, that is a system that probably works.

Yeah, the Yakuza are mostly thugs but the belong in the mafia family class of gangs while the gang-bangers in the states ... ugh ... don't come near the class of a family based organization.

Heheh, very true. The common gang here in the US do not come close to matching the complexities and such of mafia, or such. This could possibly show the lack of cultural depth of the US compared to many other nationalities. (may)

very true, cultural depth has a lot to do with it 👏

and maybe in time when such gangs as yakuza ect, when matured and respected for some good deeds,(as earthquake victims etc.) will at some time in the future be FOR the people and NOT against them, however, this is extremely difficult to achieve. It's only the higher ranking members who can enforce a code of conduct and themselves live by the rules:

@rules,
such as anti-drugs, and with this could come amnesty for the members if in the past has taken (or whatever they do with them) to come clean and admit having such bad habits. Still, now this habit must be given up to remain a member, and if in future to be found in possession of these drugs they will get punished and even banished from their home town for a length of time deemed only by the boss (so to speak):emoji_astonished:

but from what I know about the yakuza(which is only what's on these pages, hehe), they are a long way from a code of practice or conduct that I have mentioned, and this is only one practice from thousands that could be implemented if the yakuza are to be taken seriously by the people, which brings me to a question that I haven't yet asked, how long have the yakuza been a part of Japanese life?:emoji_confused:

hmmm just an off hand guess but at least 300 years.

I'd put them being 2 bit thugs and gamblers before Tokugawa Ieyasu unified Japan (well, he's given credit that is). Much Before that I don't know.

They somewhere along the line picked up an honor code and what not. It's a shame that don't push their code harder like Debs suggested.

Sometimes codes of practice can work against you, and the yakuza at the minute don't have an army. They have different units, and the units are easier to control than an entire army spread all over the country, all-knowing what each other has to do. A way of dealing with unruly young adults, suppose you heard of the famous punishment beaten, that's against their own people who have been to say the least a bit naughty, and the gang brings outside members in to carry out these punishments, so they are not emotionally involved or related to the recipients of such an act, so no mercy is shown, is this a price worth paying to have an exclusive gang at your doorstep and the face of the members you never see??:confused:

sorry, I made it sound so nice in my last post just thought I should show the flip side,🙂

the yakuza are not so bad after all, in my opinion.

Originally posted by deborah gormley
the yakuza are not so bad after all in my opinion.
Yes, they really have manners

=> newsonjapan.com/cgibin/news/link.cgi?ID=18489

[Forgive me my sarcasm] :emoji_bow:

a little more insight has made me have a change of heart

they appear to be just as crazed as our own gangs, never admitting responsibility, never taking the whole blame and never letting their own side down, apity🙂

Well, they come in all kinds and shapes, but they are certainly no Robin Hoods.

Their stepping in during the Kobe earthquake for instance actually showed the sad state public Japan was/is in. They were just filling gaps.
:eek:

True they're not Robin Hoods are very rude and harsh when it comes to business and the underworld.

I was just hoping to write about some of the more unknown points about the Yakuza, since there are so many places to read up about them.

The difficulty of finding recruits

Another waiwai story on yakuza recruits:

Comfy times create dearth of yakuza young guns

=> mdn.mainichi.co.jp/waiwai/0206/020629guns.html

not so comfy then!!!:eek:

as with all gangs I've ever heard of or encountered, the reality is much different and harsher than ever imagined by the young hopeful, well these gangs must entice the youth of today if only to survive, and keep numbers up!!🙂

I have read nearly every post,very interesting yes!
the shots of the yakuzas was really cool!
I think at the end it is not so different from italian Mafia...
really not a lot,now the situation inside italian mafia is not clear to me of course,but i know also italian Mafia has a father-child organization:
the boss is the "Padrino"means who take care of you like a father for the life,the padrino in our culture is also who is the witness to the baptism of the baby in our religios habits.
the gang mambers are called "Picciotti",that means kids.
everymen belonging to Mafia is called man of honor coz it is supposed he follow a strict code of behaviour.
At the end Mafia is a bunch of bad people leading dirty infamous buisnesses in collusion with gov and police,like in japan...

As long as mafia gangs adhere to their own codes of honour their actions can be foreseen and somehow controlled. I could imagine (as described in some of the artciles above) that these codes are more and more disrespected and questioned by younger members. Like that things could easily get out of hand.

At the end Mafia is a bunch of bad people leading dirty infamous buisnesses in collusion with gov and police,like in japan...
I agree with you, Mattanza, but they are a social fact wherever you are.

Not yet, I'm waiting for Beat Takeshi's movie to come on TV.

I just saw Black Rain again on TV starring Kirk Douglas (sempai) and Andy Garcia.
Interesting that not all of Japanese was translated in English. Obviously, becuase they bad mouthed the Americans pretty nicely. I remember watching it in the states at the movie theater with a few Japanese study abroad students, we all weren't too happy afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom