1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Mojibake 文字化け

Dear valued Members, due to the conversion to a new forum software a lot of threads in the 日本語 section display garbled Japanese characters. We are aware of the situation and work hard on resolving this issue. As all the corrections need to be done manually, this will take some time. We thank you for your patience and understanding!
    Dismiss Notice

Lagrange Point

Discussion in 'Learning Japanese' started by Astralogic, Mar 16, 2017.

1. lanthas

lanthas  

That's correct.

The sentences in this intro are all quite simple, so you could have a go at translating multiple ones or even all of them in one go.

2. Astralogic

Astralogic 後輩

Thanks Ianthas. OK, I'll have a go at multiple sentences.

移住用コロニー「ランド1」「ランド2」、工業用コロニー「サテライトベース」の3基である。
    "There are three zones, "Land 1" and "Land 2" are the residential colonies and "Satellite Base" is the industrial colony."

I translated 移住用コロニー as residential colonies because that is what I imagine a "colony for emigration use" to literally be and I think this is how it might be translated in English.

そしてさらに、周囲には、資材として運ばれてきた小惑星「ヴェスタ」の破片が浮遊していた。
    "Furthermore, in their vicinity floats a fragment of the asteroid "Vesta", which was pulled in for it's resources."

人々はこの大コロニー団を「イシス星団」と名付け、移民の年をイシス歴元年と定めた。
    "The people named this large colony group the "Isis Star Cluster", and the year of emigration (to the colony) was deemed the first historical year of Isis."

3. lanthas

lanthas  

The tense of the second line is off (浮遊してい), but other than that it's fine. I was wondering about the "star cluster" translation (seems like a rather large-scale word to use for a colony), but after searching for it, I found that it is in fact correct.

Keep going :)

4. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 松葉解禁
    Staff Member Moderator

イシス歴元年 means "the first year of the Isis calender." They established a new calendar, and named it イシス歴 the Isis calender.
    cf.
    グレゴリオ暦
    the Gregorian calendar

ユリウス暦
    the Julian calendar

5. Astralogic

Astralogic 後輩

#30 Astralogic, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    Oh, it floated, bugger, I missed that.

Star Cluster does seem strange at first but there are three space stations, and would presumably look (from a distance) like a cluster of three stars (they seem to be going vaguely for an Egyptian holy trinity theme).

I see, thank you. I'm quite surprised I didn't get more stuff wrong :D

Edit: I noticed that グレゴリオ暦 and イシス歴 are using different kanji yet both still mean calendar. So those two kanji are both read as れき and can both mean calendar?

Alright then, here's another three sentences:

やがて「ランド1」「ランド2」の内壁面に人工の大地が整備されていた。
    "Eventually an artificial Earth-like habitat was established on the surface of the inner wall of Land 1 and 2."

Here I guess 人工の大地 means something like Earth-like habitat. Here I'm imagining some sort of dyson sphere, with an earth like environment on the inner surface.

山が築かれ、小川が引かれ、小川は大きな水路となり湖に注がれていた。
    "Mountains were constructed and rivers were formed, rivers that flowed into large waterways leading to lakes."

This one is hard, I am uncertain about this translation, mainly 水路となり湖.

イシスの市民はいつしかここを”第二の地球”と呼ぶようになり、作物を育て、家畜を飼育し、平穏な暮らしを営んでいた。
    "The people of Isis lived a peaceful existence growing crops and raising livestock. Before long they thought of it as a second Earth."

6. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 松葉解禁
    Staff Member Moderator

暦 is the correct kanji, as in the original. I just copied and pasted it from your post without noticing the typo.

整備されていた。
    This ~ていく shows continuous action.

小川は大きな水路となり is a clause. 小川は大きな水路になる makes more sense?

The rest seems OK.

7. Astralogic

Astralogic 後輩

Me and my typos :facepalm: Thanks for the clarification.

やがて「ランド1」「ランド2」の内壁面に人工の大地が整備されていった。
    "Eventually an artificial Earth-like habitat was being established on the surface of the inner wall of Land 1 and 2."

"Mountains were constructed and small rivers were formed, small rivers that become large waterways that flow into lakes."

8. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 松葉解禁
    Staff Member Moderator

なり is used just to connect two clauses. It doesn't modify 湖.

9. Astralogic

Astralogic 後輩

Oh, it was way simpler then I thought. Thank you.

"Mountains were constructed and small rivers were formed, small rivers that become large waterways and flowed into lakes."

And the final intro sentence:

だが、イシス暦0026年。かつてない悲劇がイシスを襲う。突如現れた「バイオ軍」がイシスを恐怖と戦慄の世界に変えてしまったのである。
    "However, in the year 0026 of the Isis calendar, in an unprecedented disaster, Isis is attacked. The Bio Army suddenly appears, turning Isis into a world of fear and terror."

10. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 松葉解禁
    Staff Member Moderator

大きな水路となり doesn't modify 小川, either.

かつてない悲劇 is the subject of 襲う.
    突如現れた modifies バイオ軍.
    You seem to be confusing the two structures; 小川は大きな水路となった/なり vs. 大きな水路になった小川 or 突如現れた「バイオ軍」vs. 「バイオ軍」が突如現れた/現れ.

11. Astralogic

Astralogic 後輩

Thank you Toritoribe-san

Wow, I was so sure I had it that time. This one's harder then I anticipated. OK, so, after some serious thinking about it I have managed to come up this: "Mountains were constructed and small rivers were formed, small rivers that flowed into large waterways and lakes."

If that is right, I was confused by not knowing precisely what two things となり was "connecting".

だが、イシス暦0026年。かつてない悲劇がイシスを襲う。突如現れた「バイオ軍」がイシスを恐怖と戦慄の世界に変えてしまったのである。

襲う has one particular meaning of "to make a sudden visit", this is the meaning being used yes?

My modified attempt: "But in the year 26 of the Isis calendar an unprecedented disaster befell Isis. The Bio Army that suddenly appeared turned Isis into a world of fear and terror."

12. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 松葉解禁
    Staff Member Moderator

The main problem is "that" in "small rivers that flowed into large waterways".
    大きな水路となり doesn't modify 小川, as I wrote, so 小川は大きな水路となり just means "small rivers became/flowed into large waterways, and..."

Yes, and your translation is correct. Incidentally, there is no problem to translate it freely as "The Bio Army suddenly appears, and turned..." for natural English if you understand the structure correctly.

13. Astralogic

Astralogic 後輩

Oh I see now, I really wasn't getting it :/ Thanks for the clarification.

So となり connects 大きな水路 and 湖 making "large waterway and lakes". Therefore the last part of this sentence would simply be "small rivers became large waterways and lakes"?

The reason why I always felt the need to include "that" in "small rivers that become..." is because of 小川 being repeated.

Mountains were constructed and small rivers were formed, small rivers became large waterways and lakes.

I may have the sentence translated wrong still, but I feel like I have to stick "that" in there after "small rivers" for it to sound right.

14. lanthas

lanthas  

#39 lanthas, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    Not "and" as in "this thing and that one", but as in "first this thing happened and then that one". The masu-stem of なる is used in exactly the same way as the preceding 築かれ and 引かれ.

If you encounter a masu-stem that's not used as a noun (as in 宝探し, the act of searching for treasure) and is not part of a compound verb (as in 切り取る), you can place an imaginary comma behind it to make the sentence structure more clear:

小川は大きな水路となり湖に注がれていた。

15. Astralogic

Astralogic 後輩

#40 Astralogic, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    So, if I understand correctly what you're saying (and it seems simple enough) then the translation below should be correct:

Mountains were constructed and small rivers were formed, small rivers became large waterways and then flowed into lakes.

Although there is still that double "small rivers" which sounds strange, how about this: "Mountains were constructed and small rivers were formed, they became large waterways and then flowed into lakes."

16. lanthas

lanthas  

#41 lanthas, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Yes, you got it. Don't worry about repetition too much; what counts is that you understand the Japanese sentence correctly. When it comes to writing a natural-sounding translation, you can keep tweaking it absolutely forever.

Mountains were constructed. Small waterways were laid down which eventually evolved to large rivers flowing into lakes.

Mountains were erected. Streams appeared, followed by rivers and lakes.

The colonists started shaping their new world to look like home. They gouged out the earth, creating canals, rivers and eventually entire lakes. The dug-out soil and rock were used to form artificial hills and mountains.​

And so on and so forth. Just move on to the next sentence :)

17. Astralogic

Astralogic 後輩

OK got it.

temp.jpg

This timeline of events seems simple enough:

イシス暦0024年: ランド2のバイオ研究所で事故発生。原因は不明。
    "Isis Year 0024: An accidental outbreak occurs in a bio lab in Land 2. Cause unknown."

イシス暦0025年: バイオ研究所から流失した微生物でランド2汚染。ミュータント誕生。
    Isis Year 0025: Land 2 is contaminated by the microbes released from the bio lab. The birth of the mutants.

イシス暦0026年: バイオノイド3将軍、バイオ軍を結成。
    バイオ軍、機械兵クリーチャー部隊を組織。
    地球からの第一次調査隊到着。消息不明。
    イシス戦争勃発。
    バイオ軍、ランド2を制圧。
    ランド2市民、レジスタンス部隊を組織。
    "Isis Year 0026: "The three Bionoid leaders form the Bio Army.
    The Bio Army formed a corp of mechanical soldiers.
    The first investigation team arrives from Earth. Affiliation unknown.
    The Isis War errupts.
    The Bio Army takes full control of Land 2.
    The people of Land 2 form a resistance."

Is クリーチャー部隊 the name of the group, or just a description?
    Here (and below) I translated 消息不明 as "affiliation unknown", I'm really not sure if it's the best way to translate it though.

イシス暦0027年: バイオ軍、ランド1に侵攻。
    "Isis Year 0027: "The Bio Army invades Land 1."

イシス暦0028年: バイオ軍、ランド1をほぼ制圧。
    イシス星団、地球との交信を完全に断つ。
    "Isis Year 0028: The Bio Army almost completely dominates Land 1.
    The Isis star cluster's communication with Earth is completely cut off."

イシス暦0029年: ウルフ隊長率いるサイボーグ部隊、ランド2到着。
    第3次調査隊、ランド1到着。消息不明。
    "Isis Year 0029: "The Cyborg Unit, lead by commander Wolf, arrives in Land 2.
    The third investigation team arrives in Land 1, affiliation unknown."

I'm quite confident about all that.

18. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 松葉解禁
    Staff Member Moderator

I think it's just "creature troops".

消息不明: Untraceable/Their information is unknown.
    Are you confusing 消息(しょうそく) with 所属(しょぞく), by any chance?

19. lanthas

lanthas  

消息 is one of those compound words consisting of opposing kanji (有無 and 去来 are other examples). 消 refers to death and 息 to life. 消息不明: unclear whether dead or alive, and thus more generally, unclear what happened to the people in question.

イシス星団、地球との交信を完全に断つ is an active sentence: it's Isis which cuts off contact. If you translate it passively ("communication is cut off"), this detail is lost.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 松葉解禁
    Staff Member Moderator

Ah, my translation is ambiguous. It should be "Their information after arrival."

21. Astralogic

Astralogic 後輩

Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing :/ I think "Contact lost" could be a good way to say it.

This is a little confusing. イシス星団 did it? Does that mean that the remaining people on the colonies severed contact or did the mutants do it during the attack? Presumably it was the mutants, but why refer to them as イシス星団?

22. jt_

jt_ 人生絶賛迷走中

Go back and read the original intro.

イシス星団 refers to the collection of colonies─in other words, a location.

The colonies (which have presumably been taken over by the mutants, though no one can say for sure because all the survey teams are getting slaughtered─or worse─before they can report back) cut off all contact with Earth.

It's not really all that strange or confusing.

23. Astralogic

Astralogic 後輩

Right I see, I thought イシス星団 was referring to the colony and colonists (what remains of them), ie not the mutants.

I'll skip the rest of the manual and only work on what I need from it as I need it. I will start the actual game soon.

24. Astralogic

Astralogic 後輩

Here is the in-game version of the intro, it's hard because it doesn't use kanji nor punctuation so that's all added by me and could be wrong.

22世紀、人類は地球を塔く離れたラグランジュポイントに巨大なオアシスを建造した。

ランド1、ランド2、サテライトベース3つのスペースコロニーは「イシス星団」と名付けられた。

だがイシス暦0024年・・・ランド2にバイオハザードが発生、地球との連絡が途絶える。

さらに はけんされた うちゅうていも 次々と消息をたつ・・・そして今 最後の調査隊がランド1のポートに入ろうとしていた。パイロットのジンは自らを待つ、運命をこの時まだ知らない。

1. 3つ is read as さんつ?

2. The lack of kanji makes the other words hard to determine.

3. 自らを待つ: Is this an idiom?

25. jt_

jt_ 人生絶賛迷走中

1. みっつ

2. 派遣された 宇宙艇 (maybe 宇宙偵 is also possible as a sort of 造語?) 消息を絶つ (if you do a simple google search for this it should come up).

3. 自ら is a fancy word for 自分. 自分を待つ運命 is pretty straightforward, no?