What's new

Do you prefer tatami mats or regular flooring?

SaikyoJoe

Kouhai
4 Mar 2017
I just can not seem to get adjusted to the "no seats, no legs" decor of olden stylized japanese houses. Tatami mats are great but you have to be very careful not to spill any fluids onto or near to it.

Also my legs are pretty tired from sitting on the floor. I never imagined such a lifestyle.
Good thing is everything is clean, and spacious.

On the flipside it looks a little barren.

What do you think are some of the drawbacks/ positive things about new and old housing/styles?

We had three tatami rooms in our old house. I used to enjoy the smell of tatami as well as the occasional afternoon nap on the mats, but for the reasons Glenski pointed out those rooms wouldn't really serve any meaningful purpose. Our new house has regular flooring, and honestly, we haven't been missing tatami at all.

I like the idea of having 1 or 2 tatami rooms, rather than a whole house. I think having tatami floors also calls for the rest of the room to also be built with traditional architecture though, to elevate the feel and energy of the room to its highest potential.

From what I understand they're extremely expensive to have built in the US though, so for now I'll have to wait for my dream home :)

You could try buying one of those legless floor chairs to help deal with the sore legs. I agree tatami are not practical for modern lifestyles but I really like them on occasion such as at a ryokan.

I have never used tatami. But I think it will useful for everyone. Cool in summer, warm in winter:joyful::joyful:

Back
Top Bottom