What's new

Grammar questions

Amylg05

Registered
4 Mar 2017
Hello everyone,

I have a few queries I was hoping you can help me with. These are example sentences from Anki flash cards that had some things I was a little unsure about - I am sure these are things I should know but, I dont ^-^. Sorry for writing in Romaji! ._.

1. Watashi wa e wo miru no ga suki desu (I like looking at pictures)
(What is the purpose of the no here?)

2. Kare wa mai ban san kiro hashiteimasu (Every night he runs 3 kilometres)
(Curious why there is no 'wo' particle before hashiteimasu?)

I might post more questions here in the future if that is ok?

Thank you :)

1)
It's a nominalizer, changing a verb into a noun just like gerund in English (look --> looking).

2)
typo: hashitteimasu
"3kiro" is not the location of transfer. It's just not mentioned in that sentence (e.g. dōro wo 3kiro hashitteimasu). However, "3kiro wo hashiru" is also used. In this case, "3kiro" often refers to a purpose or represents a location of 3 kilometers length.

I might post more questions here in the future if that is ok?
Sure.

1)
It's a nominalizer, changing a verb into a noun just like gerund in English (look --> looking).

2)
typo: hashitteimasu
"3kiro" is not the location of transfer. It's just not mentioned in that sentence (e.g. dōro wo 3kiro hashitteimasu). However, "3kiro wo hashiru" is also used. In this case, "3kiro" often refers to a purpose or represents a location of 3 kilometers length.

Sure.
Thank you very much :)

Hello! Please could someone explain to me the purpose of the の after 出身 in the attached screenshot - it's taken from Memrise for anyone wondering!

Thank you ^-^

Attachments

• IMG_5479.jpg
    IMG_5479.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 156
It is attributice and the sentence is ambiguously weirded. It could equally as well mean the speaker is from Japan, not the friend.

大卒の友達 my friend, who is a college graduate

同級生の田中 my classmate, Tanaka

Hello! Please could someone explain to me the purpose of the の after 出身 in the attached screenshot - it's taken from Memrise for anyone wondering!

Thank you ^-^
Refer to the following thread.
Translation from a manga | Japan Forum

In your example, 日本出身 (or Mike-san's 大卒 and 同級生) is an attribute of 友達 (友達 and 田中).

友達は日本出身だ/である
友達は大卒だ/である
田中は同級生だ/である

Also, note that it's possible to interpret 日本出身の modifies 私, not 友達, in your example. See the following thread.
chaining na-adjectives | Japan Forum

Thank you! I think I kind of get it...its strange because it makes sense to me if I only think of it in Japanese but when I try to look at it in terms of how it matches to English it makes no sense! I need to really get over trying to match the Japanese to English >_<

Hello! I haven't posted on here for a while but I was wondering if someone could please explain the usage of the "no" particle in this sentence? It is taken from an Anki deck. I can kiiiind of understand its use but I wanted to be sure since its been bugging me for a while! Thank you :)

---> 彼は走るのが速い

The same as the の in your first question in your first post. It changes the preceding verb into a noun. That is what is meant by "nominalizer".

Back
Top Bottom