Question Is this a valid kanji combination?

Discussion in 'Translations' started by 千ぜロ, Oct 23, 2018.

1. 千ぜロ

千ぜロ Kouhai

Hi,
    I was trying to use kanji to write the name Kevin. I found 袈便. Would that be a valid way of writing the name Kevin?
    Also, Google translate says that the above means honesty, but I have not been able to corroborate this on websites like Jisho. Does it really mean honesty?
    Thanks

2. Julie.chan

Julie.chan 後輩

The normal way to write the name "Kevin", and any other foreign name, is with katakana: ケヴィン or ケビン. "袈便" isn't a word or a name. It means nothing (in Japanese, at least).

I assume you were planning on getting a tattoo? At least, that's usually what people asking these sorts of questions are after.

3. 千ぜロ

千ぜロ Kouhai

Thank you, this was very helpful.
    I can imagine that most people would ask this for tattoos :emoji_smile:. Not in my case though, I just wanted a nice way to write my name (when communicating via text in Japanese) that was a bit more meaningful than straight up katakana. I'll stick to katakana though :emoji_wink:.

PS: I wonder how many people are walking around with meaningless tattoos because of google translate XD.

4. Julie.chan

Julie.chan 後輩

I don't know about Google Translate, but the nonsense Chinese and/or kanji tattoos are numerous.

Worthwhile read if you want a laugh: Im sorry but I want to make sure | Japan Forum

5. 千ぜロ

千ぜロ Kouhai

Hahahahahah, thanks for that. It was an amazing read!

6. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 禁漁期
    Staff Member Moderator

How about 華敏?

華 would be the best for "ke", but note that the most common reading of 華 is "ka".
    華 - Wiktionary

Kanji "bin" that has a positive nuance is not so many. 敏 would be most appropriate.
    敏 - Wiktionary