What's new

Help translating a bit of text

mkanke

後輩
19 Jul 2011
Hello besides being new here I'm in need of some assistance. Linked are scans of the front and back of what I believe to be the 'Manga Rating' card that came in my monthly 電撃大王.

While I have been able to make out quite a bit of the front (Name, address, county, phone #, etc) the big space on the front and most all of the back is a bit over my head as of now :p.

If there's someone out their with a bit of time and wanting something to practice on, please give it a look over and help me out if you can :)

Heres the link to the files for viewing online, copying then pasting into the URL bar should work :)

postal-address.jpg

EDIT: Also to where should I address this to send it to the company, I'm not very familiar with the Japanese postal system...

The space on the front is for your feedback about the magazine, and they requires to fill in the questionnaires in the back.

The return address is already printed on the card, but you need to put a 50 yen stamp on it.

The space on the front is for your feedback about the magazine, and they requires to fill in the questionnaires in the back.
The return address is already printed on the card, but you need to put a 50 yen stamp on it.

Ok thank you for the info on the front and where to send it too (I'll have to start filling it out when I get the chance). Would you have any idea what the numbered section at the bottom says, most specifically #4. I have a feeling that 3rd kanji in it isn't a standard kanji...

Those are all magazine titles. They ask to check the ones you always read. And yes, the third kanji in #4 is the special one for the magazine title. I'm sure that that's an equivalent to 魔.(マ in ma-dare is the reading for 魔.)

Oh ok, that makes alot more sense now thanks so much for your help! I'll keep using this topic if I run into any more hold ups though :)

I glanced at this out of interest and was curious about the address, as basically there doesn't seem to be one, just the name of the company and the relevant department? How does the postal service know where to deliver it? Is the whole postal address encoded in that 102-8584 number or something?

Also, I couldn't figure out 「2011年8月号プレゼント」係行. I understand it's something about the August 2011 edition, but beyond that what does it mean?

The Japanese postal code usually indicates just the area, for instance, 102-0071 for 東京都千代田区富士見. However, large companies/organizations like publishers have thier own postal codes to save customers from writing out the addresses each time. 102-8584 is exactly the one for ASCII Media Works, Inc., thus, this code means 東京都千代田区富士見1-8-19 角川第3本社ビル 株式会社アスキー・メディアワークス, as you guessed.

「2011年8月号プレゼント」係 means the section to receive the application for presents in the August 2011 edition, and 行 is a humble title for thier return address.
This is a bit off topic, but applicants are required to draw two diagonal lines on 行 and write the correct honorific 御中 beside it as a Japanese business custom.

Thank you. Thinking about it, of course, we do have a similar practice in the UK where large organisations can have their own postcode, though this is always used in conjunction with a town or city (at least, I've never seen otherwise, even though the city is actually also encoded in the postcode), so you might see an address like "Big Organisation, London, XX00 0XX."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom