What's new

Hikaru Utada

Well, at least you tried, Dell. That's good enough.

But her CD hasn't been doing that well in the States, has it? I wonder what she's going to do to promote herself next.

No Dogen her cd is not doing that great here in the states, the first month it did very good on I-tunes but it is slowly fading...I don't know who does her marketing but they did not do a very good job. Most of her promos were done early in the mornings, the market she is going for does not watch tv at that time of the day. She needed to come out more on MTV, VH1 and some of the late night shows like The Tonight Show now that Conan is the host. The turn out on the promos she did were ok but they would have been better at a later time in the day time.

Another problem with her promos were that she only went to major cities and ignored for example the southern part of the states, she did California I don't know how many times and then New York many times to. Her cd will probably do as good as her last one here in the states...too bad, it could have done much better...

If Boa does her promos the same way she to will not be successful here in the states...

I think BoA will stick it out and see how far she can go, because that's her style. I don't know if that is Hikky's style, because she seems to be a little more of a maverick (IMO)--part of being a talented artist. I think her marketing efforts to date reflect this--it wasn't polished at all.

But I'm sure she'll bounce back and do something great. :)

I don't know for how long she will be here in the states but if her marketing doesn't include traveling more states her cd will not market as good as she hoped...this is a huge country so her marketing has to be huge to. I wonder how much input she has on decisions about her marketing, I hope it gets better for her...

Just picked up her new cd today. Much better than the last one. She was very classy in the Come Back to Me video. The best part is the bonus tracks (been wanting a copy of Sanctuary since I first heard it).

Speaking of Utada Hikaru, I actually heard her on the radio here in DAR ES SALAAM yesterday! It was an old song, "It's Automatic", but amazing to me that here stuff was on the radio here. The cab driver didn't even identify it as a Japanese song.

"It's Automatic" is one of my favorites, I love her music and I always find myself going back and watching her Bohemian Summer 2000 dvd...it's probably her most up beat concert. It would be an awesome experience to see her live in concert but it would have to be in Japan, anyone know if she is going to do a concert soon?

I haven't heard anything about her doing a concert, but I hope we does one soon. Does Bohemian Summer have some of her english songs?

2nd Karaoke Contest Winner

Alright, Zuntata was the 1st winner of Hikki's karaoke contest, but she won because of her creativity not her singing.

This is a video of the 2nd winner at Hikki's karaoke party in Tokyo. She sings well with a kind of country-western flair. And Hikki sang back-up for her!! 😎

[youtube]pHh8ivIr8sA [/youtube]

I have to say Dogen that I think I did a better job....lol....she does sing pretty good but I saw some others that I think did a better job, but congrats to her on winning second place and getting to meet Hikki!!!!:p

Collaboration w/ Ne Yo

Not to be outdone by Boa's collaboration with Akon (see the "BoA" thread), Hikkie is doing a collaboration with Ne Yo, which will be released this autumn. According to Oricon, it'll be a duet of Ne Yo's song, "Do You."

Looking forward to it. :)

Keeping this thread active, I'm posting these. (She should hire me as her promotion manager! :p )

A recording of Minnie Ripperton's Lovin' You that she must have done at a radio station. Lot of great casual photos of Hikki!)

Lovin' You
[youtube]Op1BSesFoNY&NR=1[/youtube]

A recent, very casual interview in Hawaii

Interview in Hawaii

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Dogen I haven't asked you before if you have seen Hikki live in concert before, I hope you have that way I can tell people I know someone who saw her live....lol....do you know if she is back home in Japan yet, I haven't seen anything new about her lately?

I wish I had seen her live - especially at her last concert in Japan. It was a few years ago, and she performed this awesome number - Hikari Live.

If any of you haven't seen this yet, double click it and turn it on to full screen-HQ, then crank up the volume. You are in for a real treat.

That's an awesome clip Dogen, I'm still in the process of learning Japanese and don't know alot of the words to her songs unless they are subbed in English but I have to say that Hikki has the most beautiful and sexiest voices of any singer I have ever heard. Dogen, she probably will do a concert soon...so if you go please take lots of pictures and post them please. I'm surprised you haven't seen her in concert living so close to her...

Hey!
Just letting Utada fans know that a petition has been started.
This petition is for promotion of "This is the One" to be resumed and a for a tour in modest sized but well known venues.

Here is the petition sign if interested and help spread the word to other Utada fans

h t t p : / / w w w . gopetition . com / online / 30096 . h t m l

Sorry I can't post urls atm cuz I don't have enough post...just delete the extra spaces.
If someone can post the link that would be great.

I hope there are a lot of Utada fans that come and show their support ^____^

I like your enthusiasm, Aquatic, but I think petitions are more effective for political issues, especially local issues. Since the Internet is so diffuse, it's hard for the studio to determine where the market is. It would be much more effective to get people in your area to buy her CD. If enough are sold, then maybe...

Well, I noticed that the Hikari Live vid posted above has been deleted. So sad. So I'm posting another vid, one that's more in keeping with this autumn season. This vid has Englihs subtitles so you'll know what she's singing about. It's one of her all-time hits, The Flavor of Life.

So now that her marketing of her new cd is done has anyone heard of any plans of a live concert, I can only rely on you guys and YouTube for any info on what her plans are....

Dell, I haven't heard anything about her lately. She might be trying to figure out which direction she wants to go next. The biggest thing I know that's happening in Tokyo is a Beyonce concert and its sold out.

Well, not interested in Beyonce , you know as I listen to Hikki's music I can't help going back to her Bohemian Summer Tour...I think that's my favorite concert of hers, her voice and those three dancers made an awesome show...always wondered why she didn't use them again. I imagine she is always planning what to do next, hopefully it's a new tour with alot of her old songs....

Ohhh, love the song "The flavor of love" , the first female song I've heard that doesn't feel like you've chewed chewing gum too long (= shallow and without taste) ... this will also be rewarded as the first female song on JRef/Jrock MySpasce support page song this week ...

Please consider First Love for your my space, that is truly a awesome song...I don't know where I heard it first but when I searched for it was how I found Hikki and the rest is history. I have listened to many JPop singers and she is the only one that I feel is the best, amazing voice and talent....

Hikki's U.S. Tour

So now that her marketing of her new cd is done has anyone heard of any plans of a live concert, I can only rely on you guys and YouTube for any info on what her plans are....

I hope you've been following her website. She's going to do a U.S. Tour and will be performing in 8 cities including Vegas, practically a stone's throw away from you. Online reservation available.

http://www.utada.com/news/default.aspx?nid=5679

Last edited:
Dogen, you are the man...I have been so busy with my computer business the last few months that I have not kept up with Hikki and what she is doing. I will be in Las Vegas to see her, I have to be one of the first ones to buy the tickets so I can be close enough to see her...this is just awesome!!!!! I can't believe I am finally going to see her live....:) :) :).....thank you Dogen for the info, if it wasn't for your post I might not have known she was going to do a tour in the states. I owe you buddy....🙂

Update: Just bought tickets, $60.00 for two tickets, can you believe that. Flight and hotel are done to...thanks again Dogen

Back
Top Bottom