What's new

Graduate admission without letter of recommendation?

vu7

後輩
18 Sep 2018
Hi there! I have been desperately trying to apply for graduate school in Japan as I am scheduled to graduate from my bachelor's degree this winter. Could you please help me find any Japanese higher ed institution that does not require a letter of recommendation? Many of these schools require a ridiculous 2 letters of recommendation where you have to use their specific form and there's no way I can ask my instructors for like 20 letters of recommendation. Could you please help me find all or any Japanese graduate schools without requiring letters of recommendation upon admission? Also probably no private institutions as they charge a ridiculous amount of tuition. All I can accept is around 700000yen a year.

Letters of recommendation are pretty much the norm here, and I suspect everywhere else in the world when it comes to accepting foreign students.

Why can't you ask teachers or advisors for a letter of recommendation?
Is it 2 or 20? I find it extremely hard to believe you need 20. Typo?

If you want help in finding a uni, please tell us your proposed major or field.

Calling things ridiculous before you even set foot here sets a bad precedent. You sound bitter. Why are you even thinking about coming here? Have you been here before.

Letters of recommendation are pretty much the norm here, and I suspect everywhere else in the world when it comes to accepting foreign students.

Why can't you ask teachers or advisors for a letter of recommendation?
Is it 2 or 20? I find it extremely hard to believe you need 20. Typo?

If you want help in finding a uni, please tell us your proposed major or field.

Calling things ridiculous before you even set foot here sets a bad precedent. You sound bitter. Why are you even thinking about coming here? Have you been here before.
The websites of many Japanese university graduate schools are extremely confusing to navigate through. I just mean that if I apply for 10 Japanese institutions, I will need 20 recommendation letters and each of them has to be individually composed on their designated forms and be "sealed" by the author. Also each institution will require a 30000 yen application fee, which is really expensive comparing to around 20-75 here in the US.

The obvious solution is to apply for fewer.

Are there really that many universities here that cater to your field and have potential advisors whose research interests are similar to yours? I wouldn't think so.

What is your proposed major/field?

Application fees for foreign grad students in the U.S. vary by school and fields.
Univ of MN $95
Univ of CA $80
Univ of IL $90
Univ of AZ $95
NYU $150
Univ of TX Austin $90-$200

Also, do you plan to take courses in Japanese or English? What is your level of Japanese ability?

Back
Top Bottom