What's new

Japan Photos 2016

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Although one day shy, I would like to revive @WonkoTheSane 's photo thread for 2016 where our members can contribute Japan-related or not so Japan-related pictures they shoot throughout the year.

I'd like to start with two shots I took this morning in a nearby park while walking the dog. I wish the depth-of-field was shallower, but I had to both tackle the wanchan and wield my lens before the kingfisher shown below disappeared.

full

Kawasemi - Common kingfisher

full

Aosagi (蒼鷺), a grey heron

I can definitely see myself joining the cohorts of senior citizens hauling their monstrous telephoto lenses worth a second-hand car through the park every morning, just to get that perfect shot. It's exciting! :)

Anyhow, I am looking forward to seeing your photos in 2016!

This is yesterday, the 2nd, but it was the same the day before, too. Some bits of dishware are pretty old.
new years food.JPG

(that's me in the blue shirt)

A Happy New Year!

Here are some photos of new year dishes - "onishime" (stewed various vegetables and chicken) and "ozōni" (mochi in soup, Tokyo style).
Kagami-mochi (stacked rice cakes) with a monkey ornament, and modern type of shōgatsu kazari (new year ornament) on our door.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    813.7 KB · Views: 174
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 172
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    944.8 KB · Views: 187
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    816.8 KB · Views: 172
Although one day shy, I would like to revive @WonkoTheSane 's photo thread for 2016 where our members can contribute Japan-related or not so Japan-related pictures they shoot throughout the year.

I'd like to start with two shots I took this morning in a nearby park while walking the dog. I wish the depth-of-field was shallower, but I had to both tackle the wanchan and wield my lens before the kingfisher shown below disappeared.

full

Kawasemi - Common kingfisher

full

Aosagi (蒼鷺), a grey heron

I can definitely see myself joining the cohorts of senior citizens hauling their monstrous telephoto lenses worth a second-hand car through the park every morning, just to get that perfect shot. It's exciting! :)

Anyhow, I am looking forward to seeing your photos in 2016!
Great photos. I've seen grey herons in some of the small concrete-lined rivers that pass through the suburbs of Tokyo.

full

Cherry blossoms at our neighbourhood temple. It's been a short and chilly sakura season this year (iPhone 6).

Such pretty pictures!! Stumbled upon this thread while browsing, I hope more people will update this thread! (I'm not in Japan so I cant contribute) But its a very nice idea! Going to watch this thread ! :D Checking out last year's pics as well! thanks for the link!

Hi, let me dedicate a photo I took a famous restaurant in Osaka. The popular food there is 近大まぐろ(Kindai Tsuna) and there are always people lining up. That day was my birthday and there's no lining up as it was a weekday, so for the first time I went there with my gf. Of course we ate Kindai Tsuna, which was awesomely delicious! Other dishes were also great. As far as I remember, it cost us JPY 4,000 for each, so it's a bit expensive but it's truly worthwhile.

Attachments

• P_20160622_194328_HDR.jpg
    P_20160622_194328_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 147
Shinobazu-no-ike, a huge pond in Ueno Park, Tokyo.
At this time of year, it is covered with lotus leaves. To enjoy the flowers, you have to go there in the morning, otherwise all you see are huge leaves and buds... (Still they are beautiful.)
This photo was taken last weekend.
Ov3nPL.jpg

Sublime light this morning after the first day of snowfall.

Not a good set of photos, but interesting: I ran across a 1970s era Ford Pantera in Yokohama.

BnDR9U.jpg

70G3Y9.jpg

The two guys in the window belonged to the car, they were overjoyed I was photographing it.

A beauty I found in my neighbourhood, exposed to the elements and with vegetation growing under the bonnet. If my Wikipedia research is correct, it's a first-generation T-Bird (produced 1955-57). :eek:

thunderbird.jpg

About '85, I'd guess. Extremely clean & unmarked, manual, and I kind of startled the woman driver. It sounded really nice as she zoomed off, and no oil smoke at all:

About '85, I'd guess. Extremely clean & unmarked, manual, and I kind of startled the woman driver. It sounded really nice as she zoomed off, and no oil smoke at all:

Gorgeous! When I was younger I had a similar one, though nowhere near as nice. Awesome little 2.2 liter engine. I always lusted after the Supra back then, but never owned one.

I guess I'll wedge these in here before 2016 is gone. Just playing around at home with something that was on the kitchen table. Maybe I'll pick up a sprayer so next time I can mist them a little. Same flower, two angles:

pink rose-1 small.jpg

pink rose-2.png

Back
Top Bottom