Getting out of 1 year apartment lease

Discussion in 'Serious Discussions' started by derekhhh, Jan 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. derekhhh

derekhhh 後輩

Hi there,

I signed a lease agreement and was told that even if I break it, I have to keep paying rent for 1 year. Really strange. But they didn't tell me of some rules (it's a sharedhouse), like how I can't invite friends over for example. Now I'd like to move and they said I would still have to pay every month even if I'm not there. Does anyone have any information on this?

Thanks

2. Mike Cash

Mike Cash 骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう

We haven't read your lease.

Did you read it before you signed it?

Have you consulted with your friend's shyster lawyer?

3. OoTmaster

OoTmaster 先輩

I got out of my lease early here in the US. And at least here if you've signed a lease you have to pay off the remaining months even if you won't be living there. I would expect if it's stated in your lease that you're going to have to pay for that time either way.

4. I think that in most states in the US a landlord would have a duty to mitigate damages by trying to find another tenant. Also, there are landlord-tenant acts in most states that may limit a landlord's damages for breaking the lease.

I have no idea whether Japan has landlord-tenant laws, but if not the lease agreement probably controls.