Featured How to say "It was an amazing experience"

Discussion in 'Learning Japanese' started by GenjiMain, Oct 9, 2018.

1. GenjiMain

GenjiMain Kouhai

Hi guys,

I want to say the phrase "I went to Japan and it was an amazing experience". I think the first part would be 日本に言って right? The second part I'm not sure; I don't have the vocabulary or the finesse to do the phrase justice. I don't want it to sound like the phrase of a 5 year old, like "I went to Japan and had fun" (日本にいって、楽しかったです). If someone could help me I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

2. Julie.chan

Julie.chan 後輩

I think you probably want 行く, not 言う. :emoji_wink:

I'm not very good at Japanese, but I would say something like this, I think:

日本に行くのが楽しかったです。

I'm sure someone will correct me if I made a mistake in that sentence.

3. Majestic

Majestic 先輩

日本に行きましたが、すごくよかったです。
    日本に行きましたが、とてもいい経験でした。
    とか・・・

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 禁漁期
    Staff Member Moderator

And
    日本に行ってきたんですが、素晴らしかったです。
    日本に行ったんですが、素晴らしいところでした。
    etc.

"Did something, and..." is not always translated as "~て、…" automatically. The translation varies deending on the context.
    As for tense, the present form 行く expresses a past habit/repeated action in 日本に行くのが楽しかったです.

5. mdchachi

mdchachi Moderator

What is the meaning of が in these examples? It sounds odd if I think in English.
    I went to Japan BUT it was awesome. As if this was contrary to expectations.
    I must be missing another usage/meaning of が.

6. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 禁漁期
    Staff Member Moderator

7. GenjiMain

GenjiMain Kouhai

Thanks a lot for your help everyone. I will definitely use one of the phrases above. I have one more question. This is all in aid of an online application to head over to Japan which will be recorded. However, I don't what time of the day it will be viewed and I would like to say a greeting/intro my name in Japanese. Is there a greeting synonymous with こんにちは/こんばんは that works regardless of the time, or would it be acceptable for me to simply say something like"こんにちは、John です" as a simple intro?

Not sure if I've sufficiently explained what I mean here but any help would be appreciated. Thanks :emoji_grinning:

8. mdchachi

mdchachi Moderator

I think こんにちは is perfectly acceptable. You don't have to take into account when the viewer will be listening. You can also say something like (本日)よろしくお願いします which is time-of-day neutral.

9. GenjiMain

GenjiMain Kouhai

I just realised I could use はじめまして *facepalm*.