Low carb restaurants and how to say "no rice, please"

Discussion in 'Japanese Food & Recipes' started by Enzian13, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Enzian13

Enzian13 Registered

Hi all. Next week we are travelling to Japan for the first time and we are all very excited! Our son is a T1 diabetic and we all usually eat a low carb diet. I understand this might be difficult in Japan and was wondering if any of you no of a low carb restaurant in Kyoto, Tokyo and/or Osaka. It would be much appreciated if someone can also tell me how to write/say "No rice, please" and "No noodles, please" in Japanese. TIA!

2. Toritoribe

Toritoribe 禁漁期
    Staff Member Moderator

ご飯抜きでお願いします Gohan nuki de onegaishimasu and 麺抜きでお願いします Men nuki de onegaishimasu, respectively.

3. Glenski

Glenski Just me

I believe Japanese rice is already about 10 grams less in carbohydrates per every 100-gram serving. I'm sure you'll get a lot of quizzical looks from the servers when you say "no rice". As for noodles, Japan has a multitude of types: udon, soba, ramen, somen. Have you looked into their carb content as well?

Many dishes have sauces with sugar (it's a near-staple with soy sauce, mirin, and sake combined).