What's new

FAQ Introduction to online forums for Facebook users

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
About online forums in general

You have been hearing about internet forums, but you are not quite sure what they are good for, how to use them, or why you would want to join one when you already have Facebook. Find a quick overview below.

In Facebook terms, a forum resembles a collection of maybe ten to several hundred related Facebook Groups, all with the same membership and under the same management. There are, however, important differences:

• History

Facebook is great for conversations spanning a few hours or a few days, but finding old posts on a particular topic is very inconvenient. In a forum, though, the whole history is easily available, organized by topic, and searchable. This makes forums a better choice when you want to access (and contribute to) an archive of information.
  • Long-term discussions

Forums are also great for conversations spanning months or years. Customs vary from one forum to another, but it is common to find some forum discussions that continue for many years, or are resurrected when a member has something new to add.
  • Breadth and depth

A forum can cover a broad range of related topics, but by splitting up the discussions into many separate forum sections, it enables in-depth discussion of narrow topics. It is easy to ignore the topics that do not interest you, and to join other members in discussing interests that you share.

Online forum FAQ

• Is it free?
    The Japan Forum is entirely free, although we always appreciate donations in order to maintain the website and our server.
  • What do I need?
    Any web browser, preferably a recent version. If you have manually disabled Javascript, we recommend to re-enable it for the Japan Forum.
  • Is there an app for my smartphone?
    Currently, there is no application available for the Japan Forum, but our website is responsive which means it can easily be browsed across a wide range of devices (from desktop computer monitors to mobile phones).
  • Do I have to register?
    Like most forums, the Japan Forum allows unregistered guests to view limited parts of the forum, but not to post anything. By registering, you will gain access to posting plus additional forum features.
  • Can I register using my Facebook credentials?
    Yes, you can sign up using your Facebook account.
    facebook-signup.jpg

• What are the rules?
    Just like most forums the Japan Forum has a set of Rules as well as Terms of Service. Check these out before you register. You can expect to see "Don't post spam", "Don't post illegal stuff", "Don't post copyrighted stuff", plus other rules that will vary from one forum to another. Also, please remember that it's impossible to write a set of rules that will cover every possible situation. Therefore, if a moderator makes a decision, it has the same force as any written rule.
  • What about privacy and security?
    As with any website, you should act as though everything you post on a forum (including private conversations) might someday be read by an unauthorized person. Use a forum password that is different from any passwords you use elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom