What's new

Grammar

Are ~なんか and ~なんて the same? In the meaning "things like". Do they have different level of politeness or something?

are で(は)なく~(も)and で(は)なくて~(も)same?
Are (は),(も), and て are optional in it?
Do these sentences change if I remove て, も, or は?
日本語と英語は、文法でなく、考え方ずいぶんちがうらしい。
あの人は頭がいいだけでなく、よく勉強します。
Can I rephrase
このうちはきれいなだけではなくとてもやすいです。
as
このうちはきれいなだけではなくとてもやすいでもあります。
if I want to add も according to the pattern?

Last edited:
Clip2net
I can't understand what kind of exclusiveness does it talk about. Doesn't だけ is used to describe exclusiveness already?

It is talking about a change in nuance when だけ is used in combination with a particle.

XXX にだけ
XXX だけに

The first implies "exclusively XXX" and the second emphasizes "especially XXX (but not exclusively XXX).

It is talking about a change in nuance when だけ is used in combination with a particle.

XXX にだけ
XXX だけに

The first implies "exclusively XXX" and the second emphasizes "especially XXX (but not exclusively XXX).
Could you please give an example?

Tell me and no one else except me.
I did ask right.
There are variants of first sentence.
だけに話してください。What does this one mean, what the difference with another one?
にだけ話してください。This one means "Tell only to me (and no one else)", right?
The first one must not have exclusiveness, so I don't know if I get it.

Are ~なんか and ~なんて the same? In the meaning "things like". Do they have different level of politeness or something?
なんか is only used for nouns or "noun + a certain particle". なんて also can be associated with verbs/clauses. なんか always has a negative nuance, but なんて can be used also for positive nuance.

こんな難しい問題なんか/なんてわかるわけがない。
(問題 is a noun, negative nuance)

あいつとなんか/なんて行かない。
(noun + particle, negative nuance)

こんな難しい問題が解けるなんてすごいですね。
(こんな難しい問題が解ける is a clause, and this sentence has a positive nuance (praise), so なんか can't be used here.)

are で(は)なく~(も)and で(は)なくて~(も)same?
Are (は),(も), and て are optional in it?
Do these sentences change if I remove て, も, or は?
日本語と英語は、文法でなく、考え方ずいぶんちがうらしい。
あの人は頭がいいだけでなく、よく勉強します。
Can I rephrase
このうちはきれいなだけではなくとてもやすいです。
as
このうちはきれいなだけではなくとてもやすいでもあります。
if I want to add も according to the pattern?
は and て are optional. も is necessary for nouns, but it can be omitted for adjectives. ~もある is more common also for adjectives, though.
Note that でなくて is rarely used, unlike the rest three; ではなくて, ではなく and でなく.

日本語と英語は、文法だけで(は)なく(て)、考え方もずいぶん違うらしい。
あの人は頭がいいだけで(は)なく(て)、よく勉強もします。
(考え方 and 勉強 are both nouns, so も is necessary.)

この家はきれいなだけで(は)なく(て)とても安いです。
この家はきれいなだけで(は)なく(て)とても安くもあります。

Yes, there are, but I didn't understand them at first.
A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar (Nakama authors).pdf - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC
I can see difference in the second sentence now, but I still don't understand first one probably.
What does 僕だけに話してください。mean?
I can't agree with the explanation you provided. It differs depending on the context.
僕にだけ話してください。 and 僕だけに話してください。 are almost (or more likely completely) the same in meaning.
Indeed この車はアルコールでだけ動きます。 has "exclusiveness" as in the given translation, but another expression ~しか…ない(この車はアルコールでしか動きません。) is more commonly used for this meaning. Besides, it's possible to interpret that この車はアルコールだけで動きます。 means "on alcohol(and not on nothing else)" as same as アルコールでだけ. Furthermore, there is no difference between この魚はこの湖でだけ取れます and この魚はこの湖だけで取れます, but この網でだけ and この網だけで has a similar difference between アルコールでだけ and アルコールだけで.
I have to point out the explanation is not incorrect, but too much simplified.

試験中、となりの人に答えを見ているところを先生に注意された。
楽しみにしていたテレビドラマが始まったところで電話が鳴った。
ケーキができ上がったところへ子どもたちが帰ってきた。
Depending on the verb that follows ~ところ, the end-particle varies, as follows: ところを, ところで, とこれへ.

How do I know when is what (ところを, ところで, とこれへ)?

typos
となりの人答え
ところを, ところで, とこへ.

How and when do you use those particles を, で and へ, or also other ones が, に, と, の, や, から, まで, and so on?

typos
となりの人答え
ところを, ところで, とこへ.

How and when do you use those particles を, で and へ, or also other ones が, に, と, の, や, から, まで, and so on?
I don't know about other particles, from what I see it's said after verb + ところ particles を, で, and へ may follow, but that depends on the verb that follows after it. How do I know when I say "verb ところを verb", when "verb ところで verb", and when "verb ところへ verb".
For example, why not 楽しみにしていたテレビドラマが始まったところに電話が鳴った。but 楽しみにしていたテレビドラマが始まったところで電話が鳴った。?
I kinda guess that 注意する takes the particle を to indicate what he was warned about and 来る took へ to indicate destination, but I'd suppose 電話がなった would take に to indicate time when it happened. But I'm not sure how does the dependency actually works.

Last edited:
Also, there are some kanji/parts/radicals that display differently on different fonts or whether it's computer or phone, etc. For example, 蛸 is like this and this. 噂 is like this and this. and . and .
Does it matter which way I write them?

I don't know about other particles, from what I see it's said after verb + ところ particles を, で, and へ may follow, but that depends on the verb that follows after it. How do I know when I say "verb ところを verb", when "verb ところで verb", and when "verb ところへ verb".
For example, why not 楽しみにしていたテレビドラマが始まったところに電話が鳴った。but 楽しみにしていたテレビドラマが始まったところで電話が鳴った。?
I kinda guess that 注意する takes the particle を to indicate what he was warned about and 来る took へ to indicate destination, but I'd suppose 電話がなった would take に to indicate time when it happened. But I'm not sure how does the dependency actually works.
You almost got the answer. ところ more likely refers to a situation/scene rather than a temporal point like "when". ところ means "place" in the first place, right? You can think that で is used to indicate the location of action as same as usual usages of で without ところ. Thus, in your examples, ケーキができ上がったところで子どもたちが帰ってきた is also valid, but テレビドラマが始まったところに電話が鳴った is not, since 電話が鳴った doesn't have the direction of action. If it means "when a TV drama started", テレビドラマが始まったときに is used. This rule also applies to other particles I listed in my previous post.

Also, there are some kanji/parts/radicals that display differently on different fonts or whether it's computer or phone, etc. For example, 蛸 is like this and this. 噂 is like this and this. and . and .
Does it matter which way I write them?
The following posts would be helpful.
The Kanji Appreciation Thread | Page 7 | Japan Forum

And here is a list of kanji that could be displayed differently on PC or cellphone screens depending on the OS or font set. The ones in the list is the correct form, but there would be no problem if you write another form, as I said in the thread linked above.
JIS X 0213:2004における例示字形の変更について | 漢字の正しい書き順(筆順)

You almost got the answer. ところ more likely refers to a situation/scene rather than a temporal point like "when". ところ means "place" in the first place, right? You can think that で is used to indicate the location of action as same as usual usages of で without ところ. Thus, in your examples, ケーキができ上がったところで子どもたちが帰ってきた is also valid, but テレビドラマが始まったところに電話が鳴った is not, since 電話が鳴った doesn't have the direction of action. If it means "when a TV drama started", テレビドラマが始まったときに is used. This rule also applies to other particles I listed in my previous post.
ケーキができ上がったところで子どもたちが帰ってきた。
What does で帰る mean? How does it translate?
So I should treat ところ here as place, but it translates as "My phone rang when ... had just started". And I can use other particles like に, まで, から and so on with "verb + ところ". Is it right?

The following posts would be helpful.

And here is a list of kanji that could be displayed differently on PC or cellphone screens depending on the OS or font set. The ones in the list is the correct form, but there would be no problem if you write another form, as I said in the thread linked above.
JIS X 0213:2004における例示字形の変更について | 漢字の正しい書き順(筆順)
There's is a table with pairs of kanji, what does it mean?
I couldn't find the line where you said it's okay it would be no problem if one writes another form. Do you mean hanzi by another form and/or I can write either way from the three pairs I asked earlier?

Last edited:
What does で帰る mean? How does it translate?
So I should treat ところ here as place, but it translates as "My phone rang when ... had just started".
As I wrote, ところ refers to a situation/scene in this expression, so it means that the children came home at/in the situation/scene the cake was just baked, and as a result, it's almost the same as "when the cake was just baked" in meaning.

And I can use other particles like に, まで, から and so on with "verb + ところ". Is it right?
Yes, but notice that, unlike を, で or に/へ, ところ usually refers to a real location/place with those particles, not situation, so it doesn't mean "when".
e.g.
彼は彼女が立っているところから走り去った。
He ran away from where she was standing (not "when she was standing").

Also note that ところ can be "place/where" even with を, で or に/へ depending on the context.
e.g.
庭があったところに家を建てた。
I built my house where a garden had existed (not "when").

There's is a table with pairs of kanji, what does it mean?
The kanji on the left side of the arrow are the ones in the old JIS standard, and the right ones are the correct ones.

I couldn't find the line where you said it's okay it would be no problem if one writes another form.
I wouldn't feel strange if I see the font used in Japanese documents.

Do you mean hanzi by another form and/or I can write either way from the three pairs I asked earlier?
Not all of them are hanzi. They are just another forms of kanji. In fact, they are accepted as 俗字; a non-standard-but-actually-used form of kanji.

As I wrote, ところ refers to a situation/scene in this expression, so it means that the children came home at/in the situation/scene the cake was just baked, and as a result, it's almost the same as "when the cake was just baked" in meaning.

Yes, but notice that, unlike を, で or に/へ, ところ usually refers to a real location/place with those particles, not situation, so it doesn't mean "when".
e.g.
彼は彼女が立っているところから走り去った。
He ran away from where she was standing (not "when she was standing").

Also note that ところ can be "place/where" even with を, で or に/へ depending on the context.
e.g.
庭があったところに家を建てた。
I built my house where a garden had existed (not "when").

The kanji on the left side of the arrow are the ones in the old JIS standard, and the right ones are the correct ones.

I wouldn't feel strange if I see the font used in Japanese documents.

Not all of them are hanzi. They are just another forms of kanji. In fact, they are accepted as 俗字; a non-standard-but-actually-used form of kanji.
I see. Thanks.
Do I get this sentence right?
交番で教えてもらったとおりに歩いていったので、迷わず会場に着いた。
I went according to directions given at police box and (because of that) arrived at the venue without getting lost.
Can I substitute 迷わず with 迷わないで?

Yes and yes. You can also use 迷わずに, 迷うことなく, 迷いもせず or 迷いもせずに.

反面
~, but on the other hand...
Used to present both side of a proposition.

都会の生活は面白いことが多い反面、ストレスも多い。
一人旅は気楽な反面、何でも一人でやらなければならないので、不便だ。
仕事を辞めて自由な時間が増えた反面、緊張感もなくなってしまった。
Is it used to express good and bad side to something? The last example seems to indicate positive things in both clauses.
Is there much difference between 反面 and 一方. It's said in the book they're more or less the same.
Do I get these right:
会議では自分の意見を言う一方で、ほかの人の話もよく聞いてください。
At the meeting you can say you opinion, but at the same time please listen to others.
教授は新しい研究に取り組む一方で、しっかり学生の世話もしなければならない。
The professor tackles new research, but at the same time he has to properly help his students.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom