What's new

Mature subsection desperately needs an explanation

Mark of Zorro

先輩
4 Oct 2012
I noticed the new mature subsection to the serious discussion section.

As much as I am basically ambivalent with the move, it desperately needs a sticky with an explanation as to what content will and will not be allowed, and what precise purpose it was put there to serve.

I assume its there to segregate all that nasty sex talk and references to horrible, disgusting nudity. But I have no idea if this means anything that was not acceptable before has become acceptable. In fact, I have not the foggiest idea what is acceptable since the forum shift into Victorian times. I remember a time when you could just say "sex". Suddenly we have to use the euphemism of "mature".

Will any locked threads be reopened?

I assume that discussions of violence, blood, murder, torture and butchery are still ok, clean, wholesome above board, acceptable, rated G and all that. Its just that appalling disgusting sex talk we need to curb into its own subsection right?

Last edited:
Thomas can give the full details, but my understanding is that it's because Google Adsense keeps complaining/sending warnings about various threads, and it's a better option than deleting stuff. If you don't have adblockers on, you may notice there's no adsense ads in that subforum. Other than that, there's no difference.

I don't think there's a strict line to draw, but the sort of stuff I am likely to move from the language subforums would be things like AV translations. But you're right, we do need to update the forum rules to explain what should be in there.

Our Rules and policies remain unchanged. The "mature" section will cover the small spectrum of such content still permissible by our ToS, but in violation of Google Adsense policies

=> Prohibited content - AdSense Help

The word "mature" may perhaps be misleading, the "subsection of the forbidden" would probably be more appropriate.

I would think the title should not have "mature" in it. "Serious talk" is enough, which to me, implies no facebook or other junk dragged from the net.
Now, that Google has registered the position of the tread, may lead (if changed) to less traffic.

I think you should re-read Thomas's last post and click the button.

"Serious talk" would be an odd subsection for the "Serious Discussion" section, don't you think?

Not a fan of euphemism, such as "adult content". Its just sexual content and I don't see a problem with calling it that. But I think that was the main reason for the subsection, sexual discussions.

Considering all that Thomas has included as general topics though, "The forbidden" is not bad at all.

But probably the most accurate though might be "What gets Google's censors' panties in a twist".

I truly wish the freedom of speech was a more pan-general thing and enforced by law. In speech we should never be walking on eggshells just because of people's rather pathetic sensitivities to things like the truth, facts, and opinions about non-personal matters and no corporation should be able to demand censorship of same in any way, shape or form.

His (Thomas's) post says:
The word "mature" may perhaps be misleading, the "subsection of the forbidden" would probably be more appropriate.
The degenaration of the human kind, induced by Google and perfected by Facebook, really leaves a little room for anything meaningful.
The dictators the world over love it. No elections would say what people think better than "big data" analysis that any roughs in power have at their fingertips. Now the dictators love to see that the people are like cattle.
Mubarak (Egypt) fell only when he shut down the Internet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom