1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Mojibake 文字化け

Dear valued Members, due to the conversion to a new forum software a lot of threads in the 日本語 section display garbled Japanese characters. We are aware of the situation and work hard on resolving this issue. As all the corrections need to be done manually, this will take some time. We thank you for your patience and understanding!
    Dismiss Notice

Is this phrase correct?

Discussion in 'Learning Japanese' started by Armando, May 17, 2017.

1. Armando

Armando Kouhai

Hi,

I'm trying to build a phrase with 2 verbs, I have not been able to come with the right answer, the phrase I'm working on is:

"Only when I have a girlfriend I go to the movies, so, I go to the movies with a girlfriend"

what I have is:
    いつにかのじょはいますえいがにいきます。それから、かのじょといきます。
    (itsuni kanojowa imasu eigani ikimasu sorekara kanojoto ikimasu)

Thanks for your help.

2. OoTmaster

OoTmaster 先輩

I am pretty sure you would want to phrase this as a conditional but I could be incorrect. Also kanojyo is not the topic of the sentence so you wouldn't use wa.
    彼女がいましたら。 (if there's girlfriend) I'm not sure how the other part of the sentence would be structured. Someone please correct me if this is not correct as I'm saying this for confirmation on my part as well. (笑)

3. Armando

Armando Kouhai

I also have that doubt about wa after kanojo, however, in this case, I used wa as emphasis particle not as topic marker. Not sure if it's right thought.

4. OoTmaster

OoTmaster 先輩

I don't think it's correct to use it that way. Perhaps I'm wrong though. For some reason が seems more natural to me even in your sentence. I've only been studying 5 years though so I still come across a lot of things where my thinking is incorrect.

5. Armando

Armando Kouhai

Right and wa/ga is one of those complex topics when to use one and when to use the other :)

6. Mike Cash

Mike Cash 骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう

彼女がいる時だけにしか映画を見に行かないから、映画館にいれば必ずそばに彼女がいる。

Or something like that. I don't know if this fulfils your goal of using two verbs, though.

7. Armando

Armando Kouhai

Thanks Mike,
    Thanks for your reply, I'm not well versed in reading kanji yet :( I was not able to read correctly your phrase, I have:

かのじょがいるときだけにしかえいがをみにいかないから,
    (kanojoga iru toki dakeni shika eigawo minii kanai kara, )
    えいがかんに いれば かならず そばに かのじょが いる
    (eigakanni ireba kanarazu sobani kanojoga iru)

8. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 松葉解禁
    Staff Member Moderator

Hiragana version is correct, but the parsing is not correct, especially about "minii kanai". It should be "mini ikanai" or "miniikanai".

Kanojo ga iru toki dake ni shika eiga wo mini ikanai kara,
    eigakan ni ireba kanarazu soba ni kanojo ga iru.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mike Cash

Mike Cash 骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう

And please feel free to correct or improve it.

10. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 松葉解禁
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, my attempt is not so different. The literal translation would be;

かのじょがいるときだけ、えいがをみにいきます。だからかのじょとえいがをみにいきます。

11. Mike Cash

Mike Cash 骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう

It gets away from what he was trying to do, but I think I would be more likely to say it as:

彼女なしでは映画を見に行かない

It covers all aspects of the intent and meaning, but more compactly.

12. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 松葉解禁
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, probably that's he actually wanted to say.
    Another version:
    えいがをみにいくのは、かのじょがいるときだけです。

13. Armando

Armando Kouhai

Thanks a lot both, Mike and Toritoribe, at my current level the one that make more sense for me was:

kanojoga iru toki dake, eigawo mini ikimasu. dakara kanojoto eigawo mini ikimasu

This one is still too advance for me:
    Kanojoga iru toki dakeni shika eigawo mini ikanai kara,
    eigakanni ireba kanarazu sobani kanojoga iru.

actually I'm still trying to figure out how to use "sobani" I think that is inteded as "besides" or "while":
    "having a girlfriend is the only moment I go see a movie, if I go to the movie theater is always while I have a girlfriend"

Regards,

14. OoTmaster

OoTmaster 先輩

The "eigakanni ireba kanarazu sobani kanojoga iru" part would translate into English somewhat like "If I go to the movies, without exception I have my/a girlfriend with me"

15. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 松葉解禁
    Staff Member Moderator

The key of the Mike-san's translation is 映画館にいれば, not 行けば.;)