Having trouble translating a manga

Discussion in 'Translations' started by Eristy, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Eristy

Eristy Kouhai

Hi,
    I'm having trouble translating the wordトラブってる. Does it mean to be in trouble or to cause trouble or perhaps something different? It's not used in a sentence, just with a questionmark at the end (as seen in the picture), so I can't figure it out. Could someone please help?
    hag14_01.jpg

2. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 禁漁期
    Staff Member Moderator

It's the first one; "Are you in trouble?".

3. Eristy

Eristy Kouhai

Hi, I have another question. I have a problem translating this sentence:
    本当に自分の父親とは思えないくらいのタイミングの良さである。
    The person who is saying this is the that boy, Kodaka. His father just called him out of the blue while the boy was having a hard time.
    I think that sentence means "It's hard to believe that as my father his timing would be so good" (implying Kodaka's timing is bad) more or less. But from that sentence it seems to me as if Kodaka was talking about the timing thing as a skill, not as just something that happened to be right. Is my translation more or less okay? Is タイミング in japanese more like a someone's skill or just something happening in a good or bad time?

Attached Files:

• 054.jpg
      054.jpg
      File size:
      433.9 KB
      Views:
  4. Eristy

Eristy Kouhai

Thank you, Toritoribe!

5. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 禁漁期
    Staff Member Moderator

タイミング is "timing", not a skill also in Japanese.

6. Eristy

Eristy Kouhai

Hi, I have two questions. Could anyone help?

1. Could you help me with translating 真っ当な価値基準?Context below.
    061.jpg
    2. I also have this phrase to translate and it's actually out of context. The two girls who are talking to each other are members of Student Council. One has to clean up some boxes and the other one (she's the president of the Student Council) bumped into her and decided to help her. Then the president says ”よしそれではさっさと[...]" and then the other girl replies ”抜けだしたのばれたらまた副会長に怒られますよ..." Firstly, does that other girl say that the vice-president will be mad at both of them or just the president? Secondly, do you have any idea what the 抜け出す might refer to here? Skipping some meeting? Leaving the Student Council room? And lastly, do you have any idea why it's funny? I just don't get the meaning of that whole scene...
    084.jpg

7. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 禁漁期
    Staff Member Moderator

真っ当 means 普通 there.

The latter.

If her schedule didn't mentioned previously, both are possible. I think it doesn't much matter which interpretation is correct. The point of their conversation is to show the president's (and vice-president's) character and the relationship between them.

She doesn't think it's funny. She is laughing away the coming troubles (= vice-president's angry). Most likely she is just acting strong, though. (強がっているだけ makes sense?)

8. Eristy

Eristy Kouhai

It does make sense now. Thank you, Toritoribe for helping me understand it!