What's new

Ryoma

Registered
15 Sep 2015
hey guys, my name is Ryoma Brunel and ive had an interest in joining the JGSDF since the age of 18. Right now, i am age 20, have a high school education, reside in NYC, and have dual citizenship for the USA, and JAPAN. My Japanese is almost native when it comes to speaking, but reading and writing is something i have difficulty with. I can read hiragana, a bit of kata, and a hand full of kanji, but in these years i will be studying daily for fluency. Nobody in my family or extended have relations to the Jietai. I currently have a plan for moving to japan in the next 2-3 years, Im working to raise money enough to live there for a couple months untill i find a job, and will have backup work in tokyo in a restaurant if things go a bit south, as well i have half my family to fall back on. More importantly, im asking for more information if it is possible for someone like me to Apply to the JGSDF. given my Japanese will be about close to native in a couple years, questions i have are What is the age limit to join, if my Japanese passport is enough or considered residency, and if my high school education will come in the way of joining.

thank you guys in advance!

You have to be under 27.

The biggest obstacle in your path at present is being illiterate. There are tests to be taken just to get in, and if accepted training materials and tons of written Japanese to be dealt with just in the course of everyday work and living.

You're really going to have to do some super-inspired serious catchup work on learning to read if you are to have any chance of success.

You have to be under 27.

The biggest obstacle in your path at present is being illiterate. There are tests to be taken just to get in, and if accepted training materials and tons of written Japanese to be dealt with just in the course of everyday work and living.

You're really going to have to do some super-inspired serious catchup work on learning to read if you are to have any chance of success.
Thanks Mike, looks like i have about 5-6 years (hopefully at least 3 of those years in japan) to study. i dont have much going on other than work and a hobby or two, so i will be spending daily free-time, at least a couple hours a day studying Japanese. If my dreams couldnt be acheived, the Japanese i have learned will only be a possitive effect on my career seeking.

I agree with Mike. And, please realize that what you learn to read/write might only be textbook material, not authentic stuff.
How's your speaking/listening ability along those lines? You wrote that it almost native, but how are you judging that?

Also, I hope you realize that having both passports is a very controversial topic here. Technically speaking, you can't after the age of 22. People will tell you that you can, but you have to keep it secret.

I agree with Mike. And, please realize that what you learn to read/write might only be textbook material, not authentic stuff.
How's your speaking/listening ability along those lines? You wrote that it almost native, but how are you judging that?

Also, I hope you realize that having both passports is a very controversial topic here. Technically speaking, you can't after the age of 22. People will tell you that you can, but you have to keep it secret.
i understand that, and will eventually branch off and learn as i go using apps such as midori, its really my only choice in learning kanji. my speaking/ listening is judged based on the Japanese people around me. Ive worked in 3 Japanese workplaces, which all requires me to speak in keigo, be able to take orders and understand and interact with high level businessmen in some occasions. As well as i have Japanese family and friends around me who use Japanese around me daily. And i do know people who have both passports, as long as you dont bring it up as i heard, it will be ok, otherwise i will sort that out in the future i suppose,

You're going to need something more than just farting about with apps if you seriously intend to make up what is twelve years of schooling here in just two or three years of self-study.

You've got to learn to read. You've got to learn to write. You've got to put in enough heavy hours of building up your reading speed and comprehension. Since you have the advantage of already being familiar with the language, i would suggest getting your Japanese relatives to hit the bookstores for you and send you lots of study and drill materials according to school grade level,

This ticks me off. Why wouldn't you mention such relevant speaking experience before, and not waste our time? Thanks, but it is a little late.

How is it that you could have had such work experience and never faced reading or writing on the job?

I agree with Mike. Get apps to supplement your studies, but enroll in a formal course, or get textbooks. To say apps are your "only choice" in learning kanji is shortsighted. Go to the Anki web site and make flash cards, which the site will drill you on, in a realistic way.

Why join the jieitai, if you don't mind my asking? Short term career, and with PM Abe's plan for changing the constitution, you might want to reconsider how safe it will be to join.

Why join the jieitai, if you don't mind my asking? Short term career, and with PM Abe's plan for changing the constitution, you might want to reconsider how safe it will be to join.
Glenski, sorry for wasting youre time, but this was me when i was alot younger and didnt know what to do with my life quite yet. i was raising money for college and my intentions of going to japan were unrealistic so i never tried to further learn. when paperwork did come up, they had other people on the job.

Also, the reason i wanted to join the defence force was because i wanted to be a part of the force that went out and did disaster relief in japan, and around the world, while being the main defence from the aggressors of japan. i suppose its a childish thought to go out and say one day, "i want to join the defence force" but this is the profession i would very much be happy to work in, even for short term. This is something to say i accomplished for myself and is a personal goal aswell, I am aware of Abe's plan for the jsdf, Im not quite sure if that plan will be set into motion, but i do have 5-6 years to find out, and when time comes i will re-evaluate weather i want to join or not. but if i believe that those decisions will help with the national defence of japan, i believe i will still have interest to join.

Glenski, sorry for wasting youre time, but this was me when i was alot younger and didnt know what to do with my life quite yet. i was raising money for college and my intentions of going to japan were unrealistic so i never tried to further learn. when paperwork did come up, they had other people on the job.
You misunderstood my remark about wasting time. I meant that you should have mentioned your work experience with Japanese companies instead of just saying you were highly fluent in speaking (in your first post). That's because we don't know what you meant by highly fluent until several posts later.

And, could you elaborate on that type of work a little more, please?

Do you also know what Abe is proposing for national security changes? You should! It might affect your decision for mere disaster relief responsibilities.

You misunderstood my remark about wasting time. I meant that you should have mentioned your work experience with Japanese companies instead of just saying you were highly fluent in speaking (in your first post). That's because we don't know what you meant by highly fluent until several posts later.

And, could you elaborate on that type of work a little more, please?

Do you also know what Abe is proposing for national security changes? You should! It might affect your decision for mere disaster relief responsibilities.
If you meant the work i did in nyc,
Ive worked in Japanese restaurants as metre d, waiter and an in between for the manager, handled certain important Japanese customers, ive also worked at a family mart for a bit, then i got a fulltime job as an designer for about a year which has no affiliation to Japanese other than 4 Japanese coworkers, and right now im working part time in Kinokuniya bookstore, in the logistics dept. i was hopping that surrounding myself to this atmosphere it will aid me in my reading writing. i just started work this month.

From the knowledge i can pull out of myself now about the planned Constitution change,
last time i heard it was about how he wanted to send Japanese SDF to the middle east to aid with american interests. The bill is not passed yet and there may be a chance it wont. Theres alot of controversy surrounding the plan, and alot of Japanese opposition. As for my opinion to defend the reason of me joining, This may be japans chance to advance further militarily, and a chance to have combat ready troops. Though it is not Japans fight, this might as well be Japans only chance to further themselves and show more beef to China, and other agressors and catch up to the world militarily. So i believe it may be a nessessary step to Japans national security, as it might as well be its only option due to americas hold on the situation, otherwise i dont believe keeping a pacifist mindset in this age is very ideal mindset. with that I believe I would still contribute myself.

If im talking to much i apologize in advance, and if this all sounds ignorant, again i apologize and will continue to do a bit more research. But i thank you for the input as this has all been very helpfull!

If you meant the work i did in nyc,
There you go again with incomplete information. Have you worked in a Japanese language environment elsewhere? Please be clearer.

Ive worked in Japanese restaurants as metre d, waiter and an in between for the manager, handled certain important Japanese customers, ive also worked at a family mart for a bit, then i got a fulltime job as an designer for about a year which has no affiliation to Japanese other than 4 Japanese coworkers, and right now im working part time in Kinokuniya bookstore, in the logistics dept. i was hopping that surrounding myself to this atmosphere it will aid me in my reading writing. i just started work this month.
If all of these jobs were in NYC, then how can you say they were in work environments where Japanese fluency was required? It sounds like your speaking ability was used only sporadically on all of those jobs.

We know your Japanese reading & writing ability needs a lot of work. But, I also have to add that your English is not the greatest either. If you're just being careless because this is an internet forum, ok, but you really need to learn how to spell better. Just a casual critique, not a vent.

As for my opinion to defend the reason of me joining, This may be japans chance to advance further militarily
Why do they need to?

Back
Top Bottom