iTranslate = Useless

Discussion in 'Learning Japanese' started by ジョナサン, Jan 11, 2018.

1. ジョナサン

ジョナサン Registered

I got this app on my desktop (mac) for translating Mandarin originally and loved it. So convenient that it's always there in the bar ready for me to pop in a word to translate.

With Japanese however this is not the case...

It seems to be able to take Japanese and convert it to English ok. But whenever I try to put English in the translation is always an uncommon Katakana phrase. Nearly everything it spits back at me is just a Katana equivalent to the point where I can't use it anymore and search elsewhere.

Aside from my rant (and seeing if others have found this as frustrating as I have) I'm curious if there's a better alternative for mac? I just want something that sits in the bar ready to give me some Japanese translation.

This is also my first post on the forum so Hello!

どうぞよろしく

2. Mike Cash

Mike Cash 骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう

Welcome to the forum.

I can certainly understand why you don't like it throwing katana at you. I would find that unsettling myself.

There are things that sit in the bar ready to give you Japanese translation, but nothing you'd want to take out in the daylight as a general thing.

3. ジョナサン

ジョナサン Registered

ああ!

Katakana* haha yes I guess having an overly simplified phrase that isn't used that much is better than a Katana thrown in my face!