What's new

MEXT Scholarship (Graduate Students) 2017

In Haneda Airport right now, awainting my connection to Nagoya! I hope you all manage to get here without much trouble.

And also I just wanted to say it was nice to chat with you guys during this long long application process, you made it a lot easier! :) Have a great time in Japan!

I hope everyone's having an easier time of it then I am haha.

I'm sure taking a lot of classes for someone who isn't technically an enrolled student!

I'm so glad to have had the opportunity to talk with everyone throughout this process! You have all been so helpful and kind, so thank you.

I've been having many problems with my supervising professor here already. I talked to the international support staff and they were very kind and opened up a line of communication and have been helping me out a lot. If anyone is having problems communicating with their supervising professor, definitely ask for some advice! It's been invaluable to me.

I'm so glad to have had the opportunity to talk with everyone throughout this process! You have all been so helpful and kind, so thank you.

I've been having many problems with my supervising professor here already. I talked to the international support staff and they were very kind and opened up a line of communication and have been helping me out a lot. If anyone is having problems communicating with their supervising professor, definitely ask for some advice! It's been invaluable to me.
What sort of problems? (If you dont mind me asking!)

What sort of problems? (If you dont mind me asking!)

He has been not replying to my emails, and he did not show up for a meeting that he arranged for us. He also has told his other students that I'm from Spain rather than Australia, which was quite odd haha. So it's been a bit difficult for me to figure out how to communicate with him.

He has been not replying to my emails, and he did not show up for a meeting that he arranged for us. He also has told his other students that I'm from Spain rather than Australia, which was quite odd haha. So it's been a bit difficult for me to figure out how to communicate with him.
Wow. That seems very odd. I wonder why he is doing that. You kind of go on a limb and trust a professor and join the University/lab, having such things happen the moment you arrive must be scary.
Glad to see you are not panicking. (I would have) I hope everything goes smoothly now!

Hi guys, i'm not sure if this is the right thread to be posting this query, cause it seems almost everyone here already got confirmation on their scholarship-recipient status (i have not). I recently received an email from the institution i applied to, which is GRIPS, stating that GRIPS is nominating me for the MEXT scholarship. The email also states that "MEXT does not reject candidates nominated by GRIPS except in cases of omissions or misinformation in the application submitted to MEXT via GRIPS." Just wondering how true is this quoted statement. Thanks in advance!

Hello,
I got accepted by Juntendo in Tokyo. Any chances to get stopped by MEXT at this point?
When in May will the final results come out?

Thanks

Hello everyone!
(Sorry if this is not the right place to post this)
I'm about to apply for the MEXT program for a master's of science degree in material engineering, focus on metallurgy.
Was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to review my "Field of Study and Study Program" paper and give feedback as this is the first time I ever write anything like this and it feels like I'm fumbling to write a good one.
All criticism is appreciated!

This is a link to my current version it, you can comment directly at the link or in this forum and I will read it. Thanks in advance for your help!
r.fieldofstudy (1).docx - Google Docs

Last edited:
Hello everyone!
(Sorry if this is not the right place to post this)
I'm about to apply for the MEXT program for a master's of science degree in material engineering, focus on metallurgy.
Was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to review my "Field of Study and Study Program" paper and give feedback as this is the first time I ever write anything like this and it feels like I'm fumbling to write a good one.
All criticism is appreciated!

This is a link to my current version it, you can comment directly at the link or in this forum and I will read it. Thanks in advance for your help!
r.fieldofstudy (1).docx - Google Docs
Try something like this. You have explained why you want to do your research but I think adding a schedule might be a good idea.
Hello~ I feel like a big reason why I was awarded the monbusho scholarship, was because of the assistance freely given on online communities like this one. So, to pay that forward, I've uploaded a research proposal for people to look at to structure their own proposals.

Full disclaimer, the research proposal I have uploaded was part of a failed application for the Monbusho scholarship in 2015, but it's much the same (in terms of its structure, though no subject matter) as the proposal I submitted for 2016, and was accepted upon.

Try something like this. You have explained why you want to do your research but I think adding a schedule might be a good idea.

The problem I have is that in this field you can't really just pick a topic and start working with it, you need some pretty big and expensive machines to even test things so it highly depends on what you are presented with. Do you suggest a make a schedule even if I might not even work with that specific process?
An example is 'precipitation hardening' and 'annealing', their process are on the surface the same, but the result is completely different and needs different equipment and material, and personally I have no problem researching either or most of the things surrounding metallurgy.

The problem I have is that in this field you can't really just pick a topic and start working with it, you need some pretty big and expensive machines to even test things so it highly depends on what you are presented with. Do you suggest a make a schedule even if I might not even work with that specific process?
An example is 'precipitation hardening' and 'annealing', their process are on the surface the same, but the result is completely different and needs different equipment and material, and personally I have no problem researching either or most of the things surrounding metallurgy.
Okay. I understand.
This is just guesswork now. I am not aware of research in your field, so its upto you to take my advice or not.

What you could do is look up some labs which you are interested in joining and check what research they are doing or what equipments they have.
Based on that what they are researching you can guess what equipment they have.
And even if the equipment is not available, you can say that this is what I have in mind but I am open to modifications in my plan.

No research plan is perfect, at least at this level. You end up modifying/adjusting stuff.

So, you can either look up labs and plan accordingly or make a generalized guess about what equipment is usually available and write/make the schedule.

I hope this helped. I cant help you with other details because i'm from a completely different field.

Since You have already arrived in Japan and spent probably about 1-2 months there, would some of you guys mind sharing his experience?

If you don't mind, can I ask you which school in Hiroshima University are you studying? I am applying MEXT this year and Hiroshima University is my first choice. But I am quite worry because of your comment about supervisor. Thank you.

If you don't mind, can I ask you which school in Hiroshima University are you studying? I am applying MEXT this year and Hiroshima University is my first choice. But I am quite worry because of your comment about supervisor. Thank you.

Education :) Things have improved a lot here since I first made that post! In fact, my supervisor was sick and hospitalised without my knowing. This university is really beautiful and relaxed and a wonderful environment for international students, so don't let my bad experience (which got better!) put you off.

Education :) Things have improved a lot here since I first made that post! In fact, my supervisor was sick and hospitalised without my knowing. This university is really beautiful and relaxed and a wonderful environment for international students, so don't let my bad experience (which got better!) put you off.
It's really good to know that. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Hope to see you there next year.

Since You have already arrived in Japan and spent probably about 1-2 months there, would some of you guys mind sharing his experience?

My experience is probably a bit different than others because the location of Hiroshima University is kind of inaka. It's such a strong community environment here, the town is pretty much just the university, so I recognise people everyone I go. For that reason I think it's been easier than I thought to feel comfortable here. My biggest recommendation to others is just to join things! See a flyer about a free bus tour? Join! An intercultural movie night? Join! Easiest way to meet people and feel part of the university.

My experience is probably a bit different than others because the location of Hiroshima University is kind of inaka. It's such a strong community environment here, the town is pretty much just the university, so I recognise people everyone I go. For that reason I think it's been easier than I thought to feel comfortable here. My biggest recommendation to others is just to join things! See a flyer about a free bus tour? Join! An intercultural movie night? Join! Easiest way to meet people and feel part of the university.
Yes I agree with this idea, being proactive is a key towards building networks in universities. :) @Salpies

Back
Top Bottom